Dangerous activism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 07:14 AM by The Germans are coming.)
Dangerous activism
Just take a look at this:

What you see (ship that rams the vessel from where the film is made) is a vessel owned by an anti-whaling charity "Sea Sheapard", ramming a Japanese whaling ship.

This to me points out something that I believe is not discussed enought.

The outright dangerous and reckless militant behavior of some enviormentalist activists.

I am someone who supports many enviormentalist movements, but I can only object to this kind of behavior. And it seems to be on the rise with "animal rights" activists setting fire to scientific labs and actions like the one shown above.

I have worked voluntarily for amnesty international for 2 years, translating texts and offering people petitions to sign.

From those years I recall reading through various peacefull and creative actions undertaken by activists especialy in Belarus that didn`t cause any harm to anyone.

The behavior seen in the video above, is just simply outright rejectable and even criminal!

What if one or both of those ships would have ended up in distress on sea?!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
03-02-2014, 07:08 AM
RE: Dangerous activism
(03-02-2014 06:59 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Just take a look at this:

The "Sea Shepherd" (ship that rams the vessel from where the film is made) is a vessel owned by an anti-whaling charity, in this vid it ramms a Japanese whaling ship.

This to me points out something that I believe is not discussed enought.

The outright dangerous and reckless militant behavior of some enviormentalist activists.

I am someone who supports many enviormentalist movements, but I can only object to this kind of behavior. And it seems to be on the rise with "animal rights" activists setting fire to scientific labs and actions like the one shown above.

I have worked voluntarily for amnesty international for 2 years, translating texts and offering people petitions to sign.

From those years I recall reading through various peacefull and creative actions undertaken by activists especialy in Belarus that didn`t cause any harm to anyone.

The behavior seen in the video above, is just simply outright rejectable and even criminal!

What if one or both of those ships would have ended up in distress on sea?!

I agree and thought during the 80s and 90s particularly the animal rights guys went way over the top. Posting bombs to scientists and other such crazy shit. At the moment the next movement to take that 1 step too far is the anti-male factions of the feminist movement. You watch Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
03-02-2014, 07:16 AM
*groans*

We get this on the news alll the time. Sea Sheppard is a kiwi thing embarrassingly.
And before you think it, I too think they're reckless pieces of shit.

I'm honestly sick of hearing about their crap. They always try to play the high and mighty position despite almost always being the aggressor.
It's like anything they do is inherently good and anything the Japs do is inherently bad.

Both sides, the Japs and Sea Sheppard are reckless, stupid idiots.
OH and guess who gets to bail them out when shit hits the fan?

By the way, I'm anti-whaling. But I'm also anti-douche so...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Just watched the video. Just to add, so it's not so one sided. The Japanese are fucking horrible as well.
Cutting dangerously across Sea Sheppard ships while dragging chains designed to destroy propellers and rudders.

Both sides are as bad as each other.

03-02-2014, 07:25 AM
(03-02-2014 07:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just watched the video. Just to add, so it's not so one sided. The Japanese are fucking horrible as well.
Cutting dangerously across Sea Sheppard ships while dragging chains designed to destroy propellers and rudders.

Maybe we should just lock them up together in an arena with a bunch of random weapons.

And broadcast the result on TV for the purpose of public entertainment.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
03-02-2014, 07:36 AM
I would be in favor of this solution.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-02-2014, 10:16 AM
The one point I would make is that sometimes marginal groups feel forced into risky behaviors. Do not agree with these risky behaviors but I can understand them.
06-02-2014, 11:23 PM
I would say what the "Sea Sheapard" ship did, is more than just criminal, it's the type of assault that justifies deadly force in response.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
06-02-2014, 11:30 PM
(03-02-2014 07:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just watched the video. Just to add, so it's not so one sided. The Japanese are fucking horrible as well.

I don't agree with whaling at all, but it's legal under their jurisdiction. The whalers are engaged in self defense. It's only because the Sea Sheppard ships are attacking and harrassing them, that they would end up torn up by the chains.

Most of us would do the same thing if we were engaged in a legal activity we deamed legitimate, that we had invested a lot of money in, and some group was constantly harassing us and putting us at risk.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
08-02-2014, 05:03 PM
(06-02-2014 11:30 PM)toadaly Wrote:  I don't agree with whaling at all, but it's legal under their jurisdiction. The whalers are engaged in self defense. It's only because the Sea Sheppard ships are attacking and harrassing them, that they would end up torn up by the chains.

Most of us would do the same thing if we were engaged in a legal activity we deamed legitimate, that we had invested a lot of money in, and some group was constantly harassing us and putting us at risk.

I'm very much in favor of animal rights, and opposed to whaling, as well inflicting harm on any intelligent, emotionally-developed creatures.

With that being said.... Of course piracy at sea is not a way to solve issues. However, the most egregious and fearsome pirates at sea, showing total disregard for international law, are, of course, working for the government. Say a vessel is in international waters after departing from N Korea or Iran. They haven't broken any laws, the US has NO jurisdiction over them, yet the US military will regularly stop the ships, use military force if the ships resist boarding, and if the crew has violated US laws, even if they're not violating international laws, the US will still kidnap and bring them back to a US base for questioning. That is, by every legal definition, piracy. Or consider when the US thought Snowden might be on the Bolivian President's private plane, the US and UK pressured Western European countries to hijack the plane and force it to land so they could inspect it, even though the plane wasn't breaking any laws. Imagine if the US President's plane was flying over, say, Russia, and Russia suspected a Russian dissident was on the plane, so they grounded it. That would start WWIII.

Bottom line is how can you expect environment groups to abide by the rule of international law when the governments' themselves don't even do it? It's a 'do as I say, not as I do' policy.