Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(03-03-2015 02:32 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  We're not talking about a small amount of water, like a river that carves a path over millions of years. We're talking about a massive catastrophe including a shaking of the Earth on its axis.

It sounds a little patronizing when Chas and et all say so stridently that the data supports ice ages rather than flooding. Sure, if we ignore the fact that AFTER the Noahic flood that were great epochs of settling, resettling, shifting... it's also ridiculous since Chas and others make it sound like they are skilled geologists or ice age experts. I can discuss these things from a lay perspective also, yes, however, I'm again asking for a DISCUSSION, not a drive-by shooting.

As for TheInquisition, whom I expected, Wink, I'm not promulgating a "global shaking fantasy" created by the apologists. The Bible says the Earth shook. This isn't a part of some kind of ICR theory or something...

...What should I expect? To argue the Flood with people who know so little of the Bible while pretending to be experts in both ice age and flood dynamics... I've already admitted that the evidence of science sure looks like ice covered most of the Earth. I'm also willing to look at the same data and see where Flood dynamics can account for some anomalies in the data. If you at TTA were in any way sincere, or interested (and in self-preservation, since belief in the Flood could prompt saving belief in Jesus Christ) you'd have already asked me fifteen times in this thread for my evidence for the Flood and extrapolations of the evidence in geology, etc. but you're not really interested, are you?

The Bible is the claim, not the evidence. The evidence is in the geology and you keep ignoring actual geological evidence. Ice ages are not floods.

You are not interested in a useful, truthful discussion, so quit acting butt hurt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2015, 09:14 AM
(03-03-2015 02:32 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  We're not talking about a small amount of water, like a river that carves a path over millions of years. We're talking about a massive catastrophe including a shaking of the Earth on its axis.

It sounds a little patronizing when Chas and et all say so stridently that the data supports ice ages rather than flooding. Sure, if we ignore the fact that AFTER the Noahic flood that were great epochs of settling, resettling, shifting...

Since when do we have to filter all of the facts and evidence through the lens of bronze-age myths? Do we need to reevaluate everything we know about aerodynamics, kinetic energy, and elasticity of materials based on Odysseus shooting an arrow through twelve axes? Because arrows totally don't fly straight, and that wouldn't happen, even with exceptional skill or luck.

Sometimes, a story is just a story, and we can discount it in light of the facts.

Straight as an arrow?
[Image: 361688_v1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-03-2015, 09:52 AM
(02-03-2015 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 03:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It sounds like you are unaware of theories about the poles. Animals stand erect now, frozen, chewing food, even mating.

Citation required.

Quote:However, discussing the polar ice caps, which scientists say existed prior to as well as after the ice ages, has only a tangential relationship to my point--that the geologic evidence for slow-moving ice sheets is pretty much the same evidence that can be used to talk about a flood(s) and receding water, silt, etc.

Citation required.

Quote:We have a common ground to discuss but I don't feel regarding this particular thread that TTA cares to discuss any facts.

The only one without facts is you.

Proof for you Chas.

[Image: th?id=HN.608003688391509725&pid=...mp;amp;P=0]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
04-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Three issues I see in recent posts:

1. Dating the flood again as in "where are the trees that would have all died 10,000 years ago..." since there is no date for the Flood.

2. Speaking of the ice age(s) as if there are no anomalies unexplained by the theory of the ice age, as if the scientists agree on the extent, duration and even number of ice ages in the past. The ice age isn't Evolution, which is scientific fact. The ice ages are a theory in flux. And if you are at all interested in the holes, gaps and anomalies of the theories, we might discuss them reasonably.

3. Really uniformed statements like the Bible has nothing of worth to contribute to this or other discussions. The Bible contains a story of a giant cataclysm caused by water, which also included global geographic upheaval, and then more upheavals as the water and things moved by the water from fossils to mountains subsided.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-03-2015, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 01:59 PM by TheInquisition.)
(04-03-2015 01:15 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Three issues I see in recent posts:

1. Dating the flood again as in "where are the trees that would have all died 10,000 years ago..." since there is no date for the Flood.

