Dat Noah Flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 12:27 PM
RE: Dat Noah Flood
(26-02-2015 11:32 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Yes, I know the flood story does not contain ice. I want you to see the arc of history:

1. The West accepts the Flood story and is a religious culture.

2. The West moves toward enlightenment and toward science that says it must stay away from the scriptures as reliable.

3. The Flood story is derided as myth.

4. One of the less religious scientists of his day sees evidence of erosion and upheavals and looking at the data, concludes ice covered all or nearly all of the planet.

5. Christian academics and scientists account for anomalies in the slow-moving water (ice) theories with revisiting the scriptures and looking at the data, both in the scriptures and science. In the NT, for example, the Flood is described not as mere rain but as a catastrophe causing tremendous upheaval, a shaking of the planet.

Common ground.

WTF are you trying to accomplish with this drivel? What are you saying as far as the date and actual occurrence of the flood? Stop throwing up crap all over the place and be clear for once.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
26-02-2015, 12:57 PM
(26-02-2015 11:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 11:32 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. The West accepts the Flood story and is a religious culture.

Citation? I would love to know the real percentage of people in the West who actually think this is true.

I think Q in general is full of something stinky, but -- the above claim is part of a historical sequence. He was not saying that this is true now, only that it was once true -- say, up until 400-500 years ago. And he's right about that.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Yes, I know the flood story does not contain ice. I want you to see the arc of history:

1. The West accepts the Flood story and is a religious culture.

2. The West moves toward enlightenment and toward science that says it must stay away from the scriptures as reliable.

3. The Flood story is derided as myth.

4. One of the less religious scientists of his day sees evidence of erosion and upheavals and looking at the data, concludes ice covered all or nearly all of the planet.

5. Christian academics and scientists account for anomalies in the slow-moving water (ice) theories with revisiting the scriptures and looking at the data, both in the scriptures and science. In the NT, for example, the Flood is described not as mere rain but as a catastrophe causing tremendous upheaval, a shaking of the planet.

Common ground.

The flood story is not derided as myth, it is proven to be a myth by evidence.

No common ground until you understand actual evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Your attempts to conflate the biblical flood story with an ice age are baseless. The flood story is fairly unambiguous in describing liquid water (drowning, deluge, the need for a big floaty boat, etc...) whereas geology is pretty unambiguous about ice ages being, not to put too fine a point on it, ice.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-02-2015, 05:15 PM
I wrote a play about the flood and the ark, a few years ago. In the story, I imagined what it would be like for the neighbors, when the animals started coming. I imagined terrible parasitic diseases from poo-filled water. Tigers roaming into people's homes. A giant pile of poo, and a nephew who got the job of constant poo-flinging. Oh, and Noah was quite the flinger, too. I imagine him as an old drunk (see the bible), yelling sexual things to young women as they passed by, calling them harlots and whores for wearing jewelry.

I tried to create a village that would have been a lot more developed than many people think. Swimming pools. Breweries. Makeup and jewelry. Back yards. I wanted the listener (it was an audio play) to see the human tragedy in this. Damla is a 9 year-old girl who has to take care of her bratty brother. We get to hear her last gasp for breath before the waves overtake her. It's quite sad. And that's what Noah's Ark is. It's no sweet children's story.

I also made a video called, "Noah's Ark: The Horror" on YouTube. Smile
26-02-2015, 06:13 PM
I always giggle trying to picture the sloth swimming his ass across the ocean with the missus for the ark cruise....and I have often wondered, how DID all of the insects get there? It would have been nice if the mosquitos and roaches could have drowned Weeping

Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
26-02-2015, 06:23 PM
(26-02-2015 06:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I always giggle trying to picture the sloth swimming his ass across the ocean with the missus for the ark cruise....and I have often wondered, how DID all of the insects get there? It would have been nice if the mosquitos and roaches could have drowned Weeping

Big Grin

Now you shouldn't mock the tale of Atrahasis, Utnapishtim, Ziusudra, Gilgamesh, Noah, I'm sure you've pissed off a whole pantheon of gods. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
26-02-2015, 08:40 PM
(26-02-2015 12:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 11:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Citation? I would love to know the real percentage of people in the West who actually think this is true.

I think Q in general is full of something stinky, but -- the above claim is part of a historical sequence. He was not saying that this is true now, only that it was once true -- say, up until 400-500 years ago. And he's right about that.

I see what you are saying HOWEVER, when he says "the West accepts..." that is clearly in the present tense. If it was from that long ago, it should have been "the West accepted..." From the tense of the sentence, I doubt he was referring to 400 years ago. I may be wrong though, perhaps he will clarify when he presents the evidence for his claims.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
27-02-2015, 07:22 AM
(26-02-2015 08:40 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...perhaps he will clarify when he presents the evidence for his claims.

Laughat

That's expected shortly after hell freezes over. In fact, if that happens then that could be the evidence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-02-2015, 08:12 AM
The biggest single bit of evidence that "Noah's Ark" could not have existed is it's very description in the KJV bible....

300 cubits long (137.16 m, 450 ft), 50 wide (22.86 m, 75 ft), and 30 high (13.716 m, 45 ft).

That's a small ship by today's standards.

"Two of every animal" simply would not fit on a boat that small. Not even if you dehydrated them.

You're a moron to think kiddie stories are true.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.