Dark Light's Veggie Growing Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2013, 12:44 AM
RE: Dark Light's Veggie Growing Thread
(08-06-2013 12:08 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Get a five gallon pot (like one you'd buy a tree in). Fill it with a good mix (DL or I can tell you a good pot mix if you need) and plant whatever you want. Then put in a tomato cage and wrap in netting. Easy-peasy bird-proof planter. Now go make a whole bunch more and put them wherever it's convenient to water them. A broccoli in this one. A mini bed of carrots there (about two meals worth fit in a pot) another with a couple stalks of corn (two stalks feed my family of three four times). Frost coming tonight? No worries, just pick up the tomatoes and put them indoors over night.

Ooh I have the pots already...that's an interesting idea.

What kind of soil?? Like miracle grow? I used to buy a potting mix...will have to ask husband what it was called.

Actually I was briefly thinking of doing some hydroponics in my garage...

But that's totally different. I'd be happy to be able to grow basil.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 12:56 AM
1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 good compost. You can buy it all in bags. Every time you harvest from a pot, just throw in a handful of compost to replace nutrients, then re-plant with something else.

Basically square-foot gardening with a stark raving twist.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
08-06-2013, 01:00 AM
The absolute best advice you'll ever get is to put your garden somewhere convienient. Close to the kitchen, or right by the back door. With the pots, if you find a plant gets neglected, just pick it up and move it to where you spend more time. And as the season changes, you can follow the sun and maximize the limited sunshine you get. Just move the pots two feet to the left and suddenly they are out of that trees shadow for most of the day.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
08-06-2013, 01:31 AM
(08-06-2013 12:56 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 good compost. You can buy it all in bags. Every time you harvest from a pot, just throw in a handful of compost to replace nutrients, then re-plant with something else.

Basically square-foot gardening with a stark raving twist.

That's some good advice, if your really get into gardening you can actually look at charts which advise on specific crop rotation. Different plants like different nutrients more than others. To optimize you can find a year to year chart on what to plant, but it isn't absolutely necessary, and frankly a little advanced for the intentions of my thread, but if it evolves into advanced gardening techniques then so be it. I just might not be much help anymore Blush

I have no experience in hydroponics, but something tells me that Stark may be able to help on that front Tongue

The pots are a fine way to go for a small setup, but be warned, as your garden gets larger it may become more of a hassle than it's worth. Personally, I put several tomatoes in buckets, which is what I prize the most. That way, no matter what happens I will at least have some tomatoes. Most of my garden is done the traditional route.

As for the mixture, like I said, I do my own composting. I simply add whatever I wish (peat for example) then tumble it for a few minutes, then it is all ready to go. I built a small trailer for my lawn tractor/riding lawn mower. I just back up my trailer to the composter, dump it in the trailer and head out to the garden. You don't have to do something on that scale though if you don't wish. Where as I used a 55-gallon drum, you can easily use a couple of large buckets with lids (the ones that have twist on lids are ideal) , drill several holes and boom! Instant composter.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
(08-06-2013 01:00 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The absolute best advice you'll ever get is to put your garden somewhere convienient. Close to the kitchen, or right by the back door. With the pots, if you find a plant gets neglected, just pick it up and move it to where you spend more time. And as the season changes, you can follow the sun and maximize the limited sunshine you get. Just move the pots two feet to the left and suddenly they are out of that trees shadow for most of the day.

Our deck gets the most sun...when it's out. The back yard is mostly shaded.

We do live in Oregon....too much rain is a huge issue and total lack of sunlight. That's why I've been thinking of hydroponics. And here, it seems we have two seasons. We might not get much rain between now and September/October. Then that's it until like next June/July.

08-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I grow a lot of herbs on my deck in pots, and the pots are on rollers, so it's easy to move them around. Some of them have been in the same pots for 5 years or so and have grown huge. I also have pots with annual herbs...

I also grow limes, lemons and mandarins in pots out there - these I have to bring in when it gets cold, but I enjoy having them inside when it's all dead out there in winter.

I also have a veggie garden with raised beds. The climate here is sunny and more on the dry side except in fall and winter. I have drip irrigation in the raised beds. Every spring I get a pickup truck load of fresh compost and top the beds with it before planting.

I start planting in March or so, leafy veggies. Then the usual summer crops and then leafy veggies again. I have an arbor with grapes over the front gate - yum. And I have plums, apples and pears, strawberries and blueberries. I recently planted some Persimmons (both the astringent and the non astringent) and some gooseberries.

I just love going "shopping" with a basket in the garden. Half the time I am stuffed before I even get back to the kitchen. Sun warmed tomatoes and plums and, and... my version of paradise. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Although I've never used one personally, I have known several folks who use a green house. This sounds like it would be the perfect solution for you IMO. Plenty of sunshine, and protection from birds. I've never made one, but I'm certain they could be made with very little skills. They sell kits if convenience is more important than money to you, otherwise some PVC pipe and rolls of plastic should make a fine green house. Give it some consideration.

08-06-2013, 12:06 PM
We have an apple-pear tree that I adore. The cherry tree is useless because the birds get the cherries. Undecided We have a plum tree that's got a ton of plums on it this year...

Hope the possum doesn't eat them all like last time.

We also have an apple tree that gives the most horrid apples.

We have two blueberry bushes, but...honestly they don't become very sweet anymore because of the lack of sunlight.

08-06-2013, 12:11 PM
(08-06-2013 12:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have an apple-pear tree that I adore. The cherry tree is useless because the birds get the cherries. Undecided We have a plum tree that's got a ton of plums on it this year...

Hope the possum doesn't eat them all like last time.

We also have an apple tree that gives the most horrid apples.

We have two blueberry bushes, but...honestly they don't become very sweet anymore because of the lack of sunlight.

Veggies that are ok with little sun are

Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, and cress.
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Peas
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Radishes
Swiss Chard
Leafy Greens, such as collards, mustard greens, spinach, and kale
Beans

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-06-2013, 12:12 PM
(08-06-2013 11:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  I grow a lot of herbs on my deck in pots, and the pots are on rollers, so it's easy to move them around. Some of them have been in the same pots for 5 years or so and have grown huge. I also have pots with annual herbs...

I also grow limes, lemons and mandarins in pots out there - these I have to bring in when it gets cold, but I enjoy having them inside when it's all dead out there in winter.

I also have a veggie garden with raised beds. The climate here is sunny and more on the dry side except in fall and winter. I have drip irrigation in the raised beds. Every spring I get a pickup truck load of fresh compost and top the beds with it before planting.

I start planting in March or so, leafy veggies. Then the usual summer crops and then leafy veggies again. I have an arbor with grapes over the front gate - yum. And I have plums, apples and pears, strawberries and blueberries. I recently planted some Persimmons (both the astringent and the non astringent) and some gooseberries.
un warmed tomatoes and plums and, and... my version of paradise. Big Grin

What, all of that, and no cherries!? No Blackberries either? No Ha!, just kidding, you're my kind of lady. My wife and I don't have any plants that come in with us for the winter, I've never even considered it, but I guess I could. Consider Our We have apples, pears, and cherries. I have to sneak over to my great-grandmother's house (no longer living, but house in the family still) to get my blueberry fix. Maybe when I move to a permanent place in a few years. Anyhow, I gotta ask, are the persimmons for medicinal purposes? They make a good stop or go medicine depending on preparation, but good lord, as a kid I tasted the ones in our front yard....not an experience that I'd care to relive.