DNA testing for ancestry?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: DNA testing for ancestry?
(02-02-2015 01:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 11:14 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Not in my case.

Paternal grandparents arrived in the Americas only two generations ago, maternal side three. Both lineages are traceable to Spain. Thumbsup

A) Sure, but those are crude averages for Latin American populations as a whole, which outside the southern cone has seen relatively small latter day immigrant groups subsumed into the general population. In any case, small percentages like that are both subject to error in detection and are explicable by almost any circumstance imaginable. Although I'd guess there are some locals, for lack of a better term, in your past, besides the peninsulares you know about; 3 generations gives you at least a dozen people to account for, right?

B) That still doesn't make Berbers sub-Saharan. Tongue

Glad you brought up Berbers. Maternal grandmother from the Canary Islands and white as a ghost to boot.

"Although the history of the settlement of the Canary Islands is still unclear, linguistic and genetic analyses seem to indicate that at least some of these inhabitants shared a common origin with the Berbers of northern Africa.The pre-colonial inhabitants came to be known collectively as the Guanches, although Guanches was originally the name for the indigenous inhabitants of Tenerife.”

I’ve been able to trace both linneages to at least 6 generations and home towns in Spain. The Spanish are fanatical about record keeping.

As for the sub-Saharan I figured movement between tribes. In the end I’ll never know.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply