DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 03:44 AM
RE: DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website
(15-08-2017 11:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  How can a country that limits speech even be considered a democracy?

[Image: tenor.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: DOJ wants the IP addresses of 1.3 million visitors to a Trump protest website
I read that website a lot as well as crimthinc and listen to the exworker's podcast. It's not that they're likely to find me in that mass of data it's that someone who searches for me could find I'm on such a such a list. That could be anyone who knows me, my current employer, potential employers, someone who doesn't like me for whatever reason. By getting your internet footprint out there the government doesn't even need to investigate you. They can simply drop your name in an undesirable list and have you stigmatized.
16-08-2017, 03:51 AM
(16-08-2017 03:47 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I read that website a lot as well as crimthinc and listen to the exworker's podcast. It's not that they're likely to find me in that mass of data it's that someone who searches for me could find I'm on such a such a list. That could be anyone who knows me, my current employer, potential employers, someone who doesn't like me for whatever reason. By getting your internet footprint out there the government doesn't even need to investigate you. They can simply drop your name in an undesirable list and have you stigmatized.

[Image: drone-attack-o.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-08-2017, 08:44 AM
(15-08-2017 11:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 12:48 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Almost all countries who have hate speech laws have a higher index of democracy than the US. Interesting that when you neuter the ability of people who are opposed to democracy, women's and gay rights, racial equality or religious freedom, all those things do better. Seriously, fear of hate speech law is extremely unwarranted within liberal democracies. They are not the blunt instrument of the executive branch. If possible, they have done a lot to protect the free speech of minorities which is the one that is actively threatened over there. We need to remember than less than a century ago almost all liberal democracies had white supremacist and phallocratic policies.

How can a country that limits speech even be considered a democracy?

Ask your lord and savior.
16-08-2017, 10:22 AM
(15-08-2017 08:10 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 10:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  What about people using VPN's?

That just moves the end point of the viewer to the provider of the VPN...still provides a trail of breadcrumbs back to you.

True. But the US DoJ would have no jurisdiction in the dozen other countries that could be hosting a particular VPN. The legal barriers involved with obtaining and tracing IPs from them would be insurmountable.

And I'd be betting that you, personally, would have zero hope of determining where I live—even within a couple of hundred kilometres radius. And there's no way on [insert deity of choice]'s earth that you'd ever, ever find my actual home address. You're welcome to give it a try though. Yes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-08-2017, 08:32 PM
(16-08-2017 10:22 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 08:10 PM)BryanS Wrote:  That just moves the end point of the viewer to the provider of the VPN...still provides a trail of breadcrumbs back to you.

True. But the US DoJ would have no jurisdiction in the dozen other countries that could be hosting a particular VPN. The legal barriers involved with obtaining and tracing IPs from them would be insurmountable.

And I'd be betting that you, personally, would have zero hope of determining where I live—even within a couple of hundred kilometres radius. And there's no way on [insert deity of choice]'s earth that you'd ever, ever find my actual home address. You're welcome to give it a try though. Yes

Oh, there's always a way Smile Correct, using VPNs in other jurisdictions might make it harder to track you unless those systems are vulnerable to direct attack, but it's not impossible for a state entity with the resources to make the effort. Keep in mind spy agencies hold onto unknown exploits in software for just this purpose.