Dating Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Dating Believers
I have begun to ask myself wether persuing a relationship with a person of faith is a viable option, and if I could sway another in their belief.
Is this possible?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BillMaherisAwesome's post
12-10-2015, 10:21 PM
RE: Dating Believers
Don't sway them.

Use their enforced sense of guilt and innate slave-mentality to take full advantage of them sexually and financially.

Did I say that out loud?

Blush

[+] 11 users Like DLJ's post
12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
(12-10-2015 10:00 PM)BillMaherisAwesome Wrote:  I have begun to ask myself wether persuing a relationship with a person of faith is a viable option, and if I could sway another in their belief.
Is this possible?
Possible? Yes. A good idea? Definitely not. You should have a mutual understanding of each accepting they other for what they are. An agenda of changing the other partner is a source of stress with great potential for destroying the relationship.

Sapere aude
[+] 4 users Like f stop's post
12-10-2015, 10:42 PM
(12-10-2015 10:00 PM)BillMaherisAwesome Wrote:  I have begun to ask myself wether persuing a relationship with a person of faith is a viable option, and if I could sway another in their belief.
Is this possible?
Depends how religious they are. Whether they want you to pay 10% of your income to the church. Send your kids to religious schools, indoctrinate them with lies about gods and demons, instill guilt in them for being human. Make them reject science, make them avoid certain medical treatments e.g. blood transfusions, contraception, abortion etc.

Depends how far you are willing to go to accommodate the needs of your partner.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
12-10-2015, 11:09 PM
(12-10-2015 10:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Don't sway them.

Use their enforced sense of guilt and innate slave-mentality to take full advantage of them sexually and financially.

Did I say that out loud?

Blush

DLJ, not everyone is, as awesome as you . Stop rubbing it in our faces Tongue

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
12-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Viable? Yes . Preferable? Depends on the person. Do you see yourself being able to live with someone who spouts stuff like "you're going to burn in hell" , "atheists are evil" kinda crap? If so, go for it man, ain't muy life. But I think If you're going for a short term relationship, religion is a non issue

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
12-10-2015, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 11:50 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
My son's mother was a Cafeteria Catholic until near the end of our relationship, when she started passing through deism on her way to atheist Buddhism. It wasn't a change I worked on consciously, but we did talk about faith sometimes, and I laid my points out, so I don't doubt I had some influence in her loss of faith.

However -- and this is a big however -- I didn't set out to do it, and I didn't make any conditions regarding her beliefs at all with regards to our relationship. First, I don't have any interest in changing someone else's faith. Secondly, our love was always more important than her outlook, so long as she respected my own outlook as well. For instance, before my son was born, we discussed this difference between us and how we would address his inevitable questions. I insisted that he not be indoctrinated, but I had no problem with her explaining her faith to him, so long as I was equally free to explain my lack of faith to him. In a word, we compromised, and in such a manner that we were still free to discuss the matter.

If you love someone, you respect their right to hold different views from you. If the differences are unbridgeable, don't enter into a long-term relationship. If you can find your way to compromise, you should honor the compromise you've made.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-10-2015, 11:42 PM
I believe straightforward Carbon dating is sufficient, since the faith itself only claims to be a couple of thousand years old.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
13-10-2015, 12:00 AM
(12-10-2015 11:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  I believe straightforward Carbon dating is sufficient, since the faith itself only claims to be a couple of thousand years old.

I think you're missing the point.

The trick is to be able to distinguish the graphite from the diamonds.

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Depends on what type of relationship we're talking about and what type of believer the other person is.

[Image: giphy.gif]