Dan Barker, "No meaning to life."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 08:12 AM
RE: Dan Barker, "No meaning to life."
(10-02-2016 07:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  All this fuss is basically all false dichotomy. ALL humans, (believers and non-believers) come to to value and find meaningful what they do. The idea that theists share some sort of common meaning is complete bullshit. They are, (just as atheists) as different as night and day.

Yabut, they either don't know it or are too scared shitless to admit it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-02-2016, 08:18 AM
(10-02-2016 08:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 07:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  All this fuss is basically all false dichotomy. ALL humans, (believers and non-believers) come to to value and find meaningful what they do. The idea that theists share some sort of common meaning is complete bullshit. They are, (just as atheists) as different as night and day.

Yabut, they either don't know it or are too scared shitless to admit it.

I think it's some of both. There are a lot of professed theists that don't really believe that shit but are go-alongers. I'm sure there are many who truly believe the BS but still, a lot less than are willing to admit it. I think these are the ones who are finally coming out as the "nones". We'll see more and more of this as it becomes more acceptable to not be identified with a religion.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2016, 09:06 AM
(10-02-2016 07:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And how boring life gets once survival is all but guaranteed on a day to day basis.

I have no problem with this. It means that I can pursue other interests more fully. Since I retired, I've taken up wood carving, and have more time for wood working (I'm building a new chest for the carving tools). Not getting up at O-dark-30 in the morning, and getting back home 12 hours later (on a good day- drive time was minimum 2 hours round trip) after 25 years of doing it is quite a relief. Maybe not life and death, though some of the people driving the freeways here in California make it pretty close, sometimes.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. It took me years to truly become adjusted to civilian life after I got out of the Navy.
10-02-2016, 09:10 AM
(10-02-2016 07:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And how boring life gets once survival is all but guaranteed on a day to day basis.

"Boring" is an attitude, not a script.

I like being at home and I get my stimulation from online debate. Lots of people think that is "boring", but I don't give a shit. It costs very little, it keeps me out of trouble.

I used to like to go out, I used to be fascinated by going different places. But the more I did that, the more I realized the only thing that changes is the climate, and plants and clothing, humans are still the same.

Reality certainly isn't as sexy as religion wants to make it out to be. But that does not mean it has to be boring. I still find awe in nature, I still find life intellectually stimulating.

Just like some people like the NFL and others hate it. I hate golf others like it. Some people like the outdoors, I like being at home.

"Boring" is a point of view, not a script to be projected on others.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2016, 09:15 AM
(10-02-2016 08:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Isn't that what masturbation's for? Yes

There's only so many hours I can do that each day.

24?

Well, figuring you need at least 6 hours sleep and another hour for eating and general personal hygiene... 17?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 09:32 AM
What is the meaning of life? What does a tree mean? What does a chocolate cake mean? So many meaningless questions fogging up the ether.