Get a computer.

dick.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-12-2012, 08:27 AM
RE: Damn it!
Stop being a pretentious little shit and get a fucking computer. Jesus fucking Christ, my generation. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
10-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I normally use Safari under OS X at home, and I can't post at all to the forum when I'm using it. I have to switch to Chrome or Firefox to post. It's annoying.
10-12-2012, 08:31 AM
(10-12-2012 08:30 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  I normally use Safari under OS X at home, and I can't post at all to the forum when I'm using it. I have to switch to Chrome or Firefox to post. It's annoying.
What's annoying is that people use Safari.

Poonjab
10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
(10-12-2012 08:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  What's annoying is that people use Safari.
No, what's annoying is that some developers are too lazy to test their code to ensure that it's properly cross-platform, as web sites are supposed to be. As far as Safari goes, I'll be the first to admit that it has its flaws, but until another browser comes along that supports Services, I'll be sticking with it.
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
(10-12-2012 08:39 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 08:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  What's annoying is that people use Safari.
No, what's annoying is that some developers are too lazy to test their code to ensure that it's properly cross-platform, as web sites are supposed to be. As far as Safari goes, I'll be the first to admit that it has its flaws, but until another browser comes along that supports Services, I'll be sticking with it.
No, what's annoying is that people still use Apple devices. Drinking Beverage

You buy a Macintosh, and then you complain about cross-compatibility issues. Really? It is not necessarily because of a "lazy" programmer. It is because Apple maintains ludicrously strict patents on literally everything they claim they own.

Poonjab
10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:No, what's annoying is that people still use Apple devices. Drinking Beverage
Why do you care? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly perplexed. I always have been. People who hate Apple products should be able to just not use them, shrug, and go about their business, but they never seem to be able to for some reason.)

Quote:You buy a Macintosh, and then you complain about cross-compatibility issues. Really?
When it comes to the Web? You bet I do. If it's something like desktop games or the like, then yes, I suck it up as being part of my choice in using a Mac. But part of the point of the Web is that it's supposed to be platform-agnostic.

Quote:It is not necessarily because of a "lazy" programmer. It is because Apple maintains patents on literally everything they claim they own.
The problem is that the site refuses to post my posts, saying that there is no text in the text box. That's a problem with the code, not with the browser or with any kind of patent. And yes, it is because of a lazy programmer. A web site developer who knows what he's doing knows that he's supposed to test his code in a variety of different browsers on a variety of different platforms to ensure that his site is cross-platform.

I work in desktop support, supporting both Macs and Windows seats, and I've lost count of how many times I've seen this kind of thing come up. It's not even just a Macintosh thing, either; in fact, as far as that goes, Mac compatibility problems are comparatively rare. It's far more common to see sites that work fine on IE under Windows but malfunction with Firefox under Windows. (In fact, I've got a couple of tickets for that very problem in my queue right now.)
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
(10-12-2012 09:21 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  
Quote:No, what's annoying is that people still use Apple devices. Drinking Beverage
Why do you care? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly perplexed. I always have been. People who hate Apple products should be able to just not use them, shrug, and go about their business, but they never seem to be able to for some reason.)

Quote:You buy a Macintosh, and then you complain about cross-compatibility issues. Really?
When it comes to the Web? You bet I do. If it's something like desktop games or the like, then yes, I suck it up as being part of my choice in using a Mac. But part of the point of the Web is that it's supposed to be platform-agnostic.

Quote:It is not necessarily because of a "lazy" programmer. It is because Apple maintains patents on literally everything they claim they own.
The problem is that the site refuses to post my posts, saying that there is no text in the text box. That's a problem with the code, not with the browser or with any kind of patent. And yes, it is because of a lazy programmer. A web site developer who knows what he's doing knows that he's supposed to test his code in a variety of different browsers on a variety of different platforms to ensure that his site is cross-platform.

I work in desktop support, supporting both Macs and Windows seats, and I've lost count of how many times I've seen this kind of thing come up. It's not even just a Macintosh thing, either; in fact, as far as that goes, Mac compatibility problems are comparatively rare. It's far more common to see sites that work fine on IE under Windows but malfunction with Firefox under Windows. (In fact, I've got a couple of tickets for that very problem in my queue right now.)
I care because of incessant whining I get from people when they purchase their social status device, also known as an Apple product. I also work with computers, and Macintoshes are a waste of time and money. I honestly can't wait for them to go out of business and get purchased by Samsung.

Web connectivity itself is platform agnostic. The programs you are able to utilize on the web are not.

Yes, I am well aware of issues pertaining to other browsers. Macintosh compatibility problems are markedly common in my experience. This is because of their in-house software design and heavy patenting. It constrains the freedom of third-party developers.

If a person wastes money on a Macintosh, they know nothing about the computers themselves.

Poonjab
10-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:I care because of incessant whining I get from people when they purchase their social status device, also known as an Apple product.

Could you just ignore them? Seriously, I'm trying to be helpful, here. People do a lot of things that I find pretty annoying, too, but when they do, I generally just try to tune them out.

Quote:I also work with computers, and Macintoshes are a waste of time and money.

Well, then, again: don't buy one, ignore it, and go about your business.

By way of comparison: I've been experimenting with shaving brushes recently. Some such brushes can cost over $1,000. (Yes, I'm serious.) You will probably not be surprised to learn that I would think that is a huge waste of money, as well -- but I don't rant and rave about it on my shaving brush discussion lists or anything. I don't even talk about it. I just look at the brush, murmur to myself, "Sheesh, are you kidding me?" And then, I simply don't buy the brush.

Quote:I honestly can't wait for them to go out of business and get purchased by Samsung.

That won't be happening any time soon. Apple is financially very healthy.

Quote:Web connectivity itself is platform agnostic. The programs you are able to utilize on the web are not.

That's not the point. The point is that if a site works properly in one browser but not in another, it's almost always the fault of the developer, not the browser.

Quote:Yes, I am well aware of issues pertaining to other browsers. Macintosh compatibility problems are markedly common in my experience.

*shrug* My experience has been different. At the largest shop I ever worked at, we supported about 600 Windows machines and about 400 Macs. Macs, although they accounted for forty percent of our seats, accounted for only about ten percent of our tickets, and most of those were for routine matters like software and OS upgrades, not for anything actually being wrong with the computer.

Quote:If a person wastes money on a Macintosh, they know nothing about the computers themselves.

Isn't that a pretty broad statement? Do you really think that anyone who buys a Mac must be computer illiterate?
10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
It's almost always the fault of the browser.

Also why the fuck do you use shaving brushes? What century are you in? Are you a hipster?

Oh and take your fight to the boxing ring ladies.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user