Damnit Kansas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 11:27 AM
RE: Damnit Kansas
(11-02-2014 08:49 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Sounds like they respect the freedom of religion aspect of the Constitution, but not the "freedom from religion" goals that forced the topic to be addressed in the document. Respect should not be applicable when it comes to treating other people in a public arena.

They seem to like it until someone other than a jesus freak tries to use it. Then we find out that they are just bigoted asswipes hiding behind fucking jesus.

http://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/2013...2-meeting/

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Quote:It's THEIR property, and THEIR business, and they have a right to discriminate.

No. They do not. This has been the law for 50 years.

[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-02-2014, 11:31 AM
(11-02-2014 11:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 08:49 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Sounds like they respect the freedom of religion aspect of the Constitution, but not the "freedom from religion" goals that forced the topic to be addressed in the document. Respect should not be applicable when it comes to treating other people in a public arena.

They seem to like it until someone other than a jesus freak tries to use it. Then we find out that they are just bigoted asswipes hiding behind fucking jesus.

http://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/2013...2-meeting/

From the comments in that link...

"I recently moved out of Overland Park to just across the state line. In my OP neighborhood, I saw two fully-burka-ed penguins walking down my sidewalk one day..."

Ugh, makes me sad to be an American.
11-02-2014, 11:33 AM
And it's wrong to force them. Their property, their rules. They might be bigoted asswipes, but in their private property that's their right.
11-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Well you are wrong.

[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
11-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Now that I had a chance to fully read the article...

Quote:Brunk pushed back against criticisms that the bill would violate the rights of some Kansans by allowing government employees to discriminate against them. “So if somebody is employed by a governmental entity as opposed to a private entity, do they no longer have very, very basic religious protections?” he asked. “I mean that’s fundamental within our constitution.” Though he said the bill was in response to federal court rulings, Brunk denied that the bill targets same-sex couples specifically. “It has do with marriage,” Brunk said. He said that the bill protects individuals from being forced to do something “that celebrates or solemnizes in some way a marriage, whether it’s a homosexual marriage or a heterosexual marriage.”

“The bill is clear about cutting both ways on that,” Brunk said.

So, he's basically saying that a government employee can 'refuse service' to anyone they want and can justify it with their religion? Just how is this helping his defense of this crappy law? So an interracial couple show up and someone can be like "nope, I don't recognize their marriage as legit because [shitty religious reasons]"?
[+] 1 user Likes Deerdra's post
11-02-2014, 11:38 AM
(11-02-2014 10:39 AM)natachan Wrote:  The second this gets challenged by one gay couple it'll get struck down by the supreme court. But it'll take a while.

I'm kinda torn. On the one hand if a PRIVATE business doesn't want to serve gays, that's their issue. They're immoral bigots, but that's their preference. It's THEIR property, and THEIR business, and they have a right to discriminate. When it comes to government employees that goes away. If you are a public employee you represent the state, and must act accordingly.

My problem is what's to stop a grocery store from placing a sign in the window saying they refuse to serve gays? Restaurants? They're also private businesses.

I think any law like this is a slippery slope. Does a business have the right to discriminate against anyone?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

11-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Kinda related, I'm reminded of this asshole.

http://kfor.com/2014/02/06/graphic-langu...imination/
11-02-2014, 11:50 AM
(11-02-2014 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  Kinda related, I'm reminded of this asshole.

http://kfor.com/2014/02/06/graphic-langu...imination/

That's just wow.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

11-02-2014, 11:55 AM
(11-02-2014 10:39 AM)natachan Wrote:  I'm kinda torn. On the one hand if a PRIVATE business doesn't want to serve gays, that's their issue. They're immoral bigots, but that's their preference. It's THEIR property, and THEIR business, and they have a right to discriminate. When it comes to government employees that goes away. If you are a public employee you represent the state, and must act accordingly.
I agree about the government part, but not about the private business part. We have anti-discrimination laws for a reason (at least in the US) and it applies just as much to private businesses.

Edit:
Oops, Minimalist already beat me to the point.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair