Dark Matter
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2012, 10:28 AM
RE: Dark Matter
(26-03-2012 10:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 09:52 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  In some ways, the explanation makes sense, but until you redefine time (and have a reason to do so), then there is no better explanation. Look at how science defines time, and you will understand why they can't go beyond the big bang.

"I think this view is incompatible with atheism." What did you mean by this? Atheists make no claim about how the universe works... or anything actually. Just that there is no belief in gods. Not sure how not knowing affects lack of belief... any more, I mean.
It is not because of the definition of time that they cannot go backwards to before the big bang. The reason is because the big bang changed everything. The current motion of energy and matter is because of the big bang. We cannot know what energy and matter was doing prior to that event.

I say it is incompatible because in my opinion one off events require something magical. If we consider existence to be a result of autonomous conditions, then you must posture that those conditions that created our big bang event are not unique.
In a way it would be like saying there is only one planet or only one star or only one solar system or only one galaxy or only on universe.
I am not postulating multidimensional parallel universes, just similar universes throughout the infinity of space.

Oop, yeah. Not sure how I was defining time. I think that was lack of sleep. Yeah, you are correct, they don't know, therefor can't attribute a time to anything before the big bang. I think it's more of like saying we don't know, rather than saying that there really was nothing.

"must" we say that? I think we simply don't know what we can say and can only go by given evidence. If we only knew of this planet, then it's not incorrect to say that there may not be more if there is no evidence suggesting. It's incorrect to say there are no other planets though. I'm not so sure they say that another event like that never happened before, I just don't think they can say that it did or didn't. That's probably why some hypotheses that postulate other universes are popular, but without evidence they don't mean much. It'll be interesting to see where the evidence leads. I would be nice to see a breakthrough in our lifetime, but hard to say if we will ever have one without something to suggest other universes or other ideas people have. I think that's why many had an instrumental position ("shut up and calculate") on quantum physics, because there was no telling where the data might lead (and still might lead). Currently, I think the many-worlds interpretation is leading, because it drives things forward and probably makes things easier, but it's possible that new data will overturn that and bring about something we didn't expect. In astronomy, it's a different ball game, but they exchange a lot of ideas with other fields to try and find out a way to measure or explain dark matter and energy in some way that they can test for. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2012, 02:32 PM
(27-03-2012 05:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  Once, I saw a documentary in the deepest mine on Earth, 2 scientists were trying to catch the Dark Matter particle, so they needed something with zero photons. They used old deepest mine they could find, set the equipment and waited. They have also speculated that the Dark Matter passes throu all other matter, that is why they were hoping to find it all the way down there. What happened, I completely forgoten, and I have no idea what was the name of the documentary.
You see how they think. They think of dark matter as some elusive and inert stuff from outer space and so they search for it in the emptiest possible places. If dark matter is involved with life, then living things are the best place to search.There are many anomalies in living beings and nature, particularly humans, we might be the area where the dark matter interacts the most of all places.
For example, I already spoke of orgone accumulator, it's physical anomalies, it's effects on people and plants, and electric field method of measuring something that might be a dark matter counterpart of life, dependent on vitality.

(27-03-2012 09:34 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  There is still a lot to be understood about the nature of plasma and magnetism in space. I'm not sure if it's fully accounted for in most of theoretical physics? All this dark stiff could simply be plasma. It might be that an electrical engineer may know more about the universe than someone who studies the mathematical complexities of gravity.
Well, it is probably plasma either way. I heard 99% of our normal matter is plasma too. Suns and ionized clouds and filaments are the majority of material things out there. These planets and moons we're so fond of, that's more like an anomaly. I'd bet that dark matter should contain just as much plasma, if not more.

However, dark matter is not just plasma, it's plasma of atoms made of supersymmetric particles. They may interact weakly with us, but among themselves they might interact quite normally, even forming "solid" objects. That is another thing which the "distant elusive dark stuff in space" theory doesn't speak about.
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Video released today about DM:

Quote:Uploaded by NASAexplorer on Apr 2, 2012
There's more to the cosmos than meets the eye. About 80 percent of the matter in the universe is invisible to telescopes, yet its gravitational influence is manifest in the orbital speeds of stars around galaxies and in the motions of clusters of galaxies. Yet, despite decades of effort, no one knows what this "dark matter" really is. Many scientists think it's likely that the mystery will be solved with the discovery of new kinds of subatomic particles, types necessarily different from those composing atoms of the ordinary matter all around us. The search to detect and identify these particles is underway in experiments both around the globe and above it.

Scientists working with data from NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope have looked for signals from some of these hypothetical particles by zeroing in on 10 small, faint galaxies that orbit our own. Although no signals have been detected, a novel analysis technique applied to two years of data from the observatory's Large Area Telescope (LAT) has essentially eliminated these particle candidates for the first time.

WIMPs, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, represent a favored class of dark matter candidates. Some WIMPs may mutually annihilate when pairs of them interact, a process expected to produce gamma rays -- the most energetic form of light -- that the LAT is designed to detect.

The team examined two years of LAT-detected gamma rays with energies in the range from 200 million to 100 billion electron volts (GeV) from 10 of the roughly two dozen dwarf galaxies known to orbit the Milky Way. Instead of analyzing the results for each galaxy separately, the scientists developed a statistical technique -- they call it a "joint likelihood analysis" -- that evaluates all of the galaxies at once without merging the data together. No gamma-ray signal consistent with the annihilations expected from four different types of commonly considered WIMP particles was found.

For the first time, the results show that WIMP candidates within a specific range of masses and interaction rates cannot be dark matter. A paper detailing these results appeared in the Dec. 9, 2011, issue of Physical Review Letters.

Learn more at: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/...ights.html

This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a01...index.html

Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:

Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:

Or find us on Twitter:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post