Darwin is dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Darwin is dying
Yes, we're the sort of people who would name our beagle Darwin.

He has been a little off this past week, but we cam home from the movie Wednesday night and he was very lethargic and obviously sick. I took him to the vet yesterday morning. He's anemic due to a large tumour in his abdomen. He doesn't appear to be in pain yet, but it is only a matter of time now before we have to do the only thing that we can for him.

As much as his death is tearing me up I think that the way that he's going hurts worse. He doesn't have the energy for a last walk. No last outing to smell the scentery. No final chase after bunnies in the woods. We are pampering him with all of his favorite foods and letting him up on the bed to be with his pack. It's all that we can do as his life draws to a close.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-02-2018, 03:41 PM
RE: Darwin is dying
Hug

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
23-02-2018, 03:46 PM
(23-02-2018 03:22 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Yes, we're the sort of people who would name our beagle Darwin.

He has been a little off this past week, but we cam home from the movie Wednesday night and he was very lethargic and obviously sick. I took him to the vet yesterday morning. He's anemic due to a large tumour in his abdomen. He doesn't appear to be in pain yet, but it is only a matter of time now before we have to do the only thing that we can for him.

As much as his death is tearing me up I think that the way that he's going hurts worse. He doesn't have the energy for a last walk. No last outing to smell the scentery. No final chase after bunnies in the woods. We are pampering him with all of his favorite foods and letting him up on the bed to be with his pack. It's all that we can do as his life draws to a close.

Anemia leaves you totally without energy, but not without perception and appreciation of things. (I've been there). Energy only becomes available in small spurts.

He may not chase bunnies in the woods, but if you can get him where he can sit under a tree with you, he will appreciate it. If he is small enough, you can carry him.

It's not a bad death, anemia. You just get more and more tired til you get to sleep.

But if he has a big tumor, it may be causing pain, if not now, whenever it starts pressing on things.

Sorry you have to go through this, I've been there and it's always hard.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-02-2018, 03:47 PM
*hugs* to you and your pack. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-02-2018, 03:59 PM
IF he likes a car ride take him for a ride. Prop him up by the passenger window or on a lap, turn the heater on high, open the window and let him smell the smells. A dog lives by his nose.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
23-02-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry. I know how much it sucks to lose a pet and/or to make the decision to let them go.

Hugs to you and an ear rub to Darwin.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that, and I hope you have some good times with Darwin before you have to say goodbye.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks everybody.

It's a good thought Dom and if it were summer we'd be out there now. Sadly, daytime temperatures are rarely above freezing right now and his favorite lounging tree is 5 feet deep in a snow bank.

He doesn't appear to be in pain at the moment. The vet gave him a thorough abdominal exam before discovering the tumour and he didn't give any indication of distress. He's a very gentle dog but isn't shy about letting us know if we've prodded something tender. I doubt that will change much in what little time is left.

He isn't fond of the car SkyKing, but does love the smells, so it'll be a toss-up. Living by their noses is even more true of beagles than it is of most dogs.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
23-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Sad I am so sorry. (((hugs)))

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
23-02-2018, 05:17 PM
well it was a thought Smile hugs man. Something got in my eye while I was typing that.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post