Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2015, 10:38 AM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(17-02-2015 04:25 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  My dad, who's a christian, were in the scientific mood yesterday and we talked about the flood.

Some time during the convo, I ask him
"How much would it have to rain every day for a month (that's how long it poured down for, right?) in order to cover even the highest mountains (which we both seem to remember the bible claiming)?"

He started doing the math, and the result was that it would have to rain so much that the waterlevel/height would have to in increase by about 140 meters every day.
Something which made me giggle like a girl.

Even he looked baffled by the thought of that.
But, he ended up defending it with "Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

The math might ofcourse be wrong for all I know, but..

But, if it rained that much...

Would it be safe to go outside?
Would people drown from the downpour alone in such a case?

You do know that Rain was not the only source of water the bible reports to be the source of the flood right?

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2015, 10:42 AM
(28-03-2015 10:38 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 04:25 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  My dad, who's a christian, were in the scientific mood yesterday and we talked about the flood.

"How much would it have to rain every day for a month (that's how long it poured down for, right?) in order to cover even the highest mountains (which we both seem to remember the bible claiming)?"

He started doing the math, and the result was that it would have to rain so much that the waterlevel/height would have to in increase by about 140 meters every day.

But, he ended up defending it with "Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

You do know that Rain was not the only source of water the bible reports to be the source of the flood right?

Was Rain a character in the bibble or are we talking about rain?

You crazy Christians and your use of capital letters.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Double post

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-03-2015, 10:48 AM
(28-03-2015 10:38 AM)Drich Wrote:  

And how does this change zero evidence for any global flooding?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-03-2015, 12:17 PM
I love semantics with reference to global flood, it doesnt fucking matter if the great mythical sky daddy stood on top of Mount Everest and pissed water for 4,000 years to flood the earth, there....here, let me say it slooooower...there exists ZERO evidence for a GLOBAL worldwide flood.....ZERO...and it damn sure didn't occur in 2349 BCE *points to Greenland, yet again for the thinking challenged*

oh wait let me guess he hid the evidence right Laugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
28-03-2015, 12:39 PM
(28-03-2015 12:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I love semantics with reference to global flood, it doesnt fucking matter if the great mythical sky daddy stood on top of Mount Everest and pissed water for 4,000 years to flood the earth, there....here, let me say it slooooower...there exists ZERO evidence for a GLOBAL worldwide flood.....ZERO...and it damn sure didn't occur in 2349 BCE *points to Greenland, yet again for the thinking challenged*

oh wait let me guess he hid the evidence right Laugh out load

If by "he" you mean god you are absolutely wrong. Obviously Satan hid the evidence for the flood. Just like how he planted fossils...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
28-03-2015, 01:46 PM
(28-03-2015 10:01 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I often wonder how some people distinguish between reality and fantasy.

There are some that don't as far as I can tell.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Okay, playing god's advocate for a moment: perhaps the tallest mountain back then was only, like 50 feet tall. Rolleyes

Then it would only have to rain a bit over a foot a day, over the entire world. And sure, the rainfall itself would kill everyone who was outside, but that was kind of the point, right?

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
30-03-2015, 01:58 PM
As has been stated elsewhere, rain need not have been the sole source of water nor did the mountains need to stand at their present heights...

And has been stated elsewhere, you create circular arguments at TTA by asking me for scholarly citations then rejecting the scholars themselves.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 02:25 PM
(30-03-2015 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  As has been stated elsewhere, rain need not have been the sole source of water nor did the mountains need to stand at their present heights...
For the sake of argument, let's just say that water from subterranean sources aided in a global flood. The entirety of Earth is submerged with the exception of Noah and his nautical menagerie.
Wouldn't the Egyptians, Sumerians, and Minoans (who all existed before, during, and after the alleged flood) all have either been completely destroyed, or perhaps bothered to mention it in their records? If the whole point of flooding the Earth was to kill all of the humans (the other billions of animals were mere collateral damage), that would seem like a major oversight.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]