DUNE question. Am I understanding Paul correctly?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2013, 01:43 AM
RE: DUNE question. Am I understanding Paul correctly?
(07-08-2013 12:21 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ooo, I'm just starting these books on account of the fear concept, my sister reco'ed.

Quote:I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

That actually helped me through puberty.

(07-08-2013 12:43 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 12:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You need to read all the prequels now to fully get the story.

Nah. I'm drawing a line with this last one. If it's not written by the author, i'm out. Anything else just seems like fanfiction for me.
It was actually based on the writings and notes of Frank Herbert. But he wasn't able to finish them due to his untimely death.
And it´s not just some fan. It´s his son and one of the premier science fiction writers of the last 3 decades.

They are very good, I prefer the first written trilogy (House Atreides) over the Butlerian Jihad trilogy.
They´re also written in a far better technical style. So they are easier to get through than Frank Herbert´s old poetic writing style.

To the opening question: Paul used the Fremen to take revenge on the Harkonnen and the Corrino's.
But the rest of the empire didn't take it too lightly, they retaliated. Paul needed to defend himself. That is what the 2nd book is all about. Paul´s precognition was never full and never that extensive and it didn´t blossom until his blindness.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
07-08-2013, 02:23 AM
(07-08-2013 12:43 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 12:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You need to read all the prequels now to fully get the story.

Nah. I'm drawing a line with this last one. If it's not written by the author, i'm out. Anything else just seems like fanfiction for me.

Quote:Ooo, I'm just starting these books on account of the fear concept, my sister reco'ed.

I'd recommend it. So far Dune and God Emperor were my top favourites. There's not much about "fear" other than that mantra. It's just essentially a small reminder to keep calm and think logically.

well the last 2 books are based off Frank's notes and an outline they found in a safe deposit box. The prequels are more the ideas the Son had gone over with his father. Now if you stop with Chapterhouse Dune then you will be left with a cliff hanger as that was never intended to be the final book.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I've stopped reading Chapterhouse. It looks to be another anti climatic read. Filler. I enjoyed the Dune Universe, but it's not something I'd like to learn the greater intricacies of. It didn't hold my attention. But I hold far from a strong opinion of it to turn that into a slight against the book. I'll just take what I like and push aside what I didn't.
09-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Paul's prescience is described as a vast branching web of possibility. Paul says that he could have chosen to become the one with the worm as Leto II did, but instead Paul chose a path in which his son Leto would become the God Emperor...knowing that Leto would continue to map out the golden path.

As for why Paul as the Kwisatz Haderach didn't choose a 'more peaceful path' I can only assume that one was not available to him, and that he choose the most peaceful path that could/would accomplish his goals. Remember that Leto and his fish speakers abolished all war and presided over a golden age for millennia. One assumes that the first step on the golden path had to begin with using the house atomics on the barrier wall and annihilating the Harkonnen and the emperors Sardaukar.

Lastly the golden path was described as being agonizingly droll for both Paul and Leto. They knew everything that would ever happen to them, everything that they would ever do. Leto lived for thousands of years knowing full well that one day he would loose himself to worms, Paul spent the remainder of his life a poor nomad, etc.

Ps. I'm a little over halfway through Heretics at this point.
Pps. Which one of his sons books covers the Butlerian Jihad?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
(09-08-2013 08:13 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
Paul's prescience is described as a vast branching web of possibility. Paul says that he could have chosen to become the one with the worm as Leto II did, but instead Paul chose a path in which his son Leto would become the God Emperor...knowing that Leto would continue to map out the golden path.

As for why Paul as the Kwisatz Haderach didn't choose a 'more peaceful path' I can only assume that one was not available to him, and that he choose the most peaceful path that could/would accomplish his goals. Remember that Leto and his fish speakers abolished all war and presided over a golden age for millennia. One assumes that the first step on the golden path had to begin with using the house atomics on the barrier wall and annihilating the Harkonnen and the emperors Sardaukar.

Lastly the golden path was described as being agonizingly droll for both Paul and Leto. They knew everything that would ever happen to them, everything that they would ever do. Leto lived for thousands of years knowing full well that one day he would loose himself to worms, Paul spent the remainder of his life a poor nomad, etc.

Ps. I'm a little over halfway through Heretics at this point.
Pps. Which one of his sons books covers the Butlerian Jihad?

3 of them The Butlerian Jihad, the Machine Crusades, and the Battle of Corrin

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]