DOS Attack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 11:44 PM
RE: DOS Attack
(21-03-2014 10:03 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm ok with you guys complaining and bitching cause downtime is frustrating and it's cathartic to have an outlet to vent.

I can't really blame cloudflare for everything because the issues we are having aren't all caused by that. It's a bit more complicated.

When the cloudflare security setting is lowered it removes the browser check which then allows tapatalk users to access the site again. It also allows through more of the unwanted traffic which causes server load to go through the roof.

Put it back to under attack mode and server load drops again but there is glitchyness.

Try to remember when the ddos started - the site was completely down for a while.

When I first started the server on the new host I installed Munin to monitor what is happening on the server. Here are some graphs which show the ddos attacks over the last week.

[Image: cpu-week.png]
[Image: fw_packets-week.png]
[Image: if_eth0-week.png]

The error some of you mentioned is caused by this server becoming non-responsive due to ddos.
Deepthought, fix it, or go back to telling those fourth dimensional rats about how you can't compute the question to the answer of life, the universe, and everything.

Nah, just kidding. Take your time.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-03-2014, 12:04 AM
hey,cant we use another ddos protection service?
the last few days,was it ddos or cloudflare?
do you know we have to click the "new post" utton to post?
the textbox thingy is gone.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
22-03-2014, 12:33 AM
(22-03-2014 12:04 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  hey,cant we use another ddos protection service?
the last few days,was it ddos or cloudflare?
do you know we have to click the "new post" utton to post?
the textbox thingy is gone.

Because of spam
They removed the quickbox because of spam.
I'm pretty sure heywood is ddosser.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-03-2014, 12:40 AM
(11-03-2014 04:05 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 05:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  If Dora the Explorer has taught me anything, besides Spanish (Min spanska ar bra, ingen stor sak oavsett), it's that when someone is trying to ruin your fun you need only to tell them to stop doing it three times and they will.

162.23.3.78 no DOS attacking

Problem solved.
Your welcome TTA.

it worked!!!
162.23.3.78 can't atack TTA,because 162.23.3.78 IS TTA's IP

Which, for some reason, is in Switzerland....

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
22-03-2014, 12:42 AM
It's not Heywood. He doesn't have the resources nor is he smart enough for a DDOS attack of that scale.

Migrate the UK servers to the US domain. There's a a history of successful DDOS attacks in the UK, your lease is up, and while the US gddy servers aren't much better. They're less likely to be attacked, and slightly more robust.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
22-03-2014, 01:34 AM
maybe someone with monies and a grudge is using an online stress tester?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
22-03-2014, 01:39 AM
No, it's simply easier to DDOS attack the UK servers.

Become real 'Mericahns.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
22-03-2014, 03:21 AM
(22-03-2014 01:39 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  No, it's simply easier to DDOS attack the UK servers.

I've never heard that before? Why is that?
22-03-2014, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 05:47 AM by DLJ.)
(21-03-2014 10:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Idiot's.... I mean layman's terms? Angel

OK, try this...

Imagine you're in a very busy restaurant.
The waiter says you'll have to wait to be seated or come back later.

Translation of Deep's strange language:

Complaint = request for better service

Downtime = interruption to agreed service availability i.e. ...
planned interruption = "sorry the restaurant is temporarily closed while the kitchen is being improved. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
unplanned interruption = "Shit! What just happened?".

"frustrating ... cathartic":
Research shows that 83% of callers to service desks feel satisfied with the service they received because they were treated with empathy and respect whereas only 17% expressed satisfaction due to their 'problem' being resolved.
Deep is attempting empathy. Dodgy

blame = transference of risk
cloudflare = From Wikipedia: "CloudFlare is a ... blah... blah... service marketed as improving website performance and speed and providing security."

Capacity (performance and speed) and security are two of four design factors relating to something called warranty.

A service must deliver value or why would we use it?
Value consists of:
1. Utility (making it fit for purpose).
A restaurant that does not serve food is not fit for purpose.
2. Warranty (fit for use).
The 4 warranty factors are:
Availability (including uptime / downtime and reliability of the service)
Capacity (including performance, utilisation and response times)
Security (including confidentiality, integrity and availability of data (or CIA for short ... Laughat in-joke there))
Continuity (including back-up, disaster recovery etc.)

everything = all service components and supporting services

issues = incidents and problems
Incident = unplanned interruption to a service (restaurant is closed when it should be open) or the reduction in the quality of the service (sloppy waiter service; rude staff; you get served by the waiter with BO rather than the hot brunette who smells vaguely of apples and lavender and has hair so soft that you just want to run your fing... ehem... sorry).
Problem = unknown cause of one or more incidents.

When the cloudflare security setting is lowered it removes the browser check which then allows tapatalk users to access the site again.
The restaurant has become very popular so now employs a bouncer at the door. When the bouncer goes off for a smoke break, your wacky and fun-loving but often embarrassing uncle now gets in ...

It also allows through more of the unwanted traffic
... but so do all your uncle's mates who usually trash the place and leave without paying.

which causes server load to go through the roof.
... which really stresses out that cute brunette waitress and makes her cry. Bastards!

Put it back to under attack mode and server load drops again but there is glitchyness.
... the bouncer comes back after his fag (cigarette) and kicks out the rowdy bastards but one of them has already broken one of the urinals in the men's washroom and the front window is smashed.

Try to remember when the ddos started - the site was completely down for a while.
ddos = A Distributed Denial of Service Attack (DDoS) = too many customers trying to get through the door at the same time. Someone's gonna get hurt (not the cute waitress, I hope).
Do you remember last week when the police turned up and shut the whole place down for a while and then health and safety had to do an inspection before we could re-open?

When I first started the server on the new host
When we first to moved to the new location with a bigger and better kitchen, a second chef, a bigger car-park and more tables and more staff...
I installed Munin to monitor what is happening on the server.
We installed CCTV cameras (but not in the restrooms obviously).

Here are some graphs which show the ddos attacks over the last week.
We had some very busy periods and not just at lunchtime and dinnertime.

The error some of you mentioned is caused by this server becoming non-responsive due to ddos.
Look, everyone was just shouting at once and we missed some of your orders. Sorry. My best waitress is crying again. You should apologise!

Deep,
Speaking for all the regular customers, I want to say that we love the food and the service (especially if we get the cute one) and the opening hours and everything else so ... no complaints.
The fact that it's all free just adds to the value of the whole experience.

And we will continue to complete our satisfaction surveys and report incidents when they occur because... well... that's best practice, too.

evenheathen,
Satisfaction surveys are required to help managers find ways of improving service utility (functionality) and warranty (service levels).
Incidents provide raw data that help explain the underlying problems so the more we report, the clearer the picture.

This idiot's layman's guide to Service Management was brought to you by DLJ InConsulting Services and ITIL (IT Sevice Management best practices).

I get paid for this shit. That's why I do it.

Why Deep does it... is beyond my comprehension.

Thanks again Deep.

Heart

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Thank you Deep Thought for all you do. Thumbsup

If any of my posts sounded like a complaint (tho, I doubt it), that was not my intention.

I merely wanted to report what was happening on my end, in hopes of it being helpful. Blush

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post