Dads...(sighs)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Dads...(sighs)
So I was recently having a discussion with my father and he pretty much told me that atheists are basically budding criminals who will think nothing of stealing, etc and won't teach their kids any morals.

Being female I sarcastically said something like "Geez, I guess I better not having any kids then" to which my dad said "Yup".

So as I leave for work he says his usual good bye and have a good day to which I snidely said "Gee..I don't know dad. Being an atheist and all...".

I know my father can be very gullible and easily manipulated but I would love to know just who has been filling his mind with such trash.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2015, 03:59 PM
RE: Dads...(sighs)
If I was going to reverse engineer the recipe, I'd start off with a splash of Phil Robertson, a pinch of Bill O'Reilly, 1/4tsp of Sean Hannity, 1/2 cup of John Hagee, and about 3oz of Pat Robertson. Preheat the oven at 425° and let bake for 35-45 mins. Let it cool down during the Megyn Kelly show and enjoy!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
21-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Maybe it's just a prejudice that he learned growing up and was never challenged on it?

My dad is the same way, but lately he's gone down the rabbit hole of crazy, to the point of legitimately believing Michelle Obama is a man in drag (I know, I know...) and nearly every other conspiracy you can imagine.

It sounds like your very casual with your nonbelief around him, so I'd say give it time and maybe his interactions with you will put those misconceptions to rest Smile

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
21-05-2015, 05:07 PM
This certainly adds a new twist to ... "Hey dad. What would you like me to get for you for Christmas?"

You can have some fun with that.

Dad: "Wow! Where did you find this?" I hope you didn't spend too much."
D-W: "Don't worry, dad, atheists have their ways."

Evil_monster

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-05-2015, 06:12 PM
(21-05-2015 03:59 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Preheat the oven at 425° and let bake for 35-45 mins.
Not hot enough. Crank that bitch up and leave it in until your smoke detector goes off. Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-05-2015, 06:32 PM
You could tell him that there are far fewer atheists in prison than theists (this takes into account the percentage of each group) and that industrialized countries with a high rate of atheism have lower crime rates, teen pregnancy and give more to international charities.

You could tell him that, but he probably wouldn't listen.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-05-2015, 09:48 PM
(21-05-2015 06:12 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 03:59 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Preheat the oven at 425° and let bake for 35-45 mins.
Not hot enough. Crank that bitch up and leave it in until your smoke detector goes off. Thumbsup

Which bitch? The oven or Megyn Kelly?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-05-2015, 01:14 AM
I don't think that you could do much to shake your father prejudice. It isn't something rational so reason won't work. Best you could get is I think him admitting that you're good even if atheist but prejudice against others won't go away.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2015, 04:10 AM
(21-05-2015 06:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You could tell him that there are far fewer atheists in prison than theists (this takes into account the percentage of each group) and that industrialized countries with a high rate of atheism have lower crime rates, teen pregnancy and give more to international charities.

You could tell him that, but he probably wouldn't listen.

I think D-W should tell him such facts repeatedly and ask for his reaction. If he's only getting his information from one source, he's just going to become even more set in his ways.