Dafuq is this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 07:28 AM by tomilay.)
RE: Dafuq is this?
(22-09-2016 10:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 06:11 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Great point starts at 7:15

He does bring up some good points in this video. Some interesting statistics. What he doesn't do is to go in depth about why these statistics are what they are. He makes a point that "niggas are savages", but just leaves it there.

Are you trying to tell me that black people (wait...excuse me, I mean niggas) are just inherently bad, or savage for some reason? And that "black people" don't suffer from the same affliction as "niggas"?

You're telling me that there are no other reasons that the African American community might be suffering these statistics other than the fact that some blacks are people...and some are niggas.

That's some racist shit right there. I don't care who says it.

The reality is a lot of blacks go through life trying to prove they are not one of those others. Tommy Sotomayor just puts it on tape. It's a plea for acceptance by mainstream society - which ironically proves the point. He seems to be doing quite well with the alt-right crowd - maybe they will accept him as one of their own.

He doesn't deserve a more thoughtful response because he is mostly fact free or plays fast and loose with the facts he brings up.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2016, 07:34 AM
(22-09-2016 11:52 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Those with the power write them off as thugs, which limits their access to legitimate success, which makes 'thuggery' a more lucrative means to some modicum of success, which further fuels the fire. The perception of the stereotype creates more examples to fuel said stereotype, it is a negative feedback loop.

That's actually a positive feedback loop, it reinforces.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2016, 07:48 AM
(23-09-2016 07:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  He does bring up some good points in this video. Some interesting statistics. What he doesn't do is to go in depth about why these statistics are what they are. He makes a point that "niggas are savages", but just leaves it there.

Are you trying to tell me that black people (wait...excuse me, I mean niggas) are just inherently bad, or savage for some reason? And that "black people" don't suffer from the same affliction as "niggas"?

You're telling me that there are no other reasons that the African American community might be suffering these statistics other than the fact that some blacks are people...and some are niggas.

That's some racist shit right there. I don't care who says it.

The reality is a lot of blacks go through life trying to prove they are not one of those others. Tommy Sotomayor just puts it on tape. It's a plea for acceptance by mainstream society - which ironically proves the point. He seems to be doing quite well with the alt-right crowd - maybe they will accept him as one of their own.

He doesn't deserve a more thoughtful response because he is mostly fact free or plays fast and loose with the facts he brings up.

I did some business once with a guy who said he was an ex-gangster from Compton. We ran into each other quite often in the course of a few years and shared a lot of meals and conversation. He was a young father in his late 20s, happily married. He didn't strike me "gangsterly" at all and I did ask him about it. He said that for him, and he thought most of his friends, it was pretty much all about respect. Being respected by his peers, doing something someone would respect him for. He said he did a lot of really stupid shit and was lucky to be alive. He said it was a heck of a lot easier to get respect on merit than to get it for acting out. But the kids don't see that, they get recognition as well as money for being in the gang and pulling their weight.

I can remember wanting respect as a teen, and not getting much of it if any. Now I see I had not earned it yet, but as teen - you don't think straight a lot of the time. I could see how one can get drawn into stupid shit. I did my share of idiotic stuff then, and it's not hard to imagine getting swept up with a gang as teen...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-09-2016, 08:19 AM
(23-09-2016 07:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 07:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  The reality is a lot of blacks go through life trying to prove they are not one of those others. Tommy Sotomayor just puts it on tape. It's a plea for acceptance by mainstream society - which ironically proves the point. He seems to be doing quite well with the alt-right crowd - maybe they will accept him as one of their own.

I did some business once with a guy who said he was an ex-gangster from Compton. We ran into each other quite often in the course of a few years and shared a lot of meals and conversation. He was a young father in his late 20s, happily married. He didn't strike me "gangsterly" at all and I did ask him about it. He said that for him, and he thought most of his friends, it was pretty much all about respect. Being respected by his peers, doing something someone would respect him for. He said he did a lot of really stupid shit and was lucky to be alive. He said it was a heck of a lot easier to get respect on merit than to get it for acting out. But the kids don't see that, they get recognition as well as money for being in the gang and pulling their weight.

I can remember wanting respect as a teen, and not getting much of it if any. Now I see I had not earned it yet, but as teen - you don't think straight a lot of the time. I could see how one can get drawn into stupid shit. I did my share of idiotic stuff then, and it's not hard to imagine getting swept up with a gang as teen...

I hear ya. I'm 31, so it wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager. It often seemed to me that the adults in my life wanted to demand my respect rather than earn it themselves (or explain how they have in fact earned it). Well, monkey sea-monkey do.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-09-2016, 08:39 AM
(23-09-2016 07:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 07:24 AM)tomilay Wrote:  The reality is a lot of blacks go through life trying to prove they are not one of those others. Tommy Sotomayor just puts it on tape. It's a plea for acceptance by mainstream society - which ironically proves the point. He seems to be doing quite well with the alt-right crowd - maybe they will accept him as one of their own.

Peer pressure might be part of it. Teens anywhere are a handful. It's worse in an environment where most households have a single parent, often a mother, who has barely the time, education or means to instill certain values...

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
24-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but from a distance I don't understand why blacks(?) are rioting in Charlotte.

