DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 07:23 PM
DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website
Hey, this is fun! Gasp

"DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.
“That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution’s First Amendment,” DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. “That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone’s mind.”

From DreamHost:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/we-fight-for-the-users/

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
14-08-2017, 07:29 PM
RE: DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website
(14-08-2017 07:23 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Hey, this is fun! Gasp

"DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.
“That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution’s First Amendment,” DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. “That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone’s mind.”

From DreamHost:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/we-fight-for-the-users/

Chilling!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-08-2017, 07:32 PM
RE: DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website
Also what's to stop them from doing it again to other sites?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Maybe they should spend some time, money, and effort on the neo-Nazi and white supremacist sites. If they want to look for potential terrorists they can keep plenty busy looking right here in the US.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Subpoenas for large numbers of addresses are often fishing expeditions. I see subpoenas for this sort of information from time to time. And 99% of the time the request is very specific--date/time/etc. Presumably the police have had the time to investigate the computing devices of some of the 200 people they are investigating for felony rioting.

I've only once seen a subpoena for a wide net like this, and it was in a civil copyrights suit. Apparently in civil suits, attorneys can write their own subpoenas that carry the full legal authority of being issued by a judge...until it gets quashed like the one was. But for the Dreamhost situation, is looks like a judge issued the subpoena in a criminal case. I would be curious what justified the scope of this subpoena to a judge.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
14-08-2017, 09:22 PM
(14-08-2017 09:07 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Subpoenas for large numbers of addresses are often fishing expeditions. I see subpoenas for this sort of information from time to time. And 99% of the time the request is very specific--date/time/etc. Presumably the police have had the time to investigate the computing devices of some of the 200 people they are investigating for felony rioting.

I've only once seen a subpoena for a wide net like this, and it was in a civil copyrights suit. Apparently in civil suits, attorneys can write their own subpoenas that carry the full legal authority of being issued by a judge...until it gets quashed like the one was. But for the Dreamhost situation, is looks like a judge issued the subpoena in a criminal case. I would be curious what justified the scope of this subpoena to a judge.

My guess is $$$$$ under the table.
14-08-2017, 09:55 PM
(14-08-2017 09:22 PM)Jedi Rainbow Dash Wrote:  My guess is $$$$$ under the table.[/b]

Could be. But as the saying goes, never attribute to malice what which is adequately explained by stupidity. It could be that the judge did not understand the scope of the information request.
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
15-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Love to hear our resident Trump lover defend this one.
15-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Yup.

The "smaller government, more personal freedoms" crew strikes again.

Dodgy

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
15-08-2017, 10:09 AM
(14-08-2017 07:23 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  "DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government...

What about people using VPN's?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.