2. Speaking of the ice age(s) as if there are no anomalies unexplained by the theory of the ice age, as if the scientists agree on the extent, duration and even number of ice ages in the past. The ice age isn't Evolution, which is scientific fact. The ice ages are a theory in flux. And if you are at all interested in the holes, gaps and anomalies of the theories, we might discuss them reasonably.

3. Really uniformed statements like the Bible has nothing of worth to contribute to this or other discussions. The Bible contains a story of a giant cataclysm caused by water, which also included global geographic upheaval, and then more upheavals as the water and things moved by the water from fossils to mountains subsided.
Complete and willful ignorance, along with a heaping spoonful of cognitive dissonance, I don't think any of us here are surprised by this.
It has been explained to you at least three times in this thread how the ice cores would have CLEARLY revealed evidence for this "upheaval" your silly myth talks about. Just stick your fingers in your ears and go NA-NA-NA-NA-NA!

[Image: 28-fingers-in-ears.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
(04-03-2015 01:27 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 01:15 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Three issues I see in recent posts:

Complete and willful ignorance, along with a heaping spoonful of cognitive dissonance, I don't think any of us here are surprised by this.
It has been explained to you at least three times in this thread how the ice cores would have CLEARLY revealed evidence for this "upheaval" your silly myth talks about. Just stick your fingers in your ears and go NA-NA-NA-NA-NA!

Would you mind explaining your last sentence? Are you saying the ice cores for the last several hundred thousand years lack evidence of upheavals? Because there are other indicators and anomalies that large geographic features were changed dramatically, recently...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
(20-02-2015 08:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Since god is imaginary, it would stand to reason that it was an imaginary flood. That's why there is no real evidence of a global flood.

Right no real evidence only the accounts of every single culture ever and yeah god doesn't exist there is no chance of that at all the seas and trees and everything are just happen stance.
04-03-2015, 03:47 PM
(04-03-2015 03:23 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  Right no real evidence only the accounts of every single culture ever

Floods are common occurrences and often devastating; it would be expected that there would be stories from all over. Note that they don't coincide in the details, as would also be expected. Had there been a world-wide flood there would be evidence for that. There isn't.

Quote:and yeah god doesn't exist there is no chance of that at all the seas and trees and everything are just happen stance.

Ignorance is not a good foundation for a worldview.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-03-2015, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 03:58 PM by TheInquisition.)
(04-03-2015 02:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 01:27 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Complete and willful ignorance, along with a heaping spoonful of cognitive dissonance, I don't think any of us here are surprised by this.

Would you mind explaining your last sentence? Are you saying the ice cores for the last several hundred thousand years lack evidence of upheavals? Because there are other indicators and anomalies that large geographic features were changed dramatically, recently...

Precipitation rates, you know, rain, snow? As goodwithoutgod has already explained to you, Greenland wouldn't even exist if this fantasy occurred.

The chart shows no more than .25 meter accumulation per year for the last 20,000 years. Show me the flood in that.
I will explain this to you again, a world wide flood would have broken up the ice caps, it wouldn't even be possible to get measurements past the date of the flood if it happened. At the very least, there would have been a layer of sediment that would show up in the ice cores.

[Image: alley2000.gif]

Which large geographic features were changed? Where is your proof?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-03-2015, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 04:17 PM by goodwithoutgod.)

Q, you already made that baseless assertion previously in this thread, and I answered it here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid740496

(04-03-2015 01:15 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3. Really uniformed statements like the Bible has nothing of worth to contribute to this or other discussions. .........The Bible contains a story of a giant cataclysm caused by water, which also included global geographic upheaval, and then more upheavals as the water and things moved by the water from fossils to mountains subsided.

Really uninformed statements like the bible has something of worth to contribute to this or other discussions.....FIXED Smile

Bible contains lots of stories, in fact, it is largely one big whopper of a story...the king dingaling of parables. Global flood as per the bible didn't happen.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post