Darwin's Doubt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Darwin's Doubt
I came across this book the other day
[Image: %7B954CF800-E453-4D79-8CE5-AB839C729AE1%7DImg400.jpg]

The picture of the trilobite drew me in. The subtitle ("The explosive origin of animal life and the case for intelligent design") made me sad. The first reviewer on the back, made me laugh. The reviewer was Mark McMenamin. Some of you may remember me giving some info about this guy once before, but let me recap his credentials.

He has given talks and published papers on the following.
-Canabalistic behavior of agnostid trilobites (evidence was slabs of shale with agnostid trilobites on them, and some were close together and one or two instances of one on top of another)
-A giant kraken during the Mesozoic that killed Giant Icythyosaurs and arranged their bones into self-portraits (evidence was masses of the bones in a single deposit and NO self-portraits)
-Evidence for alien visitations during Earth's history (evidence, some sort of round shape in rocks he keeps seeing)
-Mind-control in the rock record between 2 worms (evidence was a misinterpretation of a previously explained series of scours on a bedding plane, that aren't even fossils)

Take home point, this is not the guy you want endorsing your creatard crap.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
RE: Darwin's Doubt
I've seen the book before too. They are pushing it hard on the Discovery Institute website.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
(02-08-2013 01:52 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've seen the book before too. They are pushing it hard on the Discovery Institute website.

I giggle a little at it, then I think about how easy it is for someone to simply see this kind of BS in print and immediately assume its true. Then I get depressed. Sadcryface2

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Far be it for me to advocate book-burning, but...

If you happened to - come across, a copy; if you happened to need to dispose of it...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
I must admit to being genuinely interested in reading it. I'm not going to give them my money for it, but I would be fascinated to take it apart piece by piece.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
What's with the creationist obsession with Darwin? It seems like they believe that discrediting him somehow debunks the theory of evolution. Whatever Darwin did or said or believed is irrelevant. If the most stupid hypocritical asshat came up with the theory of evolution by natural selection, it wouldn't make it any less true.

Honestly, it has been 130 years and they're still attempting character assassination on a regular basis.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
(02-08-2013 01:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I must admit to being genuinely interested in reading it. I'm not going to give them my money for it, but I would be fascinated to take it apart piece by piece.

This exactly! I'll just patiently wait for a "family" member to anonymously send it to me. Then maybe I'll just mail it to you.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
(02-08-2013 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 01:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I must admit to being genuinely interested in reading it. I'm not going to give them my money for it, but I would be fascinated to take it apart piece by piece.

This exactly! I'll just patiently wait for a "family" member to anonymously send it to me. Then maybe I'll just mail it to you.

I'd like one, too, if you get multiple copies. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
(02-08-2013 01:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Far be it for me to advocate book-burning, but...

If you happened to - come across, a copy; if you happened to need to dispose of it...

Not wanting to go into a diatribe about how idiotic, and cowardly book burners are...

The proper response is to 1. get (never pay for) a copy. 2. quote all the idiotic or dangerous parts of the book. Show people why the book is awful.
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Darwin was a creationist.

Quote:To my mind it accords better with what we know of the laws impressed on matter by the Creator, that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual.

Chapter 14 of Origin of Species

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin...f-species/