Data Overload

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Data Overload
docskeptic's holistic sunday school thread made me think of something. There was a question about omniscience. Could one even begin to imagine what that might mean. I would suppose that theists would suggest that proves the unimaginable power of god.

I consider the data coming in every moment and would suggest otherwise. god's mind or circuits or whatever exploded many many years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
14-04-2013, 10:00 AM
RE: Data Overload
What it means is that god's mind is a "book." Everything has been written, past and future, it's all there. There is no present. Everything has been decided, from end to beginning. The important point is that choosing belief in "god" is irrelevant. You don't have a choice, or a now. Your fate is known in advance, and the notion of proselytizing, christ's most significant commandment is thus, meaningless in a religious sense. I'm sure it made more political and economic sense to the cult. A rabbi or mullah might disagree with this, I don't know. I'm far too ignorant of those parts of the abrahamic trinity. Christians, however, are demonstrably insane.

Maybe I'm out of date, but never the less, it's all utter fucking nonsense.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBarkingSnail's post
14-04-2013, 10:00 AM
RE: Data Overload
(14-04-2013 09:37 AM)JAH Wrote:  docskeptic's holistic sunday school thread made me think of something. There was a question about omniscience. Could one even begin to imagine what that might mean. I would suppose that theists would suggest that proves the unimaginable power of god.

I consider the data coming in every moment and would suggest otherwise. god's mind or circuits or whatever exploded many many years ago.

In knowing everything you know nothing. To be completely Omniscient would require constant input from several magnitudes of a Quintillion points of view. Plus you could never focus your attention on anything or you are not being Omniscient. It is a silly concept that was outlandish when the world was only the size of the 3 valleys you had ever seen and the 250 people you had ever met. Once the universe is ever expanding and larger than anyone on this planet can have a realistic view of relative to scale, the idea becomes laughable. If such a thing were to exist it would be so alien as to have no way in which to communicate with an animal such as ourselves. So to think this kind of being was interested in some desert dwelling goat herders in the bronze and iron age is beyond preposterous.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post