Dammit! I became an Atheist too soon!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2011, 10:59 PM
RE: Dammit! I became an Atheist too soon!
Here ya go, Preach...

The God Particle

I wouldn't expect you to know what you're talking about... Angel

But I was just scoping out my copy; which is in the bathroom for reading material after having been read twice. Wink

As for you, Kim; I'm not aware of a version of string theory that doesn't incorporate SUSY. If SUSY goes, the strings go with it. My inner scientist supports superposition, which is the closest normal scientific thought comes to this abnormal thinker. String theory has been in decline; I don't expect it to survive another year - I'm no pro, but the pros are thinking in other directions.

I just don't like it. What I like, of course, is almost entirely irrelevant. Almost, except for the Pure Number hypothesis. There's my life in those last three words - a completely odd, but rational contention considering how serious I was considering ending this story in January; and here I am because of that dang Gwynnies... it may become necessary to collect a group of experts to rationalize Pure Number. It's not bluster, it is merely a statement of the facts as I see 'em. I'd sound pretentious as hell to my own damn self if I did not develop this curious habit of drifting around the nets aimlessly and seeing Pure Number every-the-fuck-where. I've even considered the "I'm just a hammer and everything's just a nail" hypothesis of self-delusion, and I'm thinking, that ain't it. But, I would much rather have the pros do the science and Johnny Cantor do the running of the neck. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2011, 11:00 PM
(15-12-2011 10:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here ya go, Preach...

The God Particle

But I was just scoping out my copy; which is in the bathroom for reading material after having been read twice. Wink

You have a copy of Wikipedia in your bathroom?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-12-2011, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2011 11:09 PM by houseofcantor.)
(15-12-2011 10:15 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  If you think Atheists can be harsh to religious people you should see how physicist shoot each other down!

That's the problem with academia. Thank Gwynnies I was such a failure. Big Grin

What happens is quite literally faith. When one invests so much time and effort in building an identity in scholarship, that individual acquires faith in the reality said scholarship created in that individual's mind.
(15-12-2011 11:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 10:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here ya go, Preach...

The God Particle

You have a copy of Wikipedia in your bathroom?

Yeah, that's what I just said... wiseass. Big Grin

It makes me wanna cry. I wouldn't be surprised if Leon wrote that book in support of the SSC. The man's love of physics and the potential of the SSC is tangible in his writing - and our fucking theocratic congress killed the funding. Angry

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Lookie what Lubos said...

However, the exciting question that remains is whether or not the LHC will see something else beyond the 125 GeV Higgs. The very likely mass near 125 GeV makes both possibilities – yes and no – approximately equally likely. Stay tuned.

Feel free to parse the above link if you like that kinda stuff, but Lubos - the last happy string theorist - saying this makes me feel like I know WTF I'm talking about. For me, the meaning of this information is that my earlier self-diagnosis of being completely but functionally insane seems A-OK. Wink

16-12-2011, 06:39 AM
(15-12-2011 10:15 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  String theory ... looks like a jumble of equations that allow you wiggle room to fit in everything that is observed.

But that's precisely what physics is. Scientists make models that fit the observations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-12-2011, 06:51 AM
(16-12-2011 06:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 10:15 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  String theory ... looks like a jumble of equations that allow you wiggle room to fit in everything that is observed.

But that's precisely what physics is. Scientists make models that fit the observations.

Not exactly. Physics is f=ma. String theory is mathematics taken to its illogical extreme. Blame Paul Dirac; he's the first one that got away with it. Wink

16-12-2011, 07:09 AM
(16-12-2011 06:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 06:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Not exactly. Physics is f=ma. String theory is mathematics taken to its illogical extreme. Blame Paul Dirac; he's the first one that got away with it. Wink

F=ma is just a mathematical model; it doesn't describe or explain what force and mass are. It just describes the observed behavior.
No difference.

16-12-2011, 08:32 AM
(16-12-2011 07:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  F=ma is just a mathematical model; it doesn't describe or explain what force and mass are. It just describes the observed behavior.
No difference.

Well, there's 4 units in that mathematical model. Force. Equivalence. Mass. Acceleration.

Now, you do that to your string theory, mr. no difference. Big Grin

16-12-2011, 10:20 AM
(16-12-2011 08:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 07:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  F=ma is just a mathematical model; it doesn't describe or explain what force and mass are. It just describes the observed behavior.
No difference.

Well, there's 4 units in that mathematical model. Force. Equivalence. Mass. Acceleration.

It sounds like you are arguing that simpler models are somehow more 'real'.
Well, I'd say simpler models are usual just less accurate.

Newtonian mechanics is not as accurate as relativity, but it's simpler and good enough for daily use.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2011, 10:22 AM
(16-12-2011 10:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 08:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
No difference.

It sounds like you are arguing that simpler models are somehow more 'real'.
Well, I'd say simpler models are usual just less accurate.

Newtonian mechanics is not as accurate as relativity, but it's simpler and good enough for daily use.

This is so much more fun than the usual bible bashin'. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user