Dan Barker, "No meaning to life."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 05:06 AM
Dan Barker, "No meaning to life."
Sagan said it in his "Pale Blue Dot" speech, and even Shakespeare though he didn't have any scientific way of knowing how right he was in MacBeth Act 5 scene 5 "flurry of activity signifying nothing". It is absurd to think in a 14 billion year old universe on a 4 billion year old planet, that humans are the center of the planet, much less the universe. In cosmic time, no, there is no meaning, but NOW does matter.

http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/art...5228d.html

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 05:29 AM
RE: Dan Barker, "No meaning to life."
no inherent meaning or definitive meaning.

You can make up meaning like you can make up nonsense.

Quote:“We give value to things that are rare,"

quite right.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2016, 06:23 AM
I like the fact that I can arbitrarily make up my own meaning and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

'Murican Canadian
10-02-2016, 06:39 AM
(10-02-2016 06:23 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I like the fact that I can arbitrarily make up my own meaning and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

That's just mean! Do you mean it?

Or did I misunderstand your meaning?

Undecided

10-02-2016, 06:44 AM
(10-02-2016 06:23 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I like the fact that I can arbitrarily make up my own meaning and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

When I think about how divided the world can be, which wont go away completely, but when I think about it, the more I see that Dawkins was right to blame Plato, not for everything, but certain ideas that lead humans to chase after utopias be they religious or political or economic.

In his book "The Greatest Show On Earth", he places blame on Plato for his idea of essence, in that if you simply thought about something long enough you could find it's pure and core form. Plato had no idea back then how important the concept of testing and control groups were. He did give rise to the value of questioning, but it was not a complete idea.

Since Plato came up with the idea of "essence" it has gone on to infect human thought in both politics and religion, and science knows now that reality is not and never will be a utopia.

The idea of a perfect world needs to die if our species wants to extend our finite ride.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
10-02-2016, 07:07 AM
All this fuss is basically all false dichotomy. ALL humans, (believers and non-believers) come to to value and find meaningful what they do. The idea that theists share some sort of common meaning is complete bullshit. They are, (just as atheists) as different as night and day.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Agree, no meaning, other then what you make your own life to be. There's a purpose, survival, but no meaning.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-02-2016, 07:46 AM
And how boring life gets once survival is all but guaranteed on a day to day basis.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-02-2016, 08:01 AM
(10-02-2016 07:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And how boring life gets once survival is all but guaranteed on a day to day basis.

Isn't that what masturbation's for? Yes

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
10-02-2016, 08:12 AM
(10-02-2016 08:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 07:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And how boring life gets once survival is all but guaranteed on a day to day basis.

Isn't that what masturbation's for? Yes

There's only so many hours I can do that each day.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post