DNA testing for ancestry?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
RE: DNA testing for ancestry?
(02-02-2015 09:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 08:55 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I've done a couple of versions of it. Familytreedna.com, 23andme.com, the national geographic genographic project all do it. The genographic project is neat, because it gives you your Y-DNA, haplogroup, mitochondrial DNA haplogroup, % of your DNA that comes from each region, and it also gives how much % of your DNA is Neanderthal and Denisovan. It also allows you to transfer your data to Familytreedna.com and it will show matches of your Y DNA and mitochondrial DNA in their database, so you could find relatives on the maternal line of your mom. One of the interesting things that arose for me, is that 2% of my DNA was sub-Saharan, which means that around 7 generations back, I have an African ancestor of which I had no idea, but after doing more research, I found is very common for Latin Americans.

Yup, mine was 3%. I guess having the Moors occupying the Iberian Peninsula for 700 years accounts for that.

Moors are not sub-Saharan Africans... It's a different piece of history accounting for that one.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 11:03 AM by ghostexorcist.)
(02-02-2015 10:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I agree with you that history is fascinating....

I guess I just don't see the history of relatives I've never met as very interesting.

Of course they were just a bunch of dirt farmers... Not a whole lotta excitement there.....

I often think about the hundreds of thousands, if not millions or billions, of generations that it took to produce me. What if my distant lineage had split in a different direction? Today, I could be anything from a sea sponge to an elephant, but I ended up as a human. Additionally, it is amazing to think about the number of people who had to come together to produce me. I am the product of some 200,000 years of chance encounters. My family lineage is my only link to the past, so by learning more about my genetic history, I learn more about my forebears. It's kind of like time travel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
(02-02-2015 10:33 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 09:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Yup, mine was 3%. I guess having the Moors occupying the Iberian Peninsula for 700 years accounts for that.

Moors are not sub-Saharan Africans... It's a different piece of history accounting for that one.

Not in my case.

Paternal grandparents arrived in the Americas only two generations ago, maternal side three. Both lineages are traceable to Spain. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
(02-02-2015 11:00 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I often think about the hundreds of thousands, if not millions or billions, of generations that it took to produce me. What if my distant lineage had split in a different direction? Today, I could be anything from a sea sponge to an elephant, but I ended up as a human.

Um, no. You are the unique set of genes that you comprise. You could be no other.

[/quote]
Additionally, it is amazing to think about the number of people who had to come together to produce me. I am the product of some 200,000 years of chance encounters. My family lineage is my only link to the past, so by learning more about my genetic history, I learn more about my forebears. It's kind of like time travel.
[/quote]

Yes, that is fascinating to explore; but why just 200,000 years?

What about great, great, great, great, great, great, ... great grandpa?

[Image: iPp1T.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-02-2015, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 02:42 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(02-02-2015 12:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  Um, no. You are the unique set of genes that you comprise. You could be no other.

Correct, but those genes obviously have a different phenotypic expression based on one's ancestry. I was taking into account divergences from various last common ancestors into different groups. The tiniest environmental pressure or change in mate choice preference in my extended family's distance past would have obviously resulted in a different set of genes. And this would have resulted in a different me--be it a sea sponge or even an elephant. But, baring the bald head and pale skin, I'm happy with the end result.

Quote:Yes, that is fascinating to explore; but why just 200,000 years?

What about great, great, great, great, great, great, ... great grandpa?

[Image: iPp1T.jpg]

Wasn't grandpa just the cutest little thing?!

That was just in reference to my more recent anatomically modern human lineage. From a much broader viewpoint, I am the end result of 3.5 billion years of chance (and not so chance) encounters. I'm just glad my ancestors, from the earliest form of RNA (sort of) life to my parents survived to have me. My older sister is still bitter that the universe conspired against her to create me, but, hey, shit happens.
02-02-2015, 01:26 PM
(02-02-2015 11:14 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 10:33 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Moors are not sub-Saharan Africans... It's a different piece of history accounting for that one.

Not in my case.

Paternal grandparents arrived in the Americas only two generations ago, maternal side three. Both lineages are traceable to Spain. Thumbsup

A) Sure, but those are crude averages for Latin American populations as a whole, which outside the southern cone has seen relatively small latter day immigrant groups subsumed into the general population. In any case, small percentages like that are both subject to error in detection and are explicable by almost any circumstance imaginable. Although I'd guess there are some locals, for lack of a better term, in your past, besides the peninsulares you know about; 3 generations gives you at least a dozen people to account for, right?

B) That still doesn't make Berbers sub-Saharan. Tongue

02-02-2015, 01:27 PM
(02-02-2015 01:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm just glad my ancestors, from the earliest form of RNA (sort of) life to my parents survived to have me.

Glad you may well be, but of course, had it not been just so, you wouldn't be in a position to be not glad about the difference...

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
02-02-2015, 02:08 PM
(02-02-2015 01:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 01:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm just glad my ancestors, from the earliest form of RNA (sort of) life to my parents survived to have me.

Glad you may well be, but of course, had it not been just so, you wouldn't be in a position to be not glad about the difference...

I'm glad you brought that up.
02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
It's a good idea if you really want to do it. If you want to rely on public or private institutions to do the dirty work for you it's going to cost a little, at the very least. I don't know much about my exact ancestry - I know it's mostly Celtic, Roman and Visigoths, as well as Mediterranean Europeans. As far as my individual ancestry I don't know much, but looking at myself, my features and skin colour I'd say it fits the description of the majority of my country's ancestors (but there are variations, some Portuguese people are blonde with blue eyes, while others like me are pale skinned with dark hair and dark eyes). My mother says that my family has Jewish ancestry (Israeli) from my grandfather's side, but I've never bothered to check it out

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
02-02-2015, 04:10 PM
(02-02-2015 11:00 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 10:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I agree with you that history is fascinating....

I guess I just don't see the history of relatives I've never met as very interesting.

Of course they were just a bunch of dirt farmers... Not a whole lotta excitement there.....

I often think about the hundreds of thousands, if not millions or billions, of generations that it took to produce me. What if my distant lineage had split in a different direction? Today, I could be anything from a sea sponge to an elephant, but I ended up as a human. Additionally, it is amazing to think about the number of people who had to come together to produce me. I am the product of some 200,000 years of chance encounters. My family lineage is my only link to the past, so by learning more about my genetic history, I learn more about my forebears. It's kind of like time travel.

That is a good way to look at it. I suppose it's just one of those things that never caught my fancy. That's what makes us individuals. Everybody's got different stuff they find interesting. Good thing -- if we all liked exactly the same thing - we'd probably have some horrendous shortages of the stuff we want......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post