Darwin is dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2018, 04:55 PM
RE: Darwin is dying
It's been a good day. On Friday we didn't expect him to survive the weekend, but courtesy of the healing power of salmon and raw beef liver Darwin has made a rebound. He isn't 100% but he is better. We know that this won't last long, but it may give us the chance for a last good walk in the woods.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-02-2018, 05:08 PM
That's great! I suggest you stay upwind on that walk Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
26-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Take lots of photos.

Feed him everything he likes and lots of it!

My heart goes out to you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
27-02-2018, 05:36 PM
More good news. Follow-up blood work shows juvenile red blood cells, which suggests that the anemia is responsive rather than regenerative. If there's internal bleeding from the tumour and you run the blood tests too soon then the bone marrow hasn't had time to release new red blood cells. Those are showing up now, so it looks like the problem isn't the bone marrow.

The tumour appears to be attached to his spleen. On the down side, that rules out a biopsy, because spleen tumours have an ugly habit of bleeding. On the up side, puppy can live without his spleen. We're now looking at surgical options that have a ~50% chance of giving him a few more years of normal life.

(26-02-2018 05:08 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's great! I suggest you stay upwind on that walk Big Grin

This one we already know. Even when healthy I can't blame my farts on him. I can't make a smell that horrific.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-02-2018, 07:09 PM
(27-02-2018 05:36 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  More good news. Follow-up blood work shows juvenile red blood cells, which suggests that the anemia is responsive rather than regenerative. If there's internal bleeding from the tumour and you run the blood tests too soon then the bone marrow hasn't had time to release new red blood cells. Those are showing up now, so it looks like the problem isn't the bone marrow.

The tumour appears to be attached to his spleen. On the down side, that rules out a biopsy, because spleen tumours have an ugly habit of bleeding. On the up side, puppy can live without his spleen. We're now looking at surgical options that have a ~50% chance of giving him a few more years of normal life.

(26-02-2018 05:08 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's great! I suggest you stay upwind on that walk Big Grin

This one we already know. Even when healthy I can't blame my farts on him. I can't make a smell that horrific.

Clap
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
27-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Yay for Darwin! Hug

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
01-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Darwin is out of surgery and awake. The vet says that it went very well all things considered. No obvious signs of metastases and no transfusion necessary. He was 57 pounds when we checked him in this morning and they weighed his spleen at just over 5 pounds, most of it tumour!

---
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
01-03-2018, 05:24 PM
(01-03-2018 04:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Darwin is out of surgery and awake. The vet says that it went very well all things considered. No obvious signs of metastases and no transfusion necessary. He was 57 pounds when we checked him in this morning and they weighed his spleen at just over 5 pounds, most of it tumour!

I hope he has a speedy recovery!!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post