Dark ages death toll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Dark ages death toll
Hi guys.

So I'm trying to estimate what the actual death toll of the christian dark ages. For all of the scientific progress and medical advancements that were held back, including of course, all of the torture and murder!

I've come to the conclusion that the death toll is without a doubt the greatest tragedy in human history! I've estimated that over 100 BILLION people lost their lives as a direct result of the dark ages.

I would love to hear your input.

Joe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 02:16 PM
RE: Dark ages death toll
I'm guessing that you got your "100 Billion" number by taking the population growth that has occurred since, say, 1800 AD, and extrapolating what would have happened had that explosive growth started in 400 AD instead. That's a rather naive way of looking at it, and rather a specious definition of "people [who] lost their lives".

You have to define what you mean by one "death" for this question to have any meaning.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
14-05-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 02:46 PM by Chas.)
(14-05-2013 01:50 PM)Joebennett Wrote:  Hi guys.

So I'm trying to estimate what the actual death toll of the christian dark ages. For all of the scientific progress and medical advancements that were held back, including of course, all of the torture and murder!

I've come to the conclusion that the death toll is without a doubt the greatest tragedy in human history! I've estimated that over 100 BILLION people lost their lives as a direct result of the dark ages.

Joe

I suspect your estimate is two orders of magnitude too large.

Nah, after some back-of-the-envelope calculation, it may be only somewhat high, maybe one order of magnitude.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Well since today there are nowhere near 100 billion people alive today, perhaps you should post your methodology for arriving at the figure, and it can be "adjusted".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Joe

You need to define the dates of the period you term the "christian dark ages", and the geographical area.

Also, do you mean all deaths? Natural causes, too?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2013, 02:40 PM
(14-05-2013 02:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Joe

You need to define the dates of the period you term the "christian dark ages", and the geographical area.

Also, do you mean all deaths? Natural causes, too?

If we are counting natural deaths as well then the answer would be all of them. In any case the actual number of deaths is far more pedestrian as disease and lack of medical knowledge killed far more people than all the wars ever fought combined. For instance the Salem witch trials despite being the largest scare ever in America only numbered 24 people if you count the 5 who died in prison. More people are killed every year by falling.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I simply extrapolated from population growth and, more importantly, I estimated the number of lives that would have been saved through medical advancements. Antibiotics, for example.
14-05-2013, 03:08 PM
(14-05-2013 03:04 PM)Joebennett Wrote:  I simply extrapolated from population growth and, more importantly, I estimated the number of lives that would have been saved through medical advancements. Antibiotics, for example.

So, a bit of a stab in the dark then? Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Well considering the decrease in death rate over the last 200 years with all of our medical advances I would say that over 1500 years medicine could have easily saved hundreds of billions. It has already saved tens of billions in the 200 years that it has been around!
14-05-2013, 03:36 PM
(14-05-2013 03:22 PM)Joebennett Wrote:  Well considering the decrease in death rate over the last 200 years with all of our medical advances I would say that over 1500 years medicine could have easily saved hundreds of billions. It has already saved tens of billions in the 200 years that it has been around!

Well since you are basing this off Antibiotics that is kind of a huge leap. They were only discovered at random by 1 person ever. What about the rest of the world that had never heard the term Christian such as China (a far more advanced society at the time) they never discovered modern medicine.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense