Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 04:25 AM
Dat Noah Flood
My dad, who's a christian, were in the scientific mood yesterday and we talked about the flood.

Some time during the convo, I ask him
"How much would it have to rain every day for a month (that's how long it poured down for, right?) in order to cover even the highest mountains (which we both seem to remember the bible claiming)?"

He started doing the math, and the result was that it would have to rain so much that the waterlevel/height would have to in increase by about 140 meters every day.
Something which made me giggle like a girl.

Even he looked baffled by the thought of that.
But, he ended up defending it with "Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

The math might ofcourse be wrong for all I know, but..

But, if it rained that much...

Would it be safe to go outside?
Would people drown from the downpour alone in such a case?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 06:27 AM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(17-02-2015 04:25 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  My dad, who's a christian, were in the scientific mood yesterday and we talked about the flood.

Some time during the convo, I ask him
"How much would it have to rain every day for a month (that's how long it poured down for, right?) in order to cover even the highest mountains (which we both seem to remember the bible claiming)?"

He started doing the math, and the result was that it would have to rain so much that the waterlevel/height would have to in increase by about 140 meters every day.
Something which made me giggle like a girl.

Even he looked baffled by the thought of that.
But, he ended up defending it with "Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

The math might ofcourse be wrong for all I know, but..

But, if it rained that much...

Would it be safe to go outside?
Would people drown from the downpour alone in such a case?

Nice work Thumbsup

This is one of the easiest myths to discredit, we have quite a few threads about it.
GwoG’s post #36 does a great job of debunking http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ead?page=4

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-02-2015, 06:48 AM
It's crazy figuring out the evaporation rates too. You would have to suspend any rain for 100 years and increase the average temperature of the Earth to 128 degrees Fahrenheit during this time to have enough in the atmosphere to supply this deluge. The Earth's atmosphere becomes un-breathable long before the first raindrop falls.

The physics of the atmosphere completely break down and the Earth is sterilized of life long before Gilgamesh/Noah can get the first penguins on his boat.

Solar energy needed to initiate the Noahtic flood- wouldn't we fry?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-02-2015, 07:10 AM
So did a bit of googling.
140 meters a day for 40 days you say?

The most rain ever recorder in an entire year was 26.5meters (remember, that's over the whole year).
And the most ever reordered in a day was 1.82 meters.

Even if we take the most recorded in a minute (1.5inches) and extend that out for an entire day you only get 54.86 meters, which isn't even half. And note that that was during a hurricane...
So take rainfall at the most intense point of a hurricane, triple it and that would be about 140 meters. And that would need to be global and last for 40 days.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Noah's boat would just flood (from the rainfall hitting the deck/getting into cracks (because technology wasn't the best back than let's be honest )) and sink.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
17-02-2015, 07:15 AM
thats 5.8meters of rain each hour, the water would level would be high enough in 30mins to submerge the entire ground floor of every house unless there were floating houses
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
17-02-2015, 10:55 AM
As full circle suggested, please click the link FC provided and it takes you straight to my evisceration of the myth, and it talks about the very point you bring up as well. Thumbsup

Thanks FC

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-02-2015, 11:15 AM
The Earth is a closed system.
The evaporation rate would need to be so high that the rain could never accumulate past a certain level.
17-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Assumptions here, however, include:

*Mountains were at present height before this enormous catastrophe - the Bible elsewhere speaks of mountains raised and removed, you are thinking in a uniformitarian vein

*The oceans and sea basins were also in present dispositions

*The sole water came from rain rather than a cataclysmic release of underground reservoirs and/or cosmic changes in the atmosphere

*Etc.

Remember the Bible describes a powerful shaking of the Earth. Fly Venus close by to Mars and you'll see immense changes in the topography and perhaps even the rotation of Mars.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2015, 12:47 PM
(17-02-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Assumptions here, however, include:

*Mountains were at present height before this enormous catastrophe - the Bible elsewhere speaks of mountains raised and removed, you are thinking in a uniformitarian vein

Remember the Bible describes a powerful shaking of the Earth. Fly Venus close by to Mars and you'll see immense changes in the topography and perhaps even the rotation of Mars.

The "assumptions" are actually not assumptions, they are based in facts about the geologic record. There is no evidence that another planet nearly collided into earth in the year 2349 BCE. There is no evidence that mount Everest was at significantly different height in the year 2349 BCE (that is really the only one that counts into making a water level calculation). There is no evidence that sea basins were significantly different.
[+] 10 users Like Iñigo's post
17-02-2015, 01:02 PM
(17-02-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Assumptions here, however, include:

*The sole water came from rain rather than a cataclysmic release of underground reservoirs and/or cosmic changes in the atmosphere

*Etc.

I won't bother educating you on this, feel free to click the link as well.

Easiest way to completely disprove the 2349 BCE global flood myth is to point to greenland. It wouldn't exist if the world had flooded. it is made up of 85% ice, and would have snapped off of its foundation and melted away, never to return. Weather conditions haven't existed in the last 10k years to allow the creation of greenland and ice core samples in greenland show no evidence of flood, and they go back many many years past the global flood myth. I thought you were intelligent enough to know the OT is a parable Q, very disappointed. I thought better of you...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post