Damn Rain!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2014, 08:04 PM
RE: Damn Rain!
(20-07-2014 08:01 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 07:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of the advantages of not having a basement.

Course that 5 grand we spent last last year because the foundation was shifting, the house cracking, and doors sticking sorta sucked.

I was almost done remodeling the basement, all the doors are shot and the walls are warped.
I'm super happy I put all the electrical outlets up high in the walls though.
Never had anything more than a trickle during heavy rain until I decided to fix it up. Tongue

Every time my dad got the basement done like he wanted it - it flooded. I don't know that anything has ever been remodeled as often as that basement was. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-07-2014, 09:34 AM
MOVING TO CC.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-07-2014, 03:58 PM
(20-07-2014 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 08:01 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  I was almost done remodeling the basement, all the doors are shot and the walls are warped.
I'm super happy I put all the electrical outlets up high in the walls though.
Never had anything more than a trickle during heavy rain until I decided to fix it up. Tongue

Every time my dad got the basement done like he wanted it - it flooded. I don't know that anything has ever been remodeled as often as that basement was. No

Why bother if you know it's just gonna flood?

You Americans really should just keep your washer/dryer in the garage like everyone else. The "basement" is just a flawed concept.

[Image: oscar.png]
21-07-2014, 04:08 PM
(21-07-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Every time my dad got the basement done like he wanted it - it flooded. I don't know that anything has ever been remodeled as often as that basement was. No

You Americans really should just keep your washer/dryer in the garage like everyone else. The "basement" is just a flawed concept.

We don't keep our washers and dryers in our carports (well most don't). The majority of houses here are built with laundry rooms to house those items.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-07-2014, 04:15 PM
(21-07-2014 04:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why bother if you know it's just gonna flood?

We don't keep our washers and dryers in our carports (well most don't). The majority of houses here are built with laundry rooms to house those items.

Well there's your issue, you have "carports" and not "garages". A roof propped up by a couple of twigs does not qualify as a separate room.
I'd say most people in older homes have laundries to house such items here too, but modern homes now are being built with built in garages (garage joined to the house) and so that is becoming a garage/laundry.

21-07-2014, 04:35 PM
(21-07-2014 04:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 04:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  We don't keep our washers and dryers in our carports (well most don't). The majority of houses here are built with laundry rooms to house those items.

Well there's your issue, you have "carports" and not "garages". A roof propped up by a couple of twigs does not qualify as a separate room.
I'd say most people in older homes have laundries to house such items here too, but modern homes now are being built with built in garages (garage joined to the house) and so that is becoming a garage/laundry.

Here 'carport' and 'garage' tend to be almost synonymous, so there's that....

And here most houses are still being built with laundries. Must be architectural differences.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-07-2014, 06:10 PM
(21-07-2014 04:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 04:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well there's your issue, you have "carports" and not "garages". A roof propped up by a couple of twigs does not qualify as a separate room.

Here 'carport' and 'garage' tend to be almost synonymous, so there's that....

And here most houses are still being built with laundries. Must be architectural differences.

That's because you people are backwards.

And why would you want more dark dank rooms in Australia? Just more places for nasty spiders and snakes and killer robots and giant man eating wasps to hide in.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-07-2014, 06:13 PM
(21-07-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Every time my dad got the basement done like he wanted it - it flooded. I don't know that anything has ever been remodeled as often as that basement was. No

There wasn't room in the garage with two vehicles that we had to keep from freezing up in the winter...nor was there plumbing.

An in Iowa the basement is handy in keeping your pipes from freezing for the six months out of the year that the ground is frozen several feet down.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-07-2014, 11:58 PM
(21-07-2014 06:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 04:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Here 'carport' and 'garage' tend to be almost synonymous, so there's that....

That's because you people are backwards.

And why would you want more dark dank rooms in Australia? Just more places for nasty spiders and snakes and killer robots and giant man eating wasps to hide in.

Now you're just being silly...

22-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Quit fighting the inevitable. Since you're remodeling anyway, lose the plan to have another random room to store your crap, and instead install an indoor pool.

What could possibly go wrong?
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post