Damages done by religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Damages done by religion
I have not had the chance to read through many of the posts on this forum, so please excuse me if this suggestion has been brought up before.

If religion were simply a harmless eccentricity, there would be no reason to oppose it. People should be left free to believe what they have determined to be truth. Unfortunately, religion is not just a harmless eccentricity. It has very damaging consequences in the political, social, and psychological spheres of our society. Have you ever considered a section of this forum dedicated to the enumeration and discussion of these damages? It is my belief that unchecked religious indoctrination always has and always will cause far more damage than good and thus, should be (judiciously) opposed. This is why I call myself an anti-theist (or, more specifically, an anti-theismist).

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: Damages done by religion
An interesting topic, but I doubt it's one that necessitates a separate forum section. How bout starting a thread on the topic (if you haven't already) in the "Atheism/theism" section, and if it really takes off we can sticky it. Savvy?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
07-12-2014, 10:26 AM
(03-12-2014 11:09 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have not had the chance to read through many of the posts on this forum, so please excuse me if this suggestion has been brought up before.

If religion were simply a harmless eccentricity, there would be no reason to oppose it. People should be left free to believe what they have determined to be truth. Unfortunately, religion is not just a harmless eccentricity. It has very damaging consequences in the political, social, and psychological spheres of our society. Have you ever considered a section of this forum dedicated to the enumeration and discussion of these damages? It is my belief that unchecked religious indoctrination always has and always will cause far more damage than good and thus, should be (judiciously) opposed. This is why I call myself an anti-theist (or, more specifically, an anti-theismist).

Go here http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...everything

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-12-2014, 08:26 AM
(07-12-2014 10:23 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  An interesting topic, but I doubt it's one that necessitates a separate forum section. How bout starting a thread on the topic (if you haven't already) in the "Atheism/theism" section, and if it really takes off we can sticky it. Savvy?

Will do. Thanks.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
11-12-2014, 02:59 PM
(03-12-2014 11:09 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  Have you ever considered a section of this forum dedicated to the enumeration and discussion of these damages? It is my belief that unchecked religious indoctrination always has and always will cause far more damage than good and thus, should be (judiciously) opposed.

The first place I would consider looking for such a topic is in the Recovering from Religion one in the Personal Issues section.
11-12-2014, 03:12 PM
If you want to believe a higher power, prime mover, architect/overseer exists, that's fine by me. If you want to conduct your life in accordance with the rules, customs, and rituals you believe derive from that creator, even if some of these customs include the notion that you are a lowly, flawed, subservient, ignorant, sinner by virtue of being born; also fine. However, If you want to forward the agenda that these rules and philosophies need to be taught in publicly-funded schools; that your belief in a creator justifies a subpar education for MY child, that is a huge problem.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
(07-12-2014 10:23 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  An interesting topic, but I doubt it's one that necessitates a separate forum section. How bout starting a thread on the topic (if you haven't already) in the "Atheism/theism" section, and if it really takes off we can sticky it. Savvy?

Every time you say "Savvy" I become more happier, because it makes me think our forum is run by Captain Jack Sparrow...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.