Daniel 2 Prophecy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 04:48 PM
RE: Daniel 2 Prophecy
(01-05-2016 07:22 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 12:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... What about Judaism? Isn't it also part of the statue?

If it is, then Islam has certainly dominated the Jews and land formerly occupied by Jews.

I don't know the correct interpretation of the dream/prophecy, but the rock as Islam just seems to fit better if we're taking the position that it applies to the modern era.

Ummm, "correct interpretation"? Consider

There is no correct interpretation. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2016, 09:25 AM
(30-04-2016 09:27 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Thanks, guys.

I do realise that I've been making a lot of threads recently. I'm just trying to learn more so I don't get so scared whenever someone brings up some sort of "proof" of God, the Bible, or Christianity.

I wouldn't be scared. At least in my corner of the country, the theists don't really know their bible. Like most, they only know what they are spoon fed by the pastor of the church. I have brought up stuff that makes them say "That's not in there.", only to have them apologize later when they looked it up and found it. Even the ends of the stories told by the pastor. He always stops his sermon before the bad parts or skips over those parts. It really does amaze me. My wife gets angry when I bring up stuff in the bible that she finds inexcusable, yet she still claims to believe. Usually just one bad thing in the bible that you can prove is in there and the theist goes away.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2016, 09:34 AM
(03-05-2016 09:25 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 09:27 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Thanks, guys.

I do realise that I've been making a lot of threads recently. I'm just trying to learn more so I don't get so scared whenever someone brings up some sort of "proof" of God, the Bible, or Christianity.

I wouldn't be scared. At least in my corner of the country, the theists don't really know their bible. Like most, they only know what they are spoon fed by the pastor of the church. I have brought up stuff that makes them say "That's not in there.", only to have them apologize later when they looked it up and found it. Even the ends of the stories told by the pastor. He always stops his sermon before the bad parts or skips over those parts. It really does amaze me. My wife gets angry when I bring up stuff in the bible that she finds inexcusable, yet she still claims to believe. Usually just one bad thing in the bible that you can prove is in there and the theist goes away.

unless they have excellent spin skills. then you'll be locked in a ridiculous discussion until you start swearing in frustration at all the stupidity, at which point they will claim the morale high ground and walk off with an undeserved sense of accomplishment.
03-05-2016, 10:10 AM
(03-05-2016 09:34 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 09:25 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I wouldn't be scared. At least in my corner of the country, the theists don't really know their bible. Like most, they only know what they are spoon fed by the pastor of the church. I have brought up stuff that makes them say "That's not in there.", only to have them apologize later when they looked it up and found it. Even the ends of the stories told by the pastor. He always stops his sermon before the bad parts or skips over those parts. It really does amaze me. My wife gets angry when I bring up stuff in the bible that she finds inexcusable, yet she still claims to believe. Usually just one bad thing in the bible that you can prove is in there and the theist goes away.

unless they have excellent spin skills. then you'll be locked in a ridiculous discussion until you start swearing in frustration at all the stupidity, at which point they will claim the morale high ground and walk off with an undeserved sense of accomplishment.

When did you debate William Lane Craig?
06-05-2016, 02:18 PM
(01-05-2016 10:10 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  It's annoying when people talk about faith as if it's a good thing until they start talking to an atheist. Then, faith is a bad thing all of a sudden. "It takes more faith to be an atheist."

Whether faith is good or bad depends on what or who you have faith in. If you are sick and put your faith in a doctor who understands your illness and knows how to cure it, it is good. If you put your faith in a quack who is incompetent it is bad.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2016, 02:24 PM
(06-05-2016 02:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 10:10 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  It's annoying when people talk about faith as if it's a good thing until they start talking to an atheist. Then, faith is a bad thing all of a sudden. "It takes more faith to be an atheist."

Whether faith is good or bad depends on what or who you have faith in. If you are sick and put your faith in a doctor who understands your illness and knows how to cure it, it is good. If you put your faith in a quack who is incompetent it is bad.

I guess. It still doesn't explain why people say stuff like "It takes more faith to be an atheist."

Also, faith in a doctor makes more sense than putting faith on something that there is no evidence of. Doctors have studied and in most, they have done whatever they're doing on you before. They have a degree and things like that. With a deity, there's nothing you can see for proof. How would I know if he would know what he's doing or if he's even real?
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
06-05-2016, 02:25 PM
(06-05-2016 02:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Whether faith is good or bad depends on what or who you have faith in. If you are sick and put your faith in a doctor who understands your illness and knows how to cure it, it is good. If you put your faith in a quack who is incompetent it is bad.

Equivocate on the definition of faith much? Faith, in the sense of trust based on evidence, is not at all the same as faith relating to belief without evidence. I do not have "faith" in a doctor, I trust based on required education and certification and I revise the level of trust based on what they say and do.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-05-2016, 02:27 PM
(06-05-2016 02:24 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I guess. It still doesn't explain why people say stuff like "It takes more faith to be an atheist."

If they can get you to agree that you have faith (in any sense of the word) then they can claim that their faith (in the religious sense) is justified.

It's a bait-and-switch move and is incredibly dishonest.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-05-2016, 02:28 PM
(06-05-2016 02:24 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 02:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Whether faith is good or bad depends on what or who you have faith in. If you are sick and put your faith in a doctor who understands your illness and knows how to cure it, it is good. If you put your faith in a quack who is incompetent it is bad.

I guess. It still doesn't explain why people say stuff like "It takes more faith to be an atheist."

Also, faith in a doctor makes more sense than putting faith on something that there is no evidence of. Doctors have studied and in most, they have done whatever they're doing on you before. They have a degree and things like that. With a deity, there's nothing you can see for proof. How would I know if he would know what he's doing or if he's even real?

What they are saying is that the risk of being wrong in gods existence is uneven. If you are wrong and he/she/it exists and you went with he/she/it does not, you go to hell. If the theist is wrong and you just cease to exist, no harm done. So in their mind if they ever were to disbelieve, the evidence better be overwhelming. Since they are hedging their bets.
06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
(06-05-2016 02:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  

Two step's away from reason.

You basically just demonstrated that faith has no baring on the truth of the matter.

Faith has two definitions.
1.complete trust or confidence in someone or something

2.strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Faith in the context that most religious people like to push, is number two. Number two definition is basically another use of the word belief. People can believe in anything (and usually do) they can believe in fairies, and little green men from mars. They can believe that we only have to live off of sun light, or tofu is delicious, or even gods. But a belief is not based on evidence. It's assumptions.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post