Daiya mac and cheese

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Daiya mac and cheese
This macaroni and cheese caught my eye today. I cannot eat dairy at all, and with the exception of the occasional pint of Tofuti ice cream, I avoid dairy substitute foods. Dairy is just not a part of my diet and I don't crave it.

I vaguely recall the taste of macaroni and cheese from when I was little. I remember loving it and practically flipping over backwards to get a bowl. Naturally, I wanted to try this product.

[Image: Cheddar-Horizontal_500x500.jpg]

Has anyone else had this? Is this really what macaroni and cheese tastes like? I mean, it wasn't awful, it just was not what I was expecting. It was thick and heavy and the flavor was overwhelming. It settled into my stomach and practically announced, "might as well get comfortable, Aliza. I'm going to be here for awhile."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
14-03-2016, 04:21 PM
RE: Daiya mac and cheese
I've never had it, but pretty sure I've seen at the market close to my house.

I can handle real cheese, it's the pasta that hates me. Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-03-2016, 04:28 PM
If I see it I'll pick it up next time I'm at the store and try it. Provided I'm not allergic to anything in it...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
14-03-2016, 04:29 PM
I haven't tried it. I do use daiya shredded cheese on my pizza, which is actually pretty good. Daiya cream cheese is really good too.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Cheese without dairy? ... Consider ... Toe cheese? Bellybutton cheese? Ear cheese? Armpit cheese? Crotch cheese?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-03-2016, 05:10 PM
(14-03-2016 04:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Cheese without dairy? ... Consider ... Toe cheese? Bellybutton cheese? Ear cheese? Armpit cheese? Crotch cheese?

I tasted an M&M a few years back out of pure curiosity, and to me, it stated disgusting. It had this weird, sour flavor. Gross.

But dairy-less cheese was pretty weird too. I dunno.... I'm not really an adventurous diner. I like my veggies, eggs, fish and hummus. ... and of course peanut butter. Smile
14-03-2016, 08:29 PM
(14-03-2016 04:28 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If I see it I'll pick it up next time I'm at the store and try it. Provided I'm not allergic to anything in it...

I saw from another post that you're allergic to peanuts. Are you also gluten free? I don't eat bread and pasta as a personal choice, but I can tolerate the gluten just fine.
24-03-2016, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 04:11 PM by Aliza.)
Follow up: I tried a new vegan mac and cheese, and this one was really good. It reminded me of the mac and cheese I ate as a kid. Smile

[Image: earth-balance-vegan-mac-and-cheese-cheddar-flavor-6-oz]
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-03-2016, 02:11 PM
The key to good mac and cheese, whatever the brand, and whether it's vegan or conventional, likes in adding a shitload of butter/margarine and salt.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
24-03-2016, 02:24 PM
(24-03-2016 02:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Follow: I tried a new vegan mac and cheese, and this one was really good. It reminded me of the mac and cheese I ate as a kid. Smile

[Image: earth-balance-vegan-mac-and-cheese-cheddar-flavor-6-oz]

They also make a vegan buttered popcorn that totally doesn't suck.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post