Dangers of dating a religious person

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2016, 10:13 AM
RE: Dangers of dating a religious person
(22-02-2016 01:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 12:56 PM)larry-new Wrote:  In the end, it would prove impossible, IMO, for true intimacy depends on a shared worldview.

I wouldn't lead with my atheist beliefs, as in on a profile for a dating site. Intellectual curiosity being what it is, I found my partner attractive in an intellectual sense first, and the atheist conversations flowed from that a bit later. It so happened she had had the same thoughts, but had noone to explore them with.

There is no way I could not lead with my atheist foot. If I have to hide something that important I dont want to date them. I'm glad it worked out for you though.

Me, too. After getting messages on a dating site that I should reconsider so I don't go to hell I put a warning at the very top of my profile that I will report preaching messages as harassment because that is what I did with that members message. It is a dating site and I'm not there to be preached to!

Glad you both found your significant other. Wish me luck! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 10:18 AM
(16-02-2016 10:12 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  ...I'm forever going to be wary of becoming entangled with a religious person again no matter how nice she otherwise is. What I've learned from this is that when the poo really hits the fan it's not reality that they will likely turn to - it's superstitious religious nonsense. Feelings of shame that stem from tyrannical opinions of female sexuality will also likely be dredged up, if it isn't already there from the start.

Cynical? Probably, but it's better to be cautious. I don't want this to happen again.

Sorry you experienced this betrayal. Glad you've learned something new. And like other said, better to find it out sooner rather than later. Best wishes! I'm new here, too, btw. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your plight. You obviously love/loved her. It's a great pity that people don't follow the supposed teachings of jesus, otherwise, there wouldn't be all of this crap around.

My wife was a christian when we met. Both her parents, now divorced, are vicars. I didn't give a rat's ass what her religion was/is. We were soul mates. We were meant to be together and that was that. We didn't take long to agree that we needed to be together and moved in and soon married. We've been through a lot together. We've had miscarriage after miscarriage. I lost both my parents and my best friend in quick succession. Through all of this, we had each other.

Eventually, she became an atheist because life taught her to follow the evidence. This was in spite of me trying to persuade her otherwise. I didn't want her becoming an atheist because of anything I said/didn't say. I didn't want anyone pointing at me for being the villain. It had to be her call, not mine.

My take is this. If you suffer from religion, suffer in silence. Try coming into the public domain at extolling the virtues of religion and you are gonna get the fucking thing shoved right up your ass.

I love my wife, no iffs, buts ands or ors. Christianity doesn't and shouldn't come into it. If it does, then there's the fault because christianity is about peace, love, understanding and acceptance - NOT, repeat NOT, about bigotry and rejection.

If your girl is rejecting you because of her religion, she needs to seriously question her religion because that's not what religion is supposed to be about.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
02-03-2016, 02:33 PM
(02-03-2016 10:13 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 01:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There is no way I could not lead with my atheist foot. If I have to hide something that important I dont want to date them. I'm glad it worked out for you though.

Me, too. After getting messages on a dating site that I should reconsider so I don't go to hell I put a warning at the very top of my profile that I will report preaching messages as harassment because that is what I did with that members message. It is a dating site and I'm not there to be preached to!

I do wish you luck. Just be careful, I met my knight in shining armour on this very website, and we have a baby hobbit now. Wink
02-03-2016, 02:34 PM
(02-03-2016 10:43 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I'm sorry to hear about your plight. You obviously love/loved her. It's a great pity that people don't follow the supposed teachings of jesus, otherwise, there wouldn't be all of this crap around.

My wife was a christian when we met. Both her parents, now divorced, are vicars. I didn't give a rat's ass what her religion was/is. We were soul mates. We were meant to be together and that was that. We didn't take long to agree that we needed to be together and moved in and soon married. We've been through a lot together. We've had miscarriage after miscarriage. I lost both my parents and my best friend in quick succession. Through all of this, we had each other.

Eventually, she became an atheist because life taught her to follow the evidence. This was in spite of me trying to persuade her otherwise. I didn't want her becoming an atheist because of anything I said/didn't say. I didn't want anyone pointing at me for being the villain. It had to be her call, not mine.

My take is this. If you suffer from religion, suffer in silence. Try coming into the public domain at extolling the virtues of religion and you are gonna get the fucking thing shoved right up your ass.

I love my wife, no iffs, buts ands or ors. Christianity doesn't and shouldn't come into it. If it does, then there's the fault because christianity is about peace, love, understanding and acceptance - NOT, repeat NOT, about bigotry and rejection.

If your girl is rejecting you because of her religion, she needs to seriously question her religion because that's not what religion is supposed to be about.

Actually the bible is full of rejection and bigotry, but I get what youre saying. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
02-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Once I removed my burka, my husband tried to kill me because I was a man... I didn't even get a chance to tell him I was atheist.
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
26-03-2016, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 04:35 AM by Krypttonigt.)
(02-03-2016 10:18 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 10:12 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  ...I'm forever going to be wary of becoming entangled with a religious person again no matter how nice she otherwise is. What I've learned from this is that when the poo really hits the fan it's not reality that they will likely turn to - it's superstitious religious nonsense. Feelings of shame that stem from tyrannical opinions of female sexuality will also likely be dredged up, if it isn't already there from the start.

Cynical? Probably, but it's better to be cautious. I don't want this to happen again.

Sorry you experienced this betrayal. Glad you've learned something new. And like other said, better to find it out sooner rather than later. Best wishes! I'm new here, too, btw. Smile

Thanks a lot for that, and welcome Smile It's nice here, we have cookies! ...And logic, but mostly cookies.
Very recently I've started talking a lot to someone nice on a dating site and only yesterday got her Facebook details...upon logging in I saw her page literally FLOODED with inane Christian dogma Gasp
As nice as she is there's a voice in my head telling me to runrunrunrunrunrunrun

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
26-03-2016, 04:34 AM
(02-03-2016 02:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 10:13 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  Me, too. After getting messages on a dating site that I should reconsider so I don't go to hell I put a warning at the very top of my profile that I will report preaching messages as harassment because that is what I did with that members message. It is a dating site and I'm not there to be preached to!

I do wish you luck. Just be careful, I met my knight in shining armour on this very website, and we have a baby hobbit now. Wink

Awwww Thumbsup

26-03-2016, 04:45 AM
(02-03-2016 10:04 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 11:27 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  At this point in my own life I would rather be single than to date a theist.

Me, too. I enjoy my beliefs and areas of study (science, philosophy/logic) and want someone who will not merely tolerate those things, but be as passionate about the science of the physical universe as I am.

The way I explained it to someone recently who claimed to be agnostic because he rejects religions but who is still Theist --- He insisted that it didn't matter to dating that he is theist and I am an atheist . I told him I want someone who is at least at the same point in this journey, so that we can go forward together. That I want someone who knows where I'm coming from, not that I'd have to explain it. He said he is open minded. I told him yes he may be open minded but I've no interest in converting him.

If I were twenty-something or even thirty-something I might feel differently but at my age, as the saying goes, "I'm too old for that s#*t!" Blink

Very well put! Bowing

28-03-2016, 12:32 PM
(02-03-2016 10:04 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 11:27 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  At this point in my own life I would rather be single than to date a theist.

Me, too. I enjoy my beliefs and areas of study (science, philosophy/logic) and want someone who will not merely tolerate those things, but be as passionate about the science of the physical universe as I am.

The way I explained it to someone recently who claimed to be agnostic because he rejects religions but who is still Theist --- He insisted that it didn't matter to dating that he is theist and I am an atheist . I told him I want someone who is at least at the same point in this journey, so that we can go forward together. That I want someone who knows where I'm coming from, not that I'd have to explain it. He said he is open minded. I told him yes he may be open minded but I've no interest in converting him.

If I were twenty-something or even thirty-something I might feel differently but at my age, as the saying goes, "I'm too old for that s#*t!" Blink

Exactly! I just don't feel the need to get caught up in the same issues over and over with new people. I will be happily single until I can find a good atheist girl. If that never happens I can accept that.
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post