Dad's Heart

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 06:21 AM
RE: Dad's Heart
Excellent info. Much obliged Smile

As for the hypertension, I love to work out regularly (I'm a personal trainer), my diet reflects that in pretty much every aspect (save for the occasional beer-induced coma) and I'm rarely stressed. Part of personal fitness is knowing how to manage your cortisol levels, so I do pretty well with that. I'm just a generally relaxed person anyway. The blood pressure is just another genetic gift from dad. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 09:27 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Dad's Heart
(14-12-2012 11:14 AM)Near Wrote:  Is this something that is treatable/manageable?
It's a "nothing" these days. My pop's group does it all day everyday. First of all they do a mapping of the electrical activity, ( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...003867.htm ), then they do the "zapping" (ablation) procedure. The ablation creates a tiny bit of scar tissue, which interrupts the aberrant electrical pathway. ( http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/treat...s-ablation ). They can be done together, in one setting, and you go home the same day. Then there are no meds needed. Sometimes a pacer is inserted, usually not. Atrial fib used to be a lifelong curse. Now it's easily treated. It's done in the Heart Cath lab, in almost all the major hospitals in the country. It's routine as hell. People with Atrial fib usually are told to take aspirin or given one of the other anti-coagulants so the business of stroking from the clots formed by Atrial Fib doesn't happen, as long as the fib is controlled, and/or the anti-coagulants are taken. My mom had Rheumatic Fever as a child, and as a result had Atrial Fib, (and a damaged either Aortic or Mitral valve, I can't remember which one). She now has an artificial valve, an ablation, and a pacer, and she's a healthy as a horse. 50 or 75 years ago, she'd be dead. Cardiology has advanced light years in the last few years. Electrophysiology is a sub-specialty in Cardiology these days. The peeps who do this all day are amazingly skilled.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information Even more 'heart' trouble! UndercoverAtheist 6 236 28-12-2013 04:27 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
Exclamation 100 bpm resting heart rate? UndercoverAtheist 17 1,293 17-07-2013 06:32 AM
Last Post: Filox