The police chief, Kerr Putney, is black; the victim, Keith Scott was black; the officer who shot and killed him, Brentley Vinson, is also black.

So why the so-called "peaceful protest" by hundreds of blacks? Which included, over a three-day period:

Stealing and looting cash registers from local businesses,
Physically attacking reporters,

Throwing rocks off bridges at passing vehicles full of families,
Beating up innocent people in parking lots because they’re white,

Smashing up apartment windows where black people live to "protest" in favour of BLM,
Trashing their own neighborhood,

Emptying (literally) the Charlotte Hornets team store so they could steal basketball merchandise,
Attempting to hijack private motor vehicles and setting fire to police cars etc.

—And this is an interesting graphic...

[Image: 20160922_charlotte1_0.jpg]

Any clarification of these couple of points appreciated by a dumb Aussie!

[Image: niggerboy.jpg?zoom=2]

This was the Australian perception of African-Americans until the mid-1960s. Zoom in and check the dialogue between "Sambo" and "Rastus"—which names we inevitably saw as typical negro names for some unknown reason.

Sadcryface

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-09-2016, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2016 10:26 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(24-09-2016 01:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  —And this is an interesting graphic...

[Image: 20160922_charlotte1_0.jpg]

That's pointless. They're angry about the perceived overreach and missteps of the authorities. Shit like cops rolling up to a little black boy with a toy gun in a park and shooting him in seconds; which would go mostly unnoticed in the news, but would probably be a national tragedy if it was a little white girl. It's anger over the perception, correct or not, that citizens are not treated equally before the law or by those sworn to uphold the law.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-09-2016, 10:10 AM
(24-09-2016 10:01 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [...] Shit like cops rolling up to a little black boy with a toy gun in a park and shooting him in seconds; which would go mostly unnoticed in the news, but would probably be a national tragedy if it was a little white girl. It's anger over the perception, correct or not, that citizens are not treated equally before the law or by those sworn to uphold the law.

Your assertion about a "toy" gun is intentionally misleading. At no time were the police aware, or could be expected to be aware that the gun was only [sic] a replica—and an accurate one at that. The "little boy" who was actually a 14-year-old teenager had removed the air-soft orange marking from the barrel. This alone could indicate criminal intent—why did he even own the replica?

[Image: s-l225.jpg]

At any rate, the police did not shoot him "in seconds", as the police dash-cam video and audio proves.

And the graphic is not "pointless". It represents an official set of statistics that clearly indicates that the per capita murder rate of blacks by whites is 12 times less than whites being killed by blacks.

You also concede that the perception of blacks not being treated by LEOs or the law may be incorrect. This is confirmed by my graphic.

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
25-09-2016, 11:35 AM
(25-09-2016 10:10 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 10:01 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [...] Shit like cops rolling up to a little black boy with a toy gun in a park and shooting him in seconds; which would go mostly unnoticed in the news, but would probably be a national tragedy if it was a little white girl. It's anger over the perception, correct or not, that citizens are not treated equally before the law or by those sworn to uphold the law.

Your assertion about a "toy" gun is intentionally misleading. At no time were the police aware, or could be expected to be aware that the gun was only [sic] a replica—and an accurate one at that. The "little boy" who was actually a 14-year-old teenager had removed the air-soft orange marking from the barrel. This alone could indicate criminal intent—why did he even own the replica?

[Image: s-l225.jpg]

At any rate, the police did not shoot him "in seconds", as the police dash-cam video and audio proves.

And the graphic is not "pointless". It represents an official set of statistics that clearly indicates that the per capita murder rate of blacks by whites is 12 times less than whites being killed by blacks.

You also concede that the perception of blacks not being treated by LEOs or the law may be incorrect. This is confirmed by my graphic.

Tamir Rice was 12. Not 14. The cops might have, and in all likelihood, still perceived him as older.

The study below sheds light on this phenomenon.

Quote:WASHINGTON — Black boys as young as 10 may not be viewed in the same light of childhood innocence as their white peers, but are instead more likely to be mistaken as older, be perceived as guilty and face police violence if accused of a crime, according to new research published by the American Psychological Association.

“Children in most societies are considered to be in a distinct group with characteristics such as innocence and the need for protection. Our research found that black boys can be seen as responsible for their actions at an age when white boys still benefit from the assumption that children are essentially innocent,” said author Phillip Atiba Goff, PhD, of the University of California, Los Angeles. The study was published online in APA’s Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2...older.aspx

[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
26-09-2016, 04:27 AM
(25-09-2016 11:35 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Tamir Rice was 12. Not 14. The cops might have, and in all likelihood, still perceived him as older. [...]

Just to clarify my comment: I was actually referring to an earlier thread discussing the shooting by a Battle Creek police officer of 14-year-old Nicholas King at 240 Sth Washington Street in November, 2013. (I should have made it more clear.)

King was shot after police responded to a call of man carrying a black pistol who was running through bushes near a store. At the time, police said the officer found the young man crouched down near the store. They said the officer "advised the suspect to show his hands, and the suspect produced what appeared to be a large-caliber handgun from his clothing area."

—And I'm absolutely certain that the police didn't have the time—or the inclination—to demand he show his proof of age. Tongue