PARTY!!!!

What's DOMA?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: DOMA is DOA
(26-06-2013 10:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  YAY!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!
PARTY!!!!

What's DOMA?

The Defense of Marriage Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
26-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I see.
Fair enough, now's a good time to repeal this DOMA considering the change in political environment (gay marriage becoming legal in more and more states).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
26-06-2013, 10:28 PM
(26-06-2013 10:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I see.
Fair enough, now's a good time to repeal this DOMA considering the change in political environment (gay marriage becoming legal in more and more states).

Unfortunately the right wing will mount a counter offense to the decision. It's still gonna be a long fight until they get dragged kicking and clawing into this century.

But it's a very good sign of things to come. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-06-2013, 05:11 AM
My understanding is that scotus did not declare doma unconstitutional, but instead ruled that the people bringing the case to try and enforce doma had no standing. If the federal government had defended doma the ruling would necessarily have been different. Am I misunderstanding?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
27-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Re: DOMA is DOA
That was somewhat the decision for prop 8. DOMA was hands-down unconstitutional.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-06-2013, 06:28 AM
DOMA ruling in effect says that in states where same sex marriage is recognized, federal law will treat same sex and opposite sex marriages equally.

Prop 8 didnt have standing for appeal. Lower court ruling will be in effect. Same sex marriage is back on in CA as soon as the lower court judge gets the paperwork done.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post