Dating a moderate muslim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: Dating a moderate muslim
(20-01-2014 01:13 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Yeah, not all muslims want to fly planes into buildings.

of course not. To say otherwise is just being an ignoramus.

I think what witchy was trying to say, is that you describe her as moderate, but if she is still very much under the impression that her hymen is responsible for the honor of her family, that doesn't sound too "moderate" to us. Needing her father's permission to date someone...It sounds a little bit more devout...and little bit more on the fundamental side.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
20-01-2014, 01:18 PM
(20-01-2014 01:13 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:12 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I know muslims who eat pork and/or drink alcohol, don't pray 5 times a day or ever even and don't expect their wife to be a virgin on the wedding night. In general, their lives are not affected by their religion.
I would call that moderate.

I would call that non-practicing.

Well yes, I guess "not practicing" would be a more precise term. Still , they consider themselves muslims.
Luckily for me most people here are non practicing, whether muslims or christians.

(20-01-2014 01:13 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Yeah, not all muslims want to fly planes into buildings. There's shades of grey with all religions.

Of course.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
20-01-2014, 01:23 PM
(20-01-2014 01:18 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:13 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Yeah, not all muslims want to fly planes into buildings.

I think what witchy was trying to say, is that you describe her as moderate, but if she is still very much under the impression that her hymen is responsible for the honor of her family, that doesn't sound too "moderate" to us. Needing her father's permission to date someone...It sounds a little bit more devout...and little bit more on the fundamental side.

Possibly, it could also be that she fears honor-killing.
Even here in western Europe, girls are found dead more than you'd think. And afterwards it's usually for that exact reason.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
20-01-2014, 01:25 PM
(20-01-2014 01:12 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:00 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Muslims have such strict boundaries (or so I thought). That's been my impression. With the impression I've had---- moderate + muslim don't seem to go together.
My view is askew obviously.

I know muslims who eat pork and/or drink alcohol, don't pray 5 times a day or ever even and don't expect their wife to be a virgin on the wedding night. In general, their lives are not affected by their religion.

I know a few as well. Strange enough, they're all men. The women folk tend to stay in the back round, don't eat pork, and certainly don't drink alcohol.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
20-01-2014, 01:31 PM
(20-01-2014 01:18 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  

Thanks. 2 points for the assist Thumbsup

Non-practicing sounds better somehow than 'moderate'.Huh
And yes most practicing Muslims don't fly planes into buildings. It's not that I don't know that. I meant no referral to rabid or radicals. I meant the tenements of the religion itself. Sorry if I came across offensive.
I guess most any religion can be dealt with moderately these days.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Um this wouldn't be a "breakup over just sex" -- that's just the symptom. If she didn't want sex or didn't like sex or something like that, then it would be over sex. The problem is the cultural clash and the religious-beliefs clash. That's WAY bigger than sex.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
20-01-2014, 02:31 PM
(20-01-2014 01:33 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Um this wouldn't be a "breakup over just sex" -- that's just the symptom. If she didn't want sex or didn't like sex or something like that, then it would be over sex. The problem is the cultural clash and the religious-beliefs clash. That's WAY bigger than sex.

When the consent of sex of an adult woman becomes a family issue (meaning the family chooses, rather than the adult involved) there's a big problem.

Just tell her you prefer to date women who don't bring their dads in the bedroom.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
20-01-2014, 02:54 PM
(20-01-2014 01:25 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:12 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I know muslims who eat pork and/or drink alcohol, don't pray 5 times a day or ever even and don't expect their wife to be a virgin on the wedding night. In general, their lives are not affected by their religion.

I know a few as well. Strange enough, they're all men. The women folk tend to stay in the back round, don't eat pork, and certainly don't drink alcohol.

Thanks Marozz.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-01-2014, 03:17 PM
(20-01-2014 02:54 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:25 PM)Marozz Wrote:  

Thanks Marozz.

Thumbsup

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
12-02-2014, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 10:55 AM by Caveman.)
Hey everyone, I figured I owed you guys an update.
I haven't ssen her anymore since the second date because she went on a 2 week vacation to Morocco. I guess it gave me some time to think. There was some facebookmessaging, but not too much.
She did once say she might be in love with me, and I didn't feel very positive about that.
So last night she texted me and said she had thought about it all her vacation and she wanted to try 'The Loophole'.
While the idea is kind of arousing, I have decided to break it off. I just can't deal with the secrecy and future prospects.
So at first I figured I'd do it in person, but now I think it might be better to just send her a message. Various reasons, not because of ease or confrontation.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post