Darwin Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Darwin Day
Sorry I haven't been around much - I've had some computer network problems at home and work has been busier than normal with the Egypt crisis! Yeah Egypt by the way!

Had some free moments this morning to cobble my latest together and in honor of Darwin's birthday tomorrow, I offer this:

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/02/darwin-day.html

Thanks for reading and hope to spend more time here in the coming days Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
RE: Darwin Day
''in honor of Darwin's birthday''?
Why does it seem a little weird to me to have a ''Darwin day''? Are there any other scientists who has his/her own day? Darwin made a big discovery, but he was just a man. It seems weird to celebrate his birthday. It seems a little weird to place him on a pedestral, the guy's dead.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2011, 12:30 PM
So is Washington, Martin Luther King, Lincoln, and a host of others...it's the government, we love to create days to honor people. I think Stark was simply looking for a little "equal" time to counter the "in God We Trust" legislation. For that, I'm behind him Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Darwin day. Definitely YES. Science day, Definitely YES. Reality day, Definitely YES.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Call me on Stephen Hawking day Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
I want a Carl Sagan day! On that day we can read "the pail blue dot" and have tears in our eyes without being laughed upon. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I guess since I'm the one who bitches about having to clean up the forums, I better practise what I preach huh? LOL

I'll delete the "casual coffee house" thread I started, and just say Happy Darwin Day here. My point was, It's "casual" since I don't take it very seriously. Nor do I take many other "holidays" seriously. If you have something to celebrate, celebrate it every day!! I celebrate Darwins work, since it brought us knowledge. So today I'll make it a point to be thankful for everyone who furthered our knowledge with great minds and hard work.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
12-02-2011, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 05:12 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Would've been a bit more entertaining as Free Thought Day, or Create a Scientific Theory Day. Maybe we should consider Darwin Day, Create a Scientific Theory Day best way to honor a scientist is to further science.

While Darwin is not specifically tied to anything American, I don't see anything wrong with celebrating him. But yeah, celebrating a man for coming up with a scientific discovery seems a bit weird since people already learn about him in science class in enough schools. Perhaps the idea is so schools that wouldn't normally focus on him take a day to?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
(12-02-2011 05:09 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  But yeah, celebrating a man for coming up with a scientific discovery seems a bit weird since people already learn about him in science class in enough schools.

Darwin is not learned about in enough schools. (See Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Iran etc.)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
(12-02-2011 06:24 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(12-02-2011 05:09 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  But yeah, celebrating a man for coming up with a scientific discovery seems a bit weird since people already learn about him in science class in enough schools.

Darwin is not learned about in enough schools. (See Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Iran etc.)

Or Tennessee.

I did not see this topic first - I made a similar one in the Science forum, in which I describe the precise circumstances which led to me not learning a damn thing about the theory of evolution until I went looking for myself. That includes making it through high school (both private Christian and public) and community college.

No, it is most definitely not taught enough in schools.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.