Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(03-06-2015 12:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 12:04 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Yes, the adult version of santa claus is jesus, haven't you heard?

Here let me help you with that sentence...

Are you saying most adults believe in jesus, now, despite volumes of facts to the contrary? YesYesYes

To be fair, I think his point was that most adults (at least in the US) actually do believe in Jesus, whereas no adults believe in Santa Claus. However, I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the number of adults who really, truly believe in Jesus is much smaller than the number who claim to have such belief. I think that the vast majority of people who go to church do so for social reasons or out of habit, that they find the service tedious, and that for the other 167 hours of the week, they live their lives in a way indistinguishable from the way atheists live theirs. I think there are a lot more "Christians" than Christians.

Absolutely, I like playing devil's advocate. I equate santa claus and jesus as the same level of child like belief. Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
03-06-2015, 01:17 PM
(03-06-2015 12:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 12:04 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Yes, the adult version of santa claus is jesus, haven't you heard?

Are you saying most adults believe in jesus, now, despite volumes of facts to the contrary? YesYesYes

To be fair, I think his point was that most adults (at least in the US) actually do believe in Jesus, whereas no adults believe in Santa Claus. However, I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the number of adults who really, truly believe in Jesus is much smaller than the number who claim to have such belief. I think that the vast majority of people who go to church do so for social reasons or out of habit, that they find the service tedious, and that for the other 167 hours of the week, they live their lives in a way indistinguishable from the way atheists live theirs. I think there are a lot more "Christians" than Christians.

ugh double post, my apologies, stupid military system firewalls

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
(03-06-2015 12:04 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 11:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  D'oh! Double D'oh! Are you saying most adults believe St. Nicholas is Santa Claus, now, despite volumes of facts to the contrary?

Yes, the adult version of santa claus is jesus, haven't you heard?

No. I'm saying that to increase your credibility in claiming all theists delusional, please demonstrate where most adults believe certain myths despite the evidence, and knowing the factual evidence, too.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2015, 07:56 AM
(04-06-2015 07:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

No. I'm saying that to increase your credibility in claiming all theists delusional, please demonstrate where most adults believe certain myths despite the evidence, and knowing the factual evidence, too.

Bigfoot

Aliens

Loch ness monster

Jesus

[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
04-06-2015, 07:57 AM
(03-06-2015 12:58 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 11:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  D'oh! Double D'oh! Are you saying most adults believe St. Nicholas is Santa Claus, now, despite volumes of facts to the contrary?

Please try again. 3 X's and the Jenkins family will steal... Give me The Inquisition! Give me William!

I'm just using Santa Claus hermeneutics to explain most people's ignorance about the historical Santa Claus.

I just patiently explained to you that it is possible to fit all of those presents on his sleigh because the presents would be the size of buckshot.

Now answer my actual question -is there anything in the bible you find ridiculous?

Is there anything in there you wouldn't try to explain away?

No, you didn't address my question at all. If you insist that theists are deluded, perhaps you can explain other delusions most people believe in despite the facts presented to the contrary. Most adults neither believe in Santa nor refuse to believe there was an historical St. Nicholas once presented the facts.

There is something in the Bible I do find ridiculous. The mystery of iniquity--how it is that thinking people can decide they are good enough on their own without God. That's nutty. Nutty! TTA members constantly bring up things like war and Christian hypocrisy, both of which point to you and I as evildoers, sinners.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-06-2015, 08:03 AM
(04-06-2015 07:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 12:58 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I'm just using Santa Claus hermeneutics to explain most people's ignorance about the historical Santa Claus.

I just patiently explained to you that it is possible to fit all of those presents on his sleigh because the presents would be the size of buckshot.

Now answer my actual question -is there anything in the bible you find ridiculous?

Is there anything in there you wouldn't try to explain away?

No, you didn't address my question at all. If you insist that theists are deluded, perhaps you can explain other delusions most people believe in despite the facts presented to the contrary. Most adults neither believe in Santa nor refuse to believe there was an historical St. Nicholas once presented the facts.

There is something in the Bible I do find ridiculous. The mystery of iniquity--how it is that thinking people can decide they are good enough on their own without God. That's nutty. Nutty! TTA members constantly bring up things like war and Christian hypocrisy, both of which point to you and I as evildoers, sinners.

Steadfast belief in the unknown, unseen, and unproven IS delusion. To continue to believe in a transcendental world centered around faith in a fabricated document that is largely disproven is imbecilic. It is no more valid than my little blue men in Uranus assertion...Consider or perhaps the great pumpkin is the great creator...come on Q, you seem to be intelligent, you can't be this simple or gullible....THINK man, THINK

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-06-2015, 11:12 AM
(02-06-2015 07:19 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Are all theists deluded?

Yes.

Quote:Are all religious persons deluded?

Yes.

Quote:Can you share another example of where MOST people in the world, and during most cultures, times, etc. have held a common delusion? (Not a lacking of fact, such as "the world is flat". A real delusion despite facts... what you would say are MANY facts.) Drinking Beverage

The delusion that there are any gods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-06-2015, 11:17 AM
(01-06-2015 11:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  The conservation laws, as for all the physical laws, are descriptions of the behavior of this universe. What occurred before this universe is unknown.

You don't seem to understand what physical laws are.

You have provided no credible evidence of anything supernatural.

I am biased toward evidence. You either ignore it or make it up.

I do know what a physical law is. But in this case, special pleading is used to allow for the creation of matter without creation from design.

That is not special pleading as it is not a truth claim; it is a hypothesis.

Quote:I have provided credible evidence of paranormal events.

Citation required.

Quote:You have a worldview that nothing paranormal may occur at any time, for any reason, in any location, and at any time.

Wrong again; that is not my worldview. There is no evidence of the paranormal. Let me know there is actual evidence.

Quote:That's not a mere bias--you could meet the resurrected Jesus and then tell yourself you were hallucinating.

Wrong yet again. You seem to view everything as either/or; you have no subtlety.

Quote:I go by evidence also, but I question whether you've ever studied Bible prophecy.

I have read about 'Bible prophecy' and there is nothing to it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-06-2015, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 11:32 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(04-06-2015 07:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There is something in the Bible I do find ridiculous. The mystery of iniquity--how it is that thinking people can decide they are good enough on their own without God. That's nutty. Nutty!

You should change you name to the Sye Continuum after that comment.

Edit: Also, what should puzzle you even more is that the bible is full of god completely revealing himself in person in many cases, through large scale events (i.e. three hour eclipse, dead jews wandering around, feeding thousands with next to nothing, driving out demons) but the best he can seem to do now is appear on the occasional piece of toast and wood. If he were to cure an amputee, that would be extremely compelling, unusual, and verifiable. But instead, he only seems to "cure" people suffering from ailments that we don't completely understand. That should trouble you far more than a presuppositional argument like that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
(04-06-2015 07:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The mystery of iniquity--how it is that thinking people can decide they are good enough on their own without God. That's nutty. Nutty! TTA members constantly bring up things like war and Christian hypocrisy, both of which point to you and I as evildoers, sinners.

What's nutty is people thinking they are not good enough on their own without God. That's a recipe for disaster. Like Jim Jones level disaster.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post