Dating and Relationships

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Dating and Relationships
I am in the process of getting out of a long term relationship. Just wondering if anyone who is/was single out there found it hard to meet/date people as an atheist since so many people in society identify with christianity or some other religion?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Dating and Relationships
(27-04-2015 06:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am in the process of getting out of a long term relationship. Just wondering if anyone who is/was single out there found it hard to meet/date people as an atheist since so many people in society identify with christianity or some other religion?

We have some couples that formed here, we even have an official TTA baby.... you can also find local atheist groups here http://www.meetup.com/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2015, 07:43 PM
(27-04-2015 06:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 06:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am in the process of getting out of a long term relationship. Just wondering if anyone who is/was single out there found it hard to meet/date people as an atheist since so many people in society identify with christianity or some other religion?

We have some couples that formed here, we even have an official TTA baby.... you can also find local atheist groups here http://www.meetup.com/

Thanks I'll go check that out Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
28-04-2015, 06:02 AM
If you're just getting out - consider staying out for a while.

Being single has it's moments .....

Plus - rebounds almost NEVER work out better than the relationship you just got out of.

Take a break - relax - enjoy yourself - do what YOU want to do for a while.....

Odds are you'll have more opportunities for new relationships flying at you from all angles.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-04-2015, 06:49 AM
based on comments that I hear on the facebook page of my local atheist group, it depends on where you live.

Urban areas are better than small towns, in the US, the north and western areas are easier than than the south.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2015, 07:50 AM
(28-04-2015 06:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you're just getting out - consider staying out for a while.

Being single has it's moments .....

Plus - rebounds almost NEVER work out better than the relationship you just got out of.

Take a break - relax - enjoy yourself - do what YOU want to do for a while.....

Odds are you'll have more opportunities for new relationships flying at you from all angles.

The weird part of my situation is that I was VERY christian when I met my bf and he was agnostic--which created a lot of problems in our relationship. Later on, everything shifted--he became quite spiritual--and I became an atheist. This isn't why we broke up or anything--but it was an experience (to say the least) to be on both sides of that in one relationship.

28-04-2015, 08:19 AM
From my experience, in the area I live, most people aren't interested in talking about that aspect of life, whether they are religious or not. My attempts to engage in this topic of conversation all ended poorly.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
28-04-2015, 08:59 AM
(28-04-2015 08:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  From my experience, in the area I live, most people aren't interested in talking about that aspect of life, whether they are religious or not. My attempts to engage in this topic of conversation all ended poorly.

Yeah, I like that a lot of dating sites let you check atheist when you are doing a search, however the searches don't seem to bring back a lot of like-minded people. And, I have seen some peoples' profiles on dating websites that say they will date a buddhist/taoist/spiritual/christian/catholic/hindu/jewish/catholic/muslim...but NOT an atheist.

28-04-2015, 09:04 AM
You should be fine in California. I get the impression that atheism is cool out there.

Or maybe that's just L.A. and San Francisco.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
28-04-2015, 09:16 AM
(28-04-2015 09:04 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  You should be fine in California. I get the impression that atheism is cool out there.

Or maybe that's just L.A. and San Francisco.

It's cool in the urban environments--but out country--not as much as you would think.