Dark Light's Veggie Growing Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2013, 12:51 PM
RE: Dark Light's Veggie Growing Thread
(08-06-2013 12:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  I grow a lot of herbs on my deck in pots, and the pots are on rollers, so it's easy to move them around. Some of them have been in the same pots for 5 years or so and have grown huge. I also have pots with annual herbs...

I also grow limes, lemons and mandarins in pots out there - these I have to bring in when it gets cold, but I enjoy having them inside when it's all dead out there in winter.

I also have a veggie garden with raised beds. The climate here is sunny and more on the dry side except in fall and winter. I have drip irrigation in the raised beds. Every spring I get a pickup truck load of fresh compost and top the beds with it before planting.

I start planting in March or so, leafy veggies. Then the usual summer crops and then leafy veggies again. I have an arbor with grapes over the front gate - yum. And I have plums, apples and pears, strawberries and blueberries. I recently planted some Persimmons (both the astringent and the non astringent) and some gooseberries.
un warmed tomatoes and plums and, and... my version of paradise. Big Grin

What, all of that, and no cherries!? No Blackberries either? No Ha!, just kidding, you're my kind of lady. My wife and I don't have any plants that come in with us for the winter, I've never even considered it, but I guess I could. Consider Our We have apples, pears, and cherries. I have to sneak over to my great-grandmother's house (no longer living, but house in the family still) to get my blueberry fix. Maybe when I move to a permanent place in a few years. Anyhow, I gotta ask, are the persimmons for medicinal purposes? They make a good stop or go medicine depending on preparation, but good lord, as a kid I tasted the ones in our front yard....not an experience that I'd care to relive.

Oh, I do have blackberries, I just forgot to list them. I tried cherries repeatedly but they all get diseased here. I gave up. Same for peaches.

You must have tasted an astringent Persimmon before it was ready to eat. Those have to get mushy before they are sweet. There are also non-astringent ones you can eat while still hard - but they are not as sweet as the astringent ones. Go get yourself an astringent Persimmon at the store next time you see one (the non astringent have flat bottoms and are usually smaller, the astringent ones have a point at the bottom) and let it sit until you think it's way over ripe. It should be quite mushy. Then eat - YUM!!!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
(08-06-2013 12:11 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 12:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have an apple-pear tree that I adore. The cherry tree is useless because the birds get the cherries. Undecided We have a plum tree that's got a ton of plums on it this year...

Hope the possum doesn't eat them all like last time.

We also have an apple tree that gives the most horrid apples.

We have two blueberry bushes, but...honestly they don't become very sweet anymore because of the lack of sunlight.

Veggies that are ok with little sun are

Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, and cress.
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Peas
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Radishes
Swiss Chard
Leafy Greens, such as collards, mustard greens, spinach, and kale
Beans

Cool...

I'd love to do some raised beds and grow lots of lettuces..chard and collards. I know husband would love Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower.

We don't have the space for a greenhouse...per se but we spend so much money on fresh veggies....

Might be worth the effort.

How deep should a raised bed be?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

08-06-2013, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 01:44 PM by Dom.)
I think at least a foot and a half, or as high as you like it. I have boards nailed across the top of them so I can sit down when messing around with the plants. Looks nice too.

You can grow a lot of lettuce and stuff in a very small greenhouse. You have shelves.... you can have several levels of short plants... and design it around what you want to grow.

You can also just install old windows on top of your raised beds and you can close them up or prop them open depending on the weather...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man