DOOM (2016)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 08:03 AM
DOOM (2016)
Well, here's hoping this doesn't suck.

Okay, that looks cool. Still kinda worried they didn't supply pre-release copies for review. Still, it's been out for a day now...

Alight, I do dig Jim's passion and out tastes tend to align quite often; plus the game still looks good in action. But he's playing on console. How is the game on PC out in the wild?

Damn, that is a strong opening.

Well, fuck. You got TB to pull a complete 180 after his experience from the multiplayer beta? Fuckin' sold.

Here's hoping I don't get any weird bugs with my setup. I've so far seen nothing but people saying it run beautifully on GTX 970's.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-05-2016, 08:16 AM
RE: DOOM (2016)
God damn, that first gameplay video got me hyped. The graphics, sound design and shoot mechanics are all top notch.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-05-2016, 08:30 AM
hope it has a long and awesome campaign. i give two shits about multiplayer
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
14-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Well, much like the beautifully optimized Metal Gear Solid V before it, this game runs superbly on just a single GTX 970. I have all of the settings set to Ultra and the FOV up to 110 at 1080p, and the game has yet to dip below 60FPS.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-05-2016, 07:46 PM
I haven't checked to be sure, but on that top video of the OP, at 3:32, that voice you hear belongs to Lance Henriksen.

If the gameplay hadn't already sold itself to me, that would've sold the game!

Check, and mate, Doom. You win. Thumbsup

18-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Well I guess this is on my radar now, I haven't actually played any games in the series, tragically.

28-05-2016, 12:37 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 11:32 PM by EvolutionKills.)
I've beaten it twice now (Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence), and looking to do it a third time (Nightmare). Haven't really touched the multi-player, but that's what Overwatch is for anyways.

[Image: k6mqhKg.png]

Still, walking into Hell like you own the place, taking on 20-1 odds for 5+ minutes at a time, and still being the last man standing when it's all said and done? That feels fucking amazing. The campaign is so good, it makes me retroactively hate other FPS campaigns I've played in the last few years. It's easily one of the best shooters of the last decade. If it wasn't for it's sub-par 'me too' HALO-esque multiplayer that feels like it made the opposite choice of every important decision taken in the campaign, I'd say it was number one with a fucking bullet.

Also, this game makes me want three things. One, a sequel that wraps up the game's cliff hanger ending. Two, that sequel better have a multiplayer component that feels more like the classic rocket ballets of Quake. And three, I want a reboot of Quake. Not the Quake II, 4, or Wars versions with the Stogg space zombies. I mean Quake 1, with the schizophrenic art ascetic that had you using a nailgun and rocket launcher to fight Lovecraftian eldritch horrors and knights against a medieval backdrop in space. Quake 1 was kinda all over the fucking place.

28-05-2016, 05:34 AM
the double barrel shotgun is a fuckin beast. i rarely used any other gun unless i ran out of ammo. the combat shotgun and assault rifle seemed rather redundant once you got the double barrel and minigun.
28-05-2016, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 03:09 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(28-05-2016 05:34 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  the double barrel shotgun is a fuckin beast. i rarely used any other gun unless i ran out of ammo. the combat shotgun and assault rifle seemed rather redundant once you got the double barrel and minigun.

Until the final upgrade is unlocked for the Super Shotgun (after the Weapon Mastery challenge is complete), each pull of the trigger takes 2 shells. Once it's finally fully upgraded, each pull is 1 shell and you reload after 2 shots (but still do the same damage with each trigger pull).

Explosive Shot mod for the Combat Shotgun is my jam. Each grenade is a single shell, and when fully upgraded, a direct hit causes it to spawn cluster bombs on impact.

Micro Missiles for the Heavy Assault Rifle allows you to get homing explosives without using rocket ammo. Conversely the Tactical Scope mod allows you to get heavy damage per bullet at long range, great for whittling down far off Cacodemons.

But arguably, the Gauss Cannon is probably my favorite go-to weapon in a pinch. Both upgrades for it are awesome and fun to use. Precision Bolt is great for sniping, and once it's fully modded, you can keep up your movement speed as well. This allows it to be devastating to Hell Knights and the Barons of Hell, especially with a well placed headshot. Then the Siege Mode packs an even larger bang for your buck, but forces you to stand still, which typically works out fairly well against Cacaodemons and the lumbering Mancubus, especially after you've gotten the reduced charge time. Of course, once's it's fully upgraded, you can move around in siege mode anyways.

29-05-2016, 04:48 AM
I'll probably get it to play....

In about 12 years or so....

I still haven't gotten a Xbox 360 so I can play Halo 3..........

Soon...

When the price goes down...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.