Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
I'm all about that burning bush, and if necessary parting that red sea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 01:54 PM
(17-02-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Assumptions here, however, include:

*Mountains were at present height before this enormous catastrophe - the Bible elsewhere speaks of mountains raised and removed, you are thinking in a uniformitarian vein

*The oceans and sea basins were also in present dispositions

*The sole water came from rain rather than a cataclysmic release of underground reservoirs and/or cosmic changes in the atmosphere

*Etc.

Remember the Bible describes a powerful shaking of the Earth. Fly Venus close by to Mars and you'll see immense changes in the topography and perhaps even the rotation of Mars.

You're embarrassing yourself...
[+] 8 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
17-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm not defending the flood story or anything. However, every time I've questioned it with my Dad, he always brings up that the Bible says the waters came up from under the earth in addition to the rain, and that we don't know what pre-flood conditions would have been like. Still, the entire story is completely preposterous.
17-02-2015, 02:46 PM
(17-02-2015 02:38 PM)Hurley4815 Wrote:  I'm not defending the flood story or anything. However, every time I've questioned it with my Dad, he always brings up that the Bible says the waters came up from under the earth in addition to the rain, and that we don't know what pre-flood conditions would have been like. Still, the entire story is completely preposterous.

That is a popular assertion...sadly the evidence in the real world suggests otherwise.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
17-02-2015, 05:08 PM
(17-02-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Assumptions here, however, include:

*Mountains were at present height before this enormous catastrophe - the Bible elsewhere speaks of mountains raised and removed, you are thinking in a uniformitarian vein
If Mt Everest (the highest mountain needed to be covered for the flood waters to cover the entire Earth) wasn't at its present height, the amount of energy needed to force it up in the instant amount of time the 'flood' occurred would have been enough energy to liquefy Earth's crust.

You can't just push a mountain up in 40 days....

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
19-02-2015, 03:03 PM
85% ice you say? Hmmmmm... now ice covered the world, yes? You do accept the evidence for that--or at least that it covered most of the temperate zones, and multiple times? Now... if only scientists knew what ice was composed of--then we might have something there...

Oh wait! HOLD ON! I forgot that you accept on its face catastrophism for great extinctions but not a flood. Let's see, for one example (some of you will of course disagree as soon as I mention it--but...) a giant meteor struck the Earth and caused extinctions. It couldn't have caused any geological faults, changes in elevation to mountains worldwide, nothing of that nature, of course... because we are certain that Everest has never changed elevation, ever. Hmmmm... that's not what I heard from scientists, ever.

SCIENTISTS DISPROVE NOAH'S FLOOD BY PROVING THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WATER IN THE OCEANS NOW TO HAVE BEEN THERE THEN

...Sounds lovely to you but excludes catastrophism and adheres to a uniformitarian confirmatory bias. Now, I believe in Evolution. Do you think Evolution happened under our current atmosphere and mountain ranges and so on billions of years ago? No way. There 'be volcanoes and explosions, me hearties. Yarrrr.... your good Pirates of the Caribbean be sailing atop seas of fire back then, yarrrr...

The Bible explains that in the end of days scoffers will stick to uniformitarian ideals and forget the catastrophes on Earth in the days of Noah. Be careful!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2015, 03:17 PM
(19-02-2015 03:03 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  85% ice you say? Hmmmmm... now ice covered the world, yes? You do accept the evidence for that--or at least that it covered most of the temperate zones, and multiple times? Now... if only scientists knew what ice was composed of--then we might have something there...

Oh wait! HOLD ON! I forgot that you accept on its face catastrophism for great extinctions but not a flood. Let's see, for one example (some of you will of course disagree as soon as I mention it--but...) a giant meteor struck the Earth and caused extinctions. It couldn't have caused any geological faults, changes in elevation to mountains worldwide, nothing of that nature, of course... because we are certain that Everest has never changed elevation, ever. Hmmmm... that's not what I heard from scientists, ever.

SCIENTISTS DISPROVE NOAH'S FLOOD BY PROVING THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WATER IN THE OCEANS NOW TO HAVE BEEN THERE THEN

...Sounds lovely to you but excludes catastrophism and adheres to a uniformitarian confirmatory bias. Now, I believe in Evolution. Do you think Evolution happened under our current atmosphere and mountain ranges and so on billions of years ago? No way. There 'be volcanoes and explosions, me hearties. Yarrrr.... your good Pirates of the Caribbean be sailing atop seas of fire back then, yarrrr...

The Bible explains that in the end of days scoffers will stick to uniformitarian ideals and forget the catastrophes on Earth in the days of Noah. Be careful!

Last thing you want to do is debate me on the flood Q.

2349 BCE is the purported date of the flood, that is 4k years ago, weather conditions haven't existed in the last 10k years to create Greenland, and if Greenland had existed pre-mythical flood, it would have been destroyed, never to return...oddly, that didn't happen...neither do the ice layer sampling which go back thousands of years show any sediment, or flood evidence...gee that's odd Consider perhaps the global flood didn't happen...perhaps it is based off of older Sumerian legends like most of the OT....Consider Becareful Q, you are getting into the deep end of the pool, stick with what you know... Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-02-2015, 03:37 PM
(19-02-2015 03:03 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  85% ice you say? Hmmmmm... now ice covered the world, yes? You do accept the evidence for that--or at least that it covered most of the temperate zones, and multiple times? Now... if only scientists knew what ice was composed of--then we might have something there...

"B..b..but you evolutionists say there have been big geological events before, too! So why can't there have been one in a magnitudes-shorter time frame that occurred within written history? Checkmate, atheists!"

I find it very hard to believe you're not taking the piss, friendo.

But just in case, here's a hint for you: actual events leave actual evidence. Myths do not.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
19-02-2015, 04:49 PM

Uniformitarian? Straw man.

The ice sheets were 2 - 2.5 miles thick, not enough to cover the high mountains of the Rockies, let alone the Himalayas or Andes. And that lowered the sea levels hundreds of feet.

Your blindness and ignorance are simply astounding.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-02-2015, 07:22 PM
(19-02-2015 03:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

Last thing you want to do is debate me on the flood Q.

2349 BCE is the purported date of the flood, that is 4k years ago, weather conditions haven't existed in the last 10k years to create Greenland, and if Greenland had existed pre-mythical flood, it would have been destroyed, never to return...oddly, that didn't happen...neither do the ice layer sampling which go back thousands of years show any sediment, or flood evidence...gee that's odd Consider perhaps the global flood didn't happen...perhaps it is based off of older Sumerian legends like most of the OT....Consider Becareful Q, you are getting into the deep end of the pool, stick with what you know... Big Grin

I'll throw him a lifesaver if he does- made of lead! Yes

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post