Darwin's wedge and the illogic of free market competition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Darwin's wedge and the illogic of free market competition
An brief article on how competition does not inherently breed efficiency, with an example from Richard Dawkins.

http://bigthink.com/errors-we-live-by/ho...1463588240

Competition breeds more competition, which does not necessarily mean better efficiency. Even within our sports where competition is the whole point, efficiency isn't the primary goal. Winning is. And that is a component of why letting the free market use blind competition as a way of increasing "efficiency" isn't really doing that, but it is increasing competition.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 11:00 AM
RE: Darwin's wedge and the illogic of free market competition
I'm only commenting because I'm on my way out the door and want to come back to read the article.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-05-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: Darwin's wedge and the illogic of free market competition
Good article. The peculiarities of the US Healthcare market bring this subject into sharp focus. Nowhere else in the world spends more on healthcare but sees so little benefit.

The vast majority of developed economies have social healthcare which reduces costs and produces better health outcomes and lifespans. All because competition is moderated through the social healthcare frameworks.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post