Poll: When a non-believer is dating a Theist, is it easier when...
...the believer is a female?
...the believer is a male?
[it makes no difference]
[Show Results]

Dating a Theist, easier for a guy or a girl?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: Dating a Theist, easier for a guy or a girl?
Dating a theist is annoying and hard. Period. Male or female.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and stick to other Atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Someone mentioned it mate. I am often unable to quote because my device wont allow me to read what I type.

But why date someone who believe something that irks one enough they post on a site such as this?

Pair bonding should be a rational relationship.

There are cultural divisions being forced upon us even more. The intelligent design lobby trying to force their agenda into classrooms is just one aspect that will affect children. That is but one example. I could write an essay on the broken homes I've seen. As many others could.

I've seen so many families break apart because people made poor choices and married the wrong person.

I can imagine it working. However, considering the divorce rate these days....

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-05-2014, 09:08 AM
(27-05-2014 11:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Why marry or date a person to convert them?

My wife was a closet theist for the first four years of our marriage. I guess I was so loud spoken that she found it best to keep it hidden for years, and then I found the bible hidden in our house. I still say she is agnostic, because being partial kinda Catholic/kinda wiccan and doing both spells and going to church occasionally, while not believing in hell at all, is very confusing to me. I don't wish to convert her, but I do think she will end up atheist in time because of the constant changes in spirituality and doubt. I do admit I hope she does, but that isn't something I'd say or try to forcefully change about her. Maybe I am unknowingly to blame for her spiritual struggles, but it was never my intent.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
28-05-2014, 09:26 AM
(28-05-2014 06:29 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose the answer would depend a lot on just how 'theist' the theist is.

Yeah, as Cephalotus pointed out, I do mean generally speaking, and from your personal point of view. There are no right or wrong answers. Consider Probably just a whole bunch of wrong answers...

Obviously how "theist" the theist is is extremely important. But I just mean in general. However, our own general experience of how "theist" theist are will vary a lot from person to person.

In my experience, most "theist" are more relaxed theist, in which I know why more about their book and their religion than they do themselves. In fact I don't believe I've ever dated anyone who has been more knowledgeable about the bible than me. However, I have dated a number of them who believed they were, and that caused a lot of really stupid fights.

Case in point of stupid fights.
I put this in spoilers because it’s a little off topic. Feel free to read if you want…
I was discussing with a girl I was dating, who wanted to know my thoughts on "God", that "God" is indefinable and that's part of the problem with believing in a "god"…what is it that you believe? She then defined “him” as this sort of weird amorphous energy cloud of intelligence. I pointed out that the bible shows that "he" would look like us (being that we are made in his image and all). She claimed that was a metaphor for being made in the image of "his" intelligence, and that no one ever…in the history of time, then or now…ever actually believed that in “his” image meant a physical looking body. I pointed her to pictures of the celine of the Sistine Chaple.

[Image: god-sistine-chapel.jpg]
She then argued with me that that was not a picture of "God" but of Moses, and she knows because she visited the Sistine Chaple when she was in Italy, and read it on a pamphlet there.

When I continued to disagree with her about this, she became very irate because that meant by default I was calling her a liar because she was there, and she knows! I told her I was not calling her a liar (she was a liar, by the way) but that she was either misinformed, or remembering it incorrectly. She said she was going to look it up. Three days later I asked her what she found, and she claimed she looked it up and it said it was Moses and she was right.

Needless to say, if we couldn’t have a honest, rational, calm conversation about this…there was no hope for this particular relationship…

28-05-2014, 09:32 AM
(28-05-2014 08:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Someone mentioned it mate. I am often unable to quote because my device wont allow me to read what I type.

But why date someone who believe something that irks one enough they post on a site such as this?

Pair bonding should be a rational relationship.

There are cultural divisions being forced upon us even more. The intelligent design lobby trying to force their agenda into classrooms is just one aspect that will affect children. That is but one example. I could write an essay on the broken homes I've seen. As many others could.

I've seen so many families break apart because people made poor choices and married the wrong person.

I can imagine it working. However, considering the divorce rate these days....

To the point of the original post. I am not asking whether or not it is a good idea to date someone who is a theist. That's a different conversation, that can and has been happening elsewhere on this forum.

I'm not trying to get advice on whether it's a good or bad idea to date either a female or male theist. I will only be dating a female, regardless of her religious bent.

Advice on not dating a theist is not the point of the question. I'm just wondering what people think of which situtation is easier or harder when dating a theist, or if it makes a difference at all either way.

That's it...

28-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Follow your bliss I suppose.

I was the seven year old boy who yelled "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" at a wedding party in the Botanical gardens in Melbourne in 1971.

So that needs to be taken into account when I comment on relationships.

50 years old. Never married. Bachellor until death. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
28-05-2014, 09:37 AM
(28-05-2014 09:32 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Follow your bliss I suppose.

I was the seven year old boy who yelled "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" at a wedding party in the Botanical gardens in Melbourne in 1971.

So that needs to be taken into account when I comment on relationships.

50 years old. Never married. Bachellor until death. Smile

You've never regretted that decision?
28-05-2014, 09:45 AM
No. And EVERY married man I know closely tells me he envies me.

My life is calm. I am never told what to do. I never have to hide anything or compromise. I am the master of my life and I have lived it doing exactly what I wanted. In a profession I adore. My profession is my hobby. I never work because I love it.
A girlfriend once suggested I get a "real job". I then went on the road for 6 months.

I believe she works as an accountant in an office somewhere.

Banjo.
28-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Dating a Theist, easier for a guy or a girl?
(28-05-2014 06:27 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 06:22 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Due to the nature of the question asked, anything and everything that gets discussed in this thread could be dismissed with the argument of "Not every X will Y." There is no point in making arguments like that. The op asked us how we personally feel about the majority of interfaith couples.

"Don't you oppress me!"

I am responding to a post above where the idea Christian married men are less likely to cheat is postulated. This is an ongoing conversation. Read the interactions above.

[Image: qunudeqe.jpg]

"Faithful" refers to fidelity in the graph.

http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/2009...y.html?m=1

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
28-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I've dated 3 theists. I think it is much easier to date a female theist because they tend to be submissive (at least in my experience), where as I would assume males would be more dominant.

...I wonder why? Consider Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon