Dating and Relationships

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: Dating and Relationships
Hah. Yeah. I remember reading an article once that said something to the effect of "don't tell people you're an atheist on your dating profile, they'll just pass you by"... it may be true but you are actually planning to park off with the lucky fella/lady for some time (unless you're keen for a one night stand) so... IMO it pays to be upfront. I don't wanna find out stuff like that later *if* it's gonna be a problem.

For me, realise that religion is a lot less important in most people's lives than you may think. Obviously if they're nutso it'll come out in the wash fairly fast and you can wash your hands of them without any regrets and hand them over to the angry mob go on your merry way. But for a while, especially when I was exploring atheism for the first time... it became very important to me to discuss this kind of thing. I missed out on some good things 'cos of being a bit obsessive - so ja, I dunno... just extrapolating from my experience to say that if you don't sweat the religion aspect it's not a super big deal... But ja, if it's important to the other person chances are it's not gonna work so well...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-04-2015, 01:09 PM
(28-04-2015 12:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hah. Yeah. I remember reading an article once that said something to the effect of "don't tell people you're an atheist on your dating profile, they'll just pass you by"... it may be true but you are actually planning to park off with the lucky fella/lady for some time (unless you're keen for a one night stand) so... IMO it pays to be upfront. I don't wanna find out stuff like that later *if* it's gonna be a problem.

For me, realise that religion is a lot less important in most people's lives than you may think. Obviously if they're nutso it'll come out in the wash fairly fast and you can wash your hands of them without any regrets and hand them over to the angry mob go on your merry way. But for a while, especially when I was exploring atheism for the first time... it became very important to me to discuss this kind of thing. I missed out on some good things 'cos of being a bit obsessive - so ja, I dunno... just extrapolating from my experience to say that if you don't sweat the religion aspect it's not a super big deal... But ja, if it's important to the other person chances are it's not gonna work so well...

I agree with being upfront. You are right--some people say they are christian or religious--but aren't really going to church/living the lifestyle/all about god etc. I would prefer to date an atheist just because I think it makes things a little easier in a relationship when you have a similar mindset. I also think I would like the fact that we could support each other in our (non)beliefs because sometimes dealing with friends and family even after you come out as an atheist can still bring some problems/drama with it.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-04-2015, 01:29 PM
(28-04-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree with being upfront. You are right--some people say they are christian or religious--but aren't really going to church/living the lifestyle/all about god etc. I would prefer to date an atheist just because I think it makes things a little easier in a relationship when you have a similar mindset. I also think I would like the fact that we could support each other in our (non)beliefs because sometimes dealing with friends and family even after you come out as an atheist can still bring some problems/drama with it.

Yeah, those are good reasons. It's a bit of a pain to find someone like that though, and he/she may have *those* qualities but be deficient elsewhere...

For me I hate dating online. I've tried it a few times and never really found anyone I could hang out with long term. It's refreshing 'cos it's honest and everyone's clear on what they want and you can know answers to such kind of general questions before you even drop him/her a line. It's horrible 'cos it's pressure - even to get to the point of going on a date with someone... you don't know them ahead of time. I far prefer meeting people in person.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-04-2015, 01:34 PM
(28-04-2015 01:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  I far prefer meeting people in person.

Why did I read that as "I far prefer meeting people in prison"??? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-04-2015, 01:39 PM
(28-04-2015 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I suspect you're feeling guilty about jail (bait)....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-04-2015, 01:40 PM
(28-04-2015 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Well ya know. In prison they can't get away Big Grin

28-04-2015, 01:41 PM
(28-04-2015 01:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree with being upfront. You are right--some people say they are christian or religious--but aren't really going to church/living the lifestyle/all about god etc. I would prefer to date an atheist just because I think it makes things a little easier in a relationship when you have a similar mindset. I also think I would like the fact that we could support each other in our (non)beliefs because sometimes dealing with friends and family even after you come out as an atheist can still bring some problems/drama with it.

Yeah, those are good reasons. It's a bit of a pain to find someone like that though, and he/she may have *those* qualities but be deficient elsewhere...

For me I hate dating online. I've tried it a few times and never really found anyone I could hang out with long term. It's refreshing 'cos it's honest and everyone's clear on what they want and you can know answers to such kind of general questions before you even drop him/her a line. It's horrible 'cos it's pressure - even to get to the point of going on a date with someone... you don't know them ahead of time. I far prefer meeting people in person.

Yeah, I would much rather meet them in person too. Too bad there isn't some atheist grocery store somewhere, where you can just casually bump your cart into some cute single atheist *by mistake* lol

I think am going to check out that meetup site that Dom suggested.
28-04-2015, 01:44 PM
(28-04-2015 01:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, I would much rather meet them in person too. Too bad there isn't some atheist grocery store somewhere, where you can just casually bump your cart into some cute single atheist *by mistake* lol

At uni there was a girl who ran someone over with her car... they later dated... Trolley sounds like a much better option. You could always tell him he was getting off lightly Tongue Good luck Smile

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-04-2015, 01:47 PM
(28-04-2015 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 01:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, I would much rather meet them in person too. Too bad there isn't some atheist grocery store somewhere, where you can just casually bump your cart into some cute single atheist *by mistake* lol

At uni there was a girl who ran someone over with her car... they later dated... Trolley sounds like a much better option. You could always tell him he was getting off lightly Tongue Good luck Smile

Yeah I would hate to have to run someone over in order to get a date lol
29-04-2015, 06:38 AM
An alternative to putting "Atheist" on your profile is to state "no religion". That may be less confronting to someone unfamiliar with the definition usually meant on the atheist scene and may also convey that information more effectively than "atheist" does.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post