Dale Farm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Dale Farm
For those not familiar with the Dale Farm story, Dale Farm is an illegal traveller site in Essex, England. The local council has been fighting a legal battle for 10 years to remove them and it's come into the media spotlight in the last few weeks. The council have won the right to remove the travellers but eviction keeps getting delayed for more appeals. Here is a news report on the latest delay.

I feel like I'm missing something with all this so can someone please explain it to me. The land is in two parts. Both are owned by the travellers however one part has planning permission and is not part of this issue, the residents aren't facing eviction. The other part is designated as Green Belt land and has had planning permission refused. The travellers have built on it anyway. To me this seems pretty clear-cut. They built on Green Belt land, despite being refused permission so now they are being removed. Simple and fair. But they are claiming that their rights have been breached and they do seem to have a reasonable amount of outside support (though not among the local community).

So this brings me to my questions;
What is the big problem with removing illegal structures, surely thats the point of planning permission regulations?
Is there more to this than I am aware?
Why is it taking so long to fight such a seemingly clear-cut case?

If there's anyone on here who has any knowledge of such situations or is even involved in this one I would love to hear your input.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2011, 07:23 AM
RE: Dale Farm
Ive seen it on the news but i really dont know that much about it. If it doesnt have planning permission it shouldnt be up simple as that. It could be dangerous to the people living there for a start.

This may seem ignorant but if they say they are travellers then why are they so upset about moving to another site? as life on the road is how they choose to live their life.

I feel that there must be something else going on here that isnt being reported.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
27-09-2011, 10:42 AM
(27-09-2011 07:23 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Ive seen it on the news but i really dont know that much about it. If it doesnt have planning permission it shouldnt be up simple as that. It could be dangerous to the people living there for a start.

This may seem ignorant but if they say they are travellers then why are they so upset about moving to another site? as life on the road is how they choose to live their life.

I feel that there must be something else going on here that isnt being reported.

Exactly, I feel the same as you thats why I made the thread. If it's as simple as they have built illegally and so are being moved then what's the problem and why the massive legal battle for such a clear cut case.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
27-09-2011, 11:17 AM
(27-09-2011 07:23 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Ive seen it on the news but i really dont know that much about it. If it doesnt have planning permission it shouldnt be up simple as that. It could be dangerous to the people living there for a start.

I've read about it only a little, but I feel the same way you do. It doesn't make sense. There could be dangers to the residents from fires, they don't have permission to be there, so what kind of argument do they have?

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
27-09-2011, 02:21 PM
I know they are saying something about their human rights being violated but I've never heard which rights they are talking about.

Travellers tend to get shit anywhere they go so I don't know if it's just that bias but on a larger scale. It's strange usually the news would give more details than they have been giving. I suppose any local media outlets would give you more details than national news.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
27-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Been having a look online, apparently two of the arguments put forward by the travellers over the last few years are that the council has 'failed to pay due regard to its requirements under the race equality duty to promote race equality and good race relations when taking the decision to evict' and that it breaches their 'right to housing'.

As far as I'm concerned the first argument is completely invalid as in a non-racist society race should have no bearing on the eviction proceedings. The second is probably invalid as their are probably viable housing alternatives to building unauthorised structures on green belt land.

Best
Worst
28-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I suspect the problem is "viable" housing alternatives. I don't imagine these people own many parcels of land where it's legal to build or even camp, and other people are not all that keen to sell or lease to them - because, who wants them for neighbours?
I have no idea what this particular group is like to live near, or how much prejudice there is in the area - but, either way, i can imagine many townsfolk or country-folk being leery of a bunch of sudden strangers on their doorstep.
So, what's the law supposed to do?
It's easy enough to tell somebody, "Move along," - not so easy when they ask "Where to?"
And, of course, we don't know how many hotels and upscale housing developments have been built on designated green belt, when the bribe was more than travelers can fork over.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
19-10-2011, 03:03 PM
So, I thought I may as well revive this thread in light of recent events. For anyone unaware, riot police stormed the place today. Here is a news report for anyone interested.

Anyone heard anything more about, perhaps potential answers to the questions we asked before (such as why there has been such a legal battle, is there anything we aren't being told etc.)?

Best
Worst