Dating as an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: Dating as an Atheist
(12-12-2015 01:02 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  I'm a 32 YO man, very passionate about my atheism. As an introvert and someone that isn't as hot as Thor, I really struggle with dating. To compound that, it's really important to me to date an atheist or secularist.

I can understand this sentiment. I've been married 12 years. My wife and I were both Christian when we married, but I stopped believing around five years ago. It's been a strain on our marriage. One of the more maddening things is that she's a pretty liberal Christian in the sense that she feels I'm going to end up in heaven when I die, anyway; I'll just have some egg on my face for having been wrong, and that will be that.

I've thought that if we ever end up getting divorced, and if I had such problems with someone as tolerant as her, how could I stand to date a theist? So, I totally get that. Religion and politics are big issues for a lot of people and can easily be deal breakers.

(12-12-2015 01:02 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  So, dating as an atheist - how do you guys (and gals) make it happen?

Sadly, I don't have a lot of tips, as I haven't dated in over a decade. I guess I'd say anything that applies to dating in general should still apply. It's just a matter of where you look. I'll echo other's advice about finding likeminded groups and seeing if you find anyone who interests you, there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 08:55 AM
(12-12-2015 05:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Hummmm... it won't let me reply to zellerscrossing's post. weird.

He messed up the quote tags in his original reply, which carried over when you tried to reply. The forum software doesn't know how to render malformed quote tags, so the entire post shows up as blank. You can still read the contents of the post if you attempt to reply to it. It's an annoying work-around.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-12-2015, 07:23 PM
(12-12-2015 05:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Hummmm... it won't let me reply to zellerscrossing's post. weird.

Here's my reply. Sorry for the blanks above.

Zellerscrossing,

You didn't have to remove it... maybe stick a smilie on it with his tongue sticking out to show snarkiness. Tongue

No worries. I was just shaking my finger at you. Big Grin

Heatheness

ha ha funny, I actually had the same problem when I tried to reply. No worries - The internet can be a mean place - glad to hear you were being snarky, as was I.

Thanks for the reply, and Take Care. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes zellerscrossing's post
14-12-2015, 07:34 PM
To Everyone - Thanks :)
Hi All,

I'm always shocked when something I post reaches more than 2--3+ pages. To those who gave thoughtful replies - THANK YOU! - from the bottom of my cold hard atheist heart - Laughat

A few things I've learned from my experience that I did not want to put in my original post:

- The gal I dated was HARDCORE christian and I still almost got her. I sort of messed her up on her belief's too which, while not my goal, was fun to watch her squirm. Especially watching her trying to reconcile why a god that loves us would also create hell - she almost gave up her faith on that one. Long story short - Yes, I have the power to convert!

- Meet-ups - i think this is great advice. Sadly, our group is a bit small with few single ladies, but yes, I think this is great advice.

- As far as my priorities - Atheism truly is #1. I can lower my standards in other departments all day long but this really has come to be very important to me. The spread of "faith" and religion are truly disgusting to me and I do hope to find someone who shares my disdain towards the god topic.

Again, thank you everyone! I wish you all the best in this crazy backwards world of ours. Smile

-ZC
[+] 2 users Like zellerscrossing's post
14-12-2015, 07:41 PM
(14-12-2015 07:34 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  Hi All,

I'm always shocked when something I post reaches more than 2--3+ pages. To those who gave thoughtful replies - THANK YOU! - from the bottom of my cold hard atheist heart - Laughat

A few things I've learned from my experience that I did not want to put in my original post:

- The gal I dated was HARDCORE christian and I still almost got her. I sort of messed her up on her belief's too which, while not my goal, was fun to watch her squirm. Especially watching her trying to reconcile why a god that loves us would also create hell - she almost gave up her faith on that one. Long story short - Yes, I have the power to convert!

- Meet-ups - i think this is great advice. Sadly, our group is a bit small with few single ladies, but yes, I think this is great advice.

- As far as my priorities - Atheism truly is #1. I can lower my standards in other departments all day long but this really has come to be very important to me. The spread of "faith" and religion are truly disgusting to me and I do hope to find someone who shares my disdain towards the god topic.

Again, thank you everyone! I wish you all the best in this crazy backwards world of ours. Smile

-ZC

If the meet-ups where you are are small--maybe expand your area a bit?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-12-2015, 07:56 PM
(14-12-2015 07:34 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  Hi All,

-ZC

Well don't give up. I met some one on here, so it does happen.