Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(24-02-2015 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Confusion reigns here among the atheists. Ice and liquid water are both water. If we affirm a near-global ice age or series of ice ages, we affirm that water affected many geographic features on the Earth. I'm not asserting that Noah's flood was a glacier as TheInquisition asks, rather, I'm trying to establish some common ground for us to begin with--and since Genesis isn't telling a story/narrative in present tense, rather Moses is telling stories that go back everywhere from 400 years prior to Creation itself...

Stories --- yup.. that's what it is.... Stories.......

Worldwide flood -- never happened -- it's just what happens when a story gets told and retold around a campfire....

A creek overflowing it's bank becomes "40 days and 40 nights of rain" and a "flood that covered the world".

Anyone who insists that it happened probably might as well go use the following as an explanation of what happened to all the water that receded ---

"And then all the water fell off the end of the world"....

Flat earth stuff is great, when you're trying to explain nonsense.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-02-2015, 06:11 PM
(24-02-2015 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Confusion reigns here among the atheists. Ice and liquid water are both water. If we affirm a near-global ice age or series of ice ages, we affirm that water affected many geographic features on the Earth. I'm not asserting that Noah's flood was a glacier as TheInquisition asks, rather, I'm trying to establish some common ground for us to begin with--and since Genesis isn't telling a story/narrative in present tense, rather Moses is telling stories that go back everywhere from 400 years prior to Creation itself...

Ice, water, super uber big gulps from the sky...whatever...global flood didnt happen. By the way, Moses never existed.

The existence of Moses as well as the veracity of the Exodus story are disputed among archaeologists and Egyptologists, with experts in the field of biblical criticism citing logical inconsistencies, new archaeological evidence, historical evidence, and related origin myths in Canaanite culture.

According to Prof. Ze'ev Herzog who teaches in the Department of Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies at Tel Aviv University, in "Deconstructing the Walls of Jericho", states as follows:

"This is what archaeologists have learned from their excavations in the Land of Israel: the Israelites were never in Egypt, did not wander in the desert, did not conquer the land in a military campaign and did not pass it on to the 12 tribes of Israel. Perhaps even harder to swallow is the fact that the united monarchy of David and Solomon, which is described by the Bible as a regional power, was at most a small tribal kingdom...... Most of those who are engaged in scientific work in the interlocking spheres of the Bible, archaeology and the history of the Jewish people - and who once went into the field looking for proof to corroborate the Bible story - now agree that the historic events relating to the stages of the Jewish people's emergence are radically different from what that story tells."

Ancient Egyptians, who kept one of the most detailed ancient historic details, make no mention of any Jews there or other historic events of any "Moses or any "Jew" slaves escaping, though they make mention of one Egyptian slave who once escaped and was caught. The Moses myth was copied from the African myth of Mises.

The fact is there was no Abraham, nor Moses, nor any King David, no enslavement in Egypt, and no Exodus. All these stories are myths copied from prevalent Zorastrian, Egyptian (i.e. African) and other Eastern myths (such as Sargon & Mises/Manu myths, the Code of Hammurabi, etc.) prevalent around that time in the Near East and projected back in time. Moses never existed.

Moses could not have parted the Red Sea, not only because it violates the laws of physics, and there was no Moses, but because there was no Red Sea to cross, since Egypt and Israel have a common land border.

what else you got?

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-02-2015, 06:36 AM
(24-02-2015 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Ice and liquid water are both water. If we affirm a near-global ice age or series of ice ages, we affirm that water affected many geographic features on the Earth.

Agreed. How is that relevant to the flood story in Genesis (since that's the topic of the thread)?

(24-02-2015 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not asserting that Noah's flood was a glacier as TheInquisition asks, rather, I'm trying to establish some common ground for us to begin with--and since Genesis isn't telling a story/narrative in present tense, rather Moses is telling stories that go back everywhere from 400 years prior to Creation itself...

Then why were you talking about glaciers?

Are you saying it might have been glaciers, or do you believe it was just liquid water? The Bible is pretty clear that it rained for 40 days and nights, and that the ark remained in the water until the flood waters abated.

Genesis 7:4:
Quote:4 For in seven days I will send rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living thing that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground.”

Genesis 7:24
Quote:24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth a hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8:1-4
Quote:1 But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the cattle that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided; 2 the fountains of the deep and the windows of the heavens were closed, the rain from the heavens was restrained, 3 and the waters receded from the earth continually. At the end of a hundred and fifty days the waters had abated; 4 and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest upon the mountains of Ar′arat.

It was pretty obviously liquid water. It came down as rain, went away within 150 days, and a boat floated in it, as opposed to getting crushed by the ice. So, again, why all this talk of glaciers in a thread about the Genesis flood myth?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
25-02-2015, 10:15 AM
All,

You're full of something, but it's not logic. Chas says there can't be a flood because "it can only go back as far as people" when he knows darn well people have been around 2-4 million years and society for 100,000 years or more based on the very type of cave evidence we've discussed.

And Robby doesn't know why I mention the ice age--when I've repeatedly said I'm asking if we can find common ground that water in possibly liquid form altered geography--as if the ice when it receded sublimated rather than melted!

And I've addressed the Exodus on another thread several times, for our goalpost shifter.

I'm not trying to pick a fight--rather the opposite--find common ground. Science says most of the Earth was covered by water...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Common ground???

Ok.... We're both on the same planet now..........

Where you came from before - anybody's guess....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-02-2015, 10:41 AM
(25-02-2015 10:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

You're full of something, but it's not logic. Chas says there can't be a flood because "it can only go back as far as people" when he knows darn well people have been around 2-4 million years and society for 100,000 years or more based on the very type of cave evidence we've discussed.

I said no such thing. You are once again either lying or are incapable of actually following a thread of discussion. I said the flood myth includes people, so looking for a flood before there were people is not germane.

Quote:And Robby doesn't know why I mention the ice age--when I've repeatedly said I'm asking if we can find common ground that water in possibly liquid form altered geography--as if the ice when it receded sublimated rather than melted!

And I've addressed the Exodus on another thread several times, for our goalpost shifter.

I'm not trying to pick a fight--rather the opposite--find common ground. Science says most of the Earth was covered by water...

Ice ages have nothing to do with the flood myth, so this is just you being ignorant and/or dishonest once again.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Quote: Science says most of the Earth was covered by water...

Most of the earth is covered by water. But there is not enough water to fulfill the absurd claims of your fucking bible stories so grow up.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
25-02-2015, 12:17 PM
(25-02-2015 10:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  And Robby doesn't know why I mention the ice age--when I've repeatedly said I'm asking if we can find common ground that water in possibly liquid form altered geography--as if the ice when it receded sublimated rather than melted!

I already acknowledged the "common ground" when I said "agreed" in my post.

The rest of it was me asking you why that has any bearing on this discussion. You have not answered that. My best guess is that you're obfuscating things to keep your actual position shielded from scrutiny. My second best guess is that you're just fucking with us, seeing how long you can keep us responding before we either all put you on ignore or you get banned.

Is it some third thing I've overlooked? If it is, please explain it. I'd really like to fucking know.
25-02-2015, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2015 12:30 PM by Timber1025.)

And Robby doesn't know why I mention the ice age--when I've repeatedly said I'm asking if we can find common ground that water in possibly liquid form altered geography--as if the ice when it receded sublimated rather than melted!

You are full of something, but it is not integrity. Why is it that so many other parts of the bible can be viewed as stories or allegories to learn from, but not take as a literal event? Why does this flood myth need to be true? What is with the absolutely absurd defending of a global event that was copied from previous myths, and not in any recorded history from any other part of the world?

You have become so pathetic that it is hard to watch you scramble for any respect in these forums.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
25-02-2015, 12:41 PM

I don't shift goals Q, I eviscerate myths. Your constant striving to do the backwards limbo while juggling coconuts in a lame attempt to convince yourself, let alone anyone else, that these events happened is like trying to piss in the ocean to change the ebb and flow of the tides. I know it is hard to admit to yourself, then later others, that there are MASSIVE holes in the myth, and it is easy to debunk things like the global flood, moses, the ark, the resurrection, the exodus...these aren't opinions Q, anyone can have those apparently, it is based on careful analysis of all available evidence, like the lack of supporting evidence of a global all earth consuming flood, lack of evidence to support the exodus fable, etc....but hey, I understand, it is hard to give up a worldview, even if it is pitifully wrong, just ask the members of the flat earth society, or your local church...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post