Daniel's vision of four beasts (Daniel 7)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2015, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2015 09:40 AM by Learner.)
Daniel's vision of four beasts (Daniel 7)
In the book of Daniel chapter 7, Daniel has a vision of four beasts which correspond to four major successive kingdoms. Fundamentalist Christians typically see the fourth beast as Rome, and were this true, this would mean "Daniel" actually foresaw something outside of his time, even with the secular historian dating of the book around 164 BCE (due to the failed predictions at the end of chapter 11 about the death of Antiochus Epiphanes IV). Secular historians say the fourth beast was Greece, and say the book of "Daniel" is after-the-event prophecy.

Does anyone know of some good books or online resources to read argumentation that the fourth beast is Greece, like specifically how to understand the characteristics of each beast and which kingdom it pertains to? I'm curious to learn what the numbers 4, 10, etc historically mean with reference to like the third and fourth beasts. I want to learn this so I can better understand that the book of Daniel truly is after-the-event "prophecy."

(I would appreciate only comments that are serious, on-topic, and informative. Thank you.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2015, 08:59 AM
RE: Daniel's vision of four beasts (Daniel 7)
If it was a prophecy of any merit, Daniel would have specified whether he was referring to Greece or Rome.
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
16-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Prophecy is just a polite word for terminal bullshitting...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Onlinebiker, I would appreciate it if you would kindly follow my request in my post above: serious, on-topic, informative responses only. Thank you.
16-06-2015, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2015 09:47 AM by Learner.)
(16-06-2015 08:59 AM)photon9 Wrote:  If it was a prophecy of any merit, Daniel would have specified whether he was referring to Greece or Rome.

Not necessarily with the genre of apocalyptic literature.
16-06-2015, 09:06 AM
(16-06-2015 09:04 AM)Learner Wrote:  Onlinebiker, I would appreciate it if you would kindly follow my request in my post above: serious, on-topic, informative responses only. Thank you.

You expect atheists to take "prophecy" seriously???????

It's just made up stories. They have no merit, and should be kept in the "Myth and Legend" aisle of the library.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-06-2015, 09:08 AM
ADMINS: could you please delete this thread?
16-06-2015, 09:11 AM
LOL

Now comes the coverup......

OK Mr. Nixon....

16-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Obviously HE takes "prophecy" very seriously.
The POINT is the 4th beast .... ("oh you beast") could be ANYTHING. They invented it so that could "postdictum" whatever they chose later to say it was. The entire book of Daniel was PRE-dated to make it look like what was written POST, was a PRE-diction. Arguing with Fundies is a worthless enterprise.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Whomever interprets "kingdom" to be some specific place, city, or peoples may have some specific agenda to do so. Hate and it's propaganda is anyone's guess.

I like bible gateway for quick reference in discussions. It is cross referenced with numerous versions of any verse you put in the search bar.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+7

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein