Dating a christian..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: Dating a christian..
I married a 'light-core' christian. That was hard enough when it came to aligning decisions in our life, especially with our children. At times it was stressful. Lucky for me he sees the light now and is no longer a believer so much. If he had been hard core in his beliefs it wouldn't have lasted- I'd be surprised if anyone could have that work. Those are two different realities.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2012, 11:54 AM
The question is, what do you want from a relationship?

If it's a matter of being with someone who's attractive and fun, with whom you can share certain things and talk about certain things while keeping other subjects and activities off-limits, then yes, I think you can date a fundamentalist Christian.

But if you're looking for something deeper . . . if you're searching for your "soulmate" . . . someone you can open up to completely and really share your life with . . . then I don't see much hope. How can you have that kind of relationship with someone who thinks you're heading for hell?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
22-01-2012, 12:55 PM
That's hardcore, cufflink. My Gwynnies says she's half Christian, half Jew; now that sounds pretty confused, but if she comes over here, shit'll get sorted. Like my head exploding. Big Grin

Dammit, I love that girl. The point I'm trying to make here is that there is no point; love conquers all. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-01-2012, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 01:01 PM by Erxomai.)
If she's hardcore, she won't stick with you very long, or will only do so in order to convert you. It could be she's playing around with her beliefs a bit to see how far she can go without leaving the fold, but if she's a True Believer, she's going to be confronted with this verse and will be told it applies to dating/marrying a "heathen."

Don't be unequally yoked
Quote: 14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14 NIV.

Missionary Dating
Quote:12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.
1 Corinthians 7:12-14 NIV.

As for my own opinion, I side with Dawkins in thinking that Believers are delusional. The question becomes: do you want to be in an intimate relationship with someone whose worldview is so out of whack with reality?

But like Jeff answered earlier, if she's hot, all common sense gets thrown out the window! Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
22-01-2012, 01:07 PM
(22-01-2012 12:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's hardcore, cufflink. My Gwynnies says she's half Christian, half Jew; now that sounds pretty confused, but if she comes over here, shit'll get sorted. Like my head exploding. Big Grin

Dammit, I love that girl. The point I'm trying to make here is that there is no point; love conquers all. Tongue

Got it, Johnny. The romantic in me hopes you're right. Who knows, maybe sometimes love does conquer all. I'd like to think so!

I wish you the best of luck with your Gwynnies. But don't let your head explode. That wouldn't make a good first impression. Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
22-01-2012, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 01:15 PM by houseofcantor.)
Common sense has the sense to get outta the way of good old fashioned lust. If I said it once, I said it a thousand times... so I gots to find other ways to say it. Like being the darkness to Gwynnie's light; I'm not evil in the sense of getting up to mischief, I'm evil in the sense of reuniting with the good that is Gwyneth will create a new singularity and devour the universe.

That's evil, baby! Big Grin
(22-01-2012 01:07 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 12:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's hardcore, cufflink. My Gwynnies says she's half Christian, half Jew; now that sounds pretty confused, but if she comes over here, shit'll get sorted. Like my head exploding. Big Grin

Got it, Johnny. The romantic in me hopes you're right. Who knows, maybe sometimes love does conquer all. I'd like to think so!

I wish you the best of luck with your Gwynnies. But don't let your head explode. That wouldn't make a good first impression. Wink
It comes down to risk management and self-knowledge. I don't bark like a big dog because I'm delusional, I bark like a big dog because I have been referenced by reality - if my Gwynnie thing is delusion, all of this; this writing, your existing, all of it must be delusion.

So it is love, and when love happens, sacrifices must be made. And when love happens, wreckage will occur. But there ain't no other point to life than to love. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-01-2012, 01:18 PM
(22-01-2012 01:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So it is love, and when love happens, sacrifices must be made. And when love happens, wreckage will occur. But there ain't no other point to life than to love. Wink

Well said! 'Specially 'bout the wreckage part Tongue
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-01-2012, 01:28 PM
(22-01-2012 01:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 01:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So it is love, and when love happens, sacrifices must be made. And when love happens, wreckage will occur. But there ain't no other point to life than to love. Wink

Well said! 'Specially 'bout the wreckage part Tongue

Zero-state is an honest position. We're adults; there's no point in dressing it up in fancy clothes. Eyes wide open into the lake of fire for my Gwynnies. I would only expect the studio audience to be more rational. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-01-2012, 01:30 PM
hopefully you can talk without fighting and reason together. Once you use reason she don't have a leg to stand on. Try not to over whelm her with the facts. this will take time for a deep trenched Christian. Look at the ones on here that try to convert us Atheist. It don't work and they refuse to see the truth. They walk around with blinders on. If you love this woman you will need to decide if you can put up with her mythology. If she respects your views and don't try to force you to her superstitions go for it. As long as she don't try to brain wash your children. Their is a truth that says not to be unevenly yoked. You don't put a draw horse on one side and a pony on the other.
22-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Frankly, about 6 months into the relationship I hinted that I was an athiest, and she broke it off.

I'm thinking that I should just wait to transfer at the end of the year to start dating again.