Dating a christian..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: Dating a christian..
My father married my mother, who was a catholic then protestant then catholic again. He swallowed his atheism and even let her raise us christian and take us to church. It oddly never came between them. They are still married today even though he came out as an atheist, and all his children came out us atheists.

For me, on the other hand, it's the big deal-breaker. It does make me rather bigotted, I know, but finding out someone is Christian (or Muslim, or believes in ghosts, or dianetics, etc) just puts them in the friend-zone permanently.
See I could (and have) date a capitalist, but not a Christian Tongue

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
22-01-2012, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 01:40 PM by Erxomai.)
(22-01-2012 01:36 PM)Squid Wrote:  Frankly, about 6 months into the relationship I hinted that I was an athiest, and she broke it off.

I'm thinking that I should just wait to transfer at the end of the year to start dating again.

Sorry to hear that, bro. Nothing wrong with taking some time off.
(22-01-2012 01:39 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  See I could (and have) date a capitalist, but not a Christian Tongue

You mean they're not the same thing? Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
24-01-2012, 10:18 PM
(22-01-2012 12:09 AM)Squid Wrote:  I Can anyone sympathize with me? anyone been in the same situation?

I'm married to one. I'm working on converting her to rational thinking. Just about there. Takes time. My kids are atheists. "Passing on the wisdom"

Here's my best advice. Grow a pair of testicles. Be the alpha.
If the family she is coming from has control over her thinking, don't bother. This will be a fight that you cannot win. She will not leave her family for you.

There are plenty of hotties out there.
Here is a great pick up line and a disqualifier, "You're not one of those crazy christians are you?"
Loose early. Get it out of the way before you even know her name.

There are also atheist social clubs in many cities and on-line.

Good hunting.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
25-01-2012, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2012 06:22 AM by evilflower.)
I'm in the process of converting one Christian girl Tongue
Still considering whether I should give up.

Agree to Thomas, it IS possible. But takes a lot of time and effort. As Thomas said, you should be alpha. I.e. take a real authority over her. Be loving and listening, but focus on teaching.

I can also give you a little hint in case she gets really persistent in trying to convert you:

(Timothy 12-14)
Quote:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

Yeah it's really a chauvinist and disgusting quote, like many Bible quotes, but can be used to make your female preacher listen to you.
25-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I was a hard core Christian when I started dating the woman who is now my wife. My situation was a little different because I had moved out of a structured environment into a completely unstructured environment, which was exactly what I needed.

It worked well in that we respected each others' beliefs. I secretly wished that she would convert and she secretly wished I would convert, but neither of us was willing to sacrifice the relationship. Actually, I was willing to briefly. And it tore me apart... I broke up with her because I didn't think it could work. I was racked with guilt and self-loathing because I couldn't stick to my Christian principles. When she came buy to return some of my stuff I couldn't stand to see her leave. We talked things through and we've been happily together ever since.

Eventually, after separating myself enough from the church, the doubts I had were able to come into the light again and after a number of years I came to where I am now. Not once did she push me to ignore my beliefs, or to not go to church, or tell me how ridiculous my beliefs were. She did tell me about some of the contradictions in the Bible and how she could never believe because of the way the Bible treats women. But she was willing to go to church with me... I just wasn't willing to make her go with me.

So, yeah it's possible. People do it all the time. Outcomes will vary per couple. Good luck!
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
25-01-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2012 11:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-01-2012 01:39 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  My father married my mother, who was a catholic then protestant then catholic again. He swallowed his atheism and even let her raise us christian and take us to church.

That's me. This avowed atheist married a devout Catholic and we even got married by a priest in a Catholic Church and all I had to do was promise not to interfere with any resultant children's Catholic upbringing. I attended all 4 of our children's infant baptisms and smiled bemusedly as the priest sprinkled holy water on their foreheads while mumbling meaningless incantations. ... And then I fucked the God out of her. 4 fine young adult atheists and 26 years later, we're still going strong. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-01-2012, 09:33 PM
(25-01-2012 06:14 AM)evilflower Wrote:  I'm in the process of converting one Christian girl Tongue
Still considering whether I should give up.

Agree to Thomas, it IS possible. But takes a lot of time and effort. As Thomas said, you should be alpha. I.e. take a real authority over her.
(Timothy 12-14)
Quote:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

Yeah it's really a chauvinist and disgusting quote, like many Bible quotes, but can be used to make your female preacher listen to you.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you are. You're talking about people here, not property. This isn't a dog for you to train as YOU see fit. Do you, as an atheist, consider yourself to be a free-thinker? Isn't this what you would wish for others? Having rational discussions and trying to teach someone new things is one thing. Treating people like they are animals is another.

What a disgusting, misogynist attitude.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
26-01-2012, 08:06 AM
(25-01-2012 09:33 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  You're talking about people here, not property. This isn't a dog for you to train as YOU see fit. Do you, as an atheist, consider yourself to be a free-thinker? Isn't this what you would wish for others? Having rational discussions and trying to teach someone new things is one thing. Treating people like they are animals is another.

What a disgusting, misogynist attitude.

trillium13... I should admit, you shocked me.
But then I re-read my post and understood I really did sound like a misogynist.

No wonder - tried to post quickly and didn't re-read several times as I usually do. Now you made me feel ashamed of my own writing Sad

Probably my worst mistake was the phrase "take authority". English is not my first language. By "authority" I meant "a big moral influence". I was never going to say "you should command her".

"Make her listen to you" was also an awful choice. My original thought was, many religious people consider themselves empowered by their knowledge (or imaginary knowledge, if you wish) and try to turn into teachers for their non-religious partners. (This was what Erxomai called "Missionary dating".) I had an idea to use the quote from Timothy to make them refrain from this kind of teaching, by turning their own argument (the Bible) against them. NOT to "make them listen to us". NOT to make them take any shit we say. And of course the "female preacher" was meant to be joking.

No, I never think that my (agnostic) point of view is correct and the Christian one isn't. I always assume I may be wrong. And I don't want my girl, or any other, to be "saved" from Christian bigots by getting into hands of an "agnostic bigot". Or any other kind of bigot.

I am sorry to have sounded like an asshole.
And thank you for your criticism.

One last note - I'm also sure you didn't mean you treated dogs, or other non-human animals, as property.
At least, as I can see from your avatar and signature, we have a common passion for cats Smile