Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 07:28 PM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
Quote:"Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

When they have to resort to magic you know you have them. Should have said "that's a really big "if" there, dad. Got any evidence?"

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 08:17 PM
(19-02-2015 07:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:"Well, if god created this and that, then surely he could make that (insane amounts of rain)happen too"

When they have to resort to magic you know you have them. Should have said "that's a really big "if" there, dad. Got any evidence?"

I love countering that stupid assertion with, "where did all the water go" Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
19-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I just love how the Noah story is used as proof of what gawd can do.

The literal bibble believers keep searching for the ark and trying to make up facts to support the story.

It's a damn fable - move on.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-02-2015, 08:30 PM
I talked to a YEC (which has since de-converted) I asked about the fossils, his answer was that the water rose slowly and different animals drowned at different layers. I then asked how the flood formed the grand canyon, to which he replied that the water shot up from the ground and rained down in torrential downpours. Two completely different answers in a couple minute span.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
19-02-2015, 08:32 PM
(19-02-2015 08:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I just love how the Noah story is used as proof of what gawd can do.

The literal bibble believers keep searching for the ark and trying to make up facts to support the story.

It's a damn fable - move on.

[Image: 250qg5v.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-02-2015, 08:46 PM
(19-02-2015 08:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  [Image: 250qg5v.jpg]

I anxiously await Q's explanation... [Image: yawning.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2015, 04:57 AM
(19-02-2015 08:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I anxiously await Q's explanation...

There is only one explanation...God did it. Every now and then God rewrites all the rules of climatology, geology, cosmology, evolution, boat building etc etc.

I wish I could say "God help us", but that would be rather pointless.
20-02-2015, 08:42 AM
(19-02-2015 08:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I love countering that stupid assertion with, "where did all the water go" Consider

Oh, sadly, they have an answer to that. Sure, it's the type of bad answer one would get from reading a sensationalist headline and maybe the first two paragraphs of the article, and from not really understanding science, but it is an answer. To them. Ask them about the differences between liquid and crystallized water, and I'm sure you'll get some sort of mysterious-ways/God-would-know kind of answer.

What cracks me up is how far some of them will bend to present pseudoscience to prove that this all could have happened, only to eventually fall back on omniscience when backed far enough into a corner. I mean, if your stated position on the matter is "God magicked it up", why bother with all of the bad science?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-02-2015, 08:55 AM
(20-02-2015 08:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 08:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I love countering that stupid assertion with, "where did all the water go" Consider

Oh, sadly, they have an answer to that. Sure, it's the type of bad answer one would get from reading a sensationalist headline and maybe the first two paragraphs of the article, and from not really understanding science, but it is an answer. To them. Ask them about the differences between liquid and crystallized water, and I'm sure you'll get some sort of mysterious-ways/God-would-know kind of answer.

What cracks me up is how far some of them will bend to present pseudoscience to prove that this all could have happened, only to eventually fall back on omniscience when backed far enough into a corner. I mean, if your stated position on the matter is "God magicked it up", why bother with all of the bad science?

Ugh, my FORMER creationist friend actually cited this on his Facebook page as proof for the Noahtic flood. I actually read the article and understood this as a process of slow subduction that has been going on billions of years as the water chemically bonded with ringwoodite deep in the mantle. It was sad, he just didn't care to understand what the article was saying. Lots of water underground= fountains of the deep- so Jesus!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-02-2015, 09:00 AM
(20-02-2015 08:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It was sad, he just didn't care to understand what the article was saying. Lots of water underground= fountains of the deep- so Jesus!

Is that any different than the thought processes that brought him to believe in the first place?